Honda Insight Forum banner

CVT refusing to shift?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Cobb 
#1 ·
I wanted to film some 0 to 60 runs to see if there was any difference in times with eco on or off and the egr unplugged as well as different octane fuels. Well, to my disappointment I couldnt get the car to shift at 6 grand. I paniced and clicked the paddle a few times thinking it didnt register. Then it occured me, maybe its slipping?

Any ideas?

#4 ·
1. that is one healthy assist in an eco mode off. i will get as little as 25% assist if went on WOT like that and for a short period of time only.

2. i noticed how smooth the rpm went up till 6000rpm. how u do that

3. i noticed too that the assist went up first, followed by the engine while the assist sustained. my car wudnt do that. need to check my car's computer?

#5 ·
I would say this was a perfect launch, just strange I couldnt shift, but the cvt kept upping the ratio. After 16 or so stop lights I get a situation where the assist meter peggs after 10-20 mph, then there is a pause of a few seconds before the engine rpms kick up and the acceleration kicks in again. This isnt the perfect car for stop n go driving as the launches are not repeatable.

Smooth rpms? What does yours do? How frequently do you change the cvt fluid? I do it with my engine oil change.

My insight was one of the first ones out in 09, I bought a March made model in May. To my knowledge the computer has never been updated.

Sometimes when I launch the car it wont even get that high in the rpm band. Here I have the car floored both times I do to accelerate and it wont break 5 grand.

I dont know where you are from, but we got some a-holes on the road and reverse a-holes. The reverse a-holes if they see you accelerating they merge in front of you and hold you up like in this second video. The other ones are the ones that get 2 ft from your bumper or cut in front of you and disapear.

#7 ·
No, I had it do this before without the light. I had blocked off the egr for more performance. Seems 93 octane gas gives the same benefit.

I am guessing its the fuzzy logic kicking in and if the load is too high it wont let the engine loose rpms and just keeps upping the ratio vs letting it shift to a preset ratio.

I was ready to go to the dealer to get it lookd at and see if they would hook up the computer, but I was laid off. Ill have to wait til I get another job before I do that or any other modifications. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.