For Sale - 2002 Blue, high mileage, bad battery - SFV, CA - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Insightful Deals > Buy/Sell Insight-Related Items

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default For Sale - 2002 Blue, high mileage, bad battery - SFV, CA

Hey guys.

I have a 2002 Blue Insight with 210,323 miles. I am the brother of the original owner. I took possession of the car 2 years ago and the car has been driven 50 miles in that time. I have to sell it and want to make sure a “family member” gets it so it’s not yet listed anywhere but here.

Here’s the sad story…

Brother bought it new and used it for his long daily commute. He loved it. Original battery died and was replaced by dealer. That battery eventually died and was now out of warranty due to mileage. I did the research here (great resource!) and found out how to pull and ship the battery to Ron Hansen / Hybrid-Battey. Got it repaired and I reinstalled the battery.

Brother drove it for another 6 months until it again showed IMA light due to bad battery. Ron agreed to repair under warrantee so I again pulled and again shipped the battery to him.

Then, the Ron problem…. Long time goes by with me being patient, then annoyed, then aggressive with the phone calls. I get the same stories everyone else reported “your batter is next in line, is almost done, will ship next week” until I hear here that he’s out of business and everyone else is out of luck. Somehow, magically, a battery arrives from him in a cardboard box that same week. No explanation, no note, nothing. I consider myself EXTREMELY lucky that he only stole my time, peace-of-mine and the repair costs I’d paid him since I know some people lost more.

I reinstall the battery, but the battery cooling fan is missing. I reread the disassembly instructions he had sent and can’t figure out if I sent the fan to him and he didn’t return it or I just misplaced it during the time I had the car in storage. I am 90% sure that the fan must be in my garage (misplaced by me) since I don’t think the fan even fit in his shipping crate. But there’s that other 10% of uncertainity….so I’m blaming Ron.

Anyway, I had hopes of getting the battery fixed and doing other minor repairs to the Insight and putting it back in service. But I have other issues now that prevent me from putting more money into it, my brother has a new hybrid and I have to give up on this project.

For sale: 2002 Blue Insight. No accidents. High lifetime MPG. All work, down to oil changes, done at local dealer. Located in the San Fernando Valley, CA. No issues with the 5 speed transmission – I know some people report age related stickiness. AC good, no body damage.

The negatives: Battery is of unknown state. Battery fan is missing. Windshield is cracked – one of the things I’d planned on replacing. In general, the car is probably not as pristine as some of yours both because of the high mileage and because my brother is not the kind of guy who “cleans.” Having said that, I emphasize that all maintenance was done on schedule by the dealer and I see no mechanical problems with the car other than as listed.

Am thinking $2,500 is a fair price (considering my location – I know prices are lower in other parts of the country) since I’m thinking it would take $1, 500 to put it in good shape (battery, windshield, detailing).

You can contact me here or via PM and I’ll give you a phone number for more detailed questions. Can get pictures and I’m willing to work with you to get the car into the right hands - am flexible on the price for a forum member.

It’s been a bittersweet experience but I’d feel better knowing one of you could use it.
IneritedInsight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Some pictures. Full resolution/size upon request. No significent body damage but there are some paint chips and weathering (above driver's door roof and black is chipped off window moldings).

Last edited by IneritedInsight; 11-06-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

One more, with the lifetime MPG and proof that the CEL and IMA lights are on!

Re-emphasizing that the price is completely negotiable and am also willing to trade.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Insight now just now went over 150,000 miles. I would not hesitate for a second to buy one with over 200,000 (if I had the money). Somebody here needs to buy this one. With what we know now with charging and balancing the buyer could probably get another year out of this battery then buy a new one.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

I want it.
speedyssss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

speedyssss got it.

Happy he did - he's an enthusiast and I'm sure he'll be able to give it the attention it needs and get another 100k miles from it.

I only drove this car a few miles but I was involved with it for two years. Very cool car.

Best, and Out!
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Good for Speedy, I was really on the fence about it. Do I need another Insight? I'm glad I don't have to make the decision, but it does look like a good car for the price.
#1 - 2000 Silver #4965, not working now, 175k Miles, 61 LMPG - will probably turn into all Electric
#2 - 2000 Silver #4095, 212k Miles, 55 LMPG, OBDIIC&C by Peter, GCIM1 by Mike, New MaxIMA by Eli
www.TucsonEV.com
Tucson AZ
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.