Honda Insight Forum banner

Where do I begin?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  JohnVirginia 
#1 ·
Hello new member but have been around and have owned several 1st Gen Insights!

My post is in regards to a car (2002 Insight) that is arriving at my home tomorrow- I just purchased it, from the original owner. It's a 2002 CVT with only 12,981 original miles on it!

Talking to Honda Dealer, they recommended all fluid changes ( I agree) with a high pressure Fuel system cleaning that includes the injectors.

My next adventure will be the IMA battery, Honda America has no other records but of it's sale in Aug. of 2002.

My plan is to put my grid charger on it, and see where I'm at, any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks,
Aaron

#2 ·
The dealer will probably read the DCL, if you have any hint of a battery problem twist the dealers arm for a new battery even though you are a little over the time limit. They'll want you to keep coming back for service etc. and they make money on warranty work.

#3 · (Edited)
That is for sure, I've already got Honda America Committed to help with the IMA, they just said to go to the dealer and find out exactly what the car needs and due to mileage and just being out of warranty- they expressed a desire to want to help and work on a case by case basis- on stuff like this! :)

VERY COOL! :)

#11 ·
I've already got Honda America Committed to help with the IMA, they just said to go to the dealer and find out exactly what the car needs and due to mileage and just being out of warranty- they expressed a desire to want to help and work on a case by case basis- on stuff like this!
Good luck with that. My 02 is 2 months out of warranty and Honda told me the same thing. Took it to a dealer which said it needs a battery. Honda says because its out of both the 8 year original warranty and the 10 year extended one, they can't cover it. I can't really blame them and can't really expect to be gifted a $3000 battery when the warranty is pretty clear. So unless you got something in writing, I'd be a bit skeptical.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum. Don't forget to check the ground straps and 12v battery health.

#6 ·
Well, There is a Citrus in TX with about 820 miles :rolleyes: But yes yours is still in the ultra rare as-new category.

#8 ·
Pretty cool news, turns out this car was owned by the City Portland itself. Director of Transportation who got caught up in some kind of misconduct in 2011- it was a State owned and Maintained vehicle! :)

It's been serviced yearly as an Exempt State Vehicle so ALL IS WELL- drives like a dream, you'd think it was new, with smell and everything, crazy find... :)

#9 ·
Great find. You've got a keeper! Congratulations!

#12 ·
My thoughts too after talking to then again- a different rep made it sound different- so yeah im not depending on them. Car within first 50 miles of driving did Low/High recal. It was nothing I wasn't expecting- installing Grid Charger and harness ASAP- I think it will be just fine- Great cars, ill always own one- until the Gov. takes it away... :) Hah!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.