Honda Insight Forum banner

Fuel Filter?

16K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Willie Williford 
#1 ·
Where is it located and what is the mileage recommendation to replace it?

#3 ·
#4 ·
Found this in the manual:

FUEL FILTER REPLACEMENT
The fuel filter should be replaced whenever the fuel pressure drops below the
specified value (270-320 kPa, 2.8-3.3 kgf/cm2 , 40-47 psi with the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose disconnected and pinched) after making sure that the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator are OK.

#6 ·
Sorry, I got to this thread through Active Topics and it didn't indicate G1 or G2, yes the info I posted was for Gen 1. Good luck with getting the info you need for Gen2.

#7 ·
Sorry to be raising this back from the dead but... any info yet?
The gas around here is basically crap and i cannot find anything useful in my manual so any info would help. If i wait to change the filtrre at the mileage stated on the manual it would be blocked, no dispute on that!
So what needs to be stripped from the car in order to reach the tank and how do we test the efficiency of the filtre prior to changing it?
:confused:

#8 ·
To test it you measure the fuel psi. Typically when you have low fuel psi its a blocked filter. Next is the regulator. If you have no fuel psi its typically the pump, although Ive seen bad pumps give low psi.

Ok, so remove your back seat, remove the rubber round plug, unscrew the outer plastic ring, pull out this cylinder of fuel delivery engineering. The filter is at the very bottom of the stack. Yeah, the filter is inside the gas tank mounted tothe fuel pump. This is why I advocate keeping half a tank as the fuel helps to cool your pump and this allows crap to settle to the bottom of your tank vs you sucking it all in.

#10 ·
Fuel pressure is normally measured at the "bleed valve"or schrader valve on the fuel lines. It should have an accurate gauge installed there for a precise measurement.
The measurement should be taken with the engine at idle for the min. reading.and then disconnect the vaucmn line that is hooked to the regulator and pinch it off to stop any air leak. That will show you the max. pressure. The engine will probably run rough for a few seconds due to the rich mixture. Any good mechanical shop should be able to help you.

HTH
Willie

#14 ·
I just checked AUTOZONE on line, and they show a "fuel pump strainer" which is actually the filter for a "submerged" fuel pump.

HTH
Willie

#15 ·
I seriously doubt a filter is needed. Gasoline is a solvent and can travel through a lot of trash before its stopped completely or enough to hinder performance.

Our engines hyperventilate over 4500 rpms. If you are tuning your Insight you need to do some force induction, then bump up the regulator psi, use dual high volume pumps and possibility larger injectors from the Fit.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

#17 ·
I seriously doubt a filter is needed. Gasoline is a solvent and can travel through a lot of trash before its stopped completely or enough to hinder performance.

Our engines hyperventilate over 4500 rpms. If you are tuning your Insight you need to do some force induction, then bump up the regulator psi, use dual high volume pumps and possibility larger injectors from the Fit.

HYPERVENTILATE? Please explain that!

#16 ·
The fuel pump strainer is needed to prevent anything from being pulled up into the fuel pump causing it to lock up and fail. It is really cheap insurance for the fuel pump.

#18 ·
"Dual high volume pumps".....Explain also?

Willie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.