Lifetime MPG stuck in a loop - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2017, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Has this ever happened to anyone?

I recently made a few long highway trips that got my LMPG up to 64.9. for the last few weeks it has been steadily going down (I normally get around 60 with my normal commute and street/hwy mix), and now I'm at 62.5.

Here's the problem: it went down to 62.2, then when I was going up a 6% grade and it went back UP to 62.5...That's impossible, cuz I was getting 25mpg up the grade (according to the real time slider thingie). So then I was going for a few more miles and it went to 62.0, so I thought it was just some weird calculation, but now it seemed normal, but then it went back up to 62.2 under heavy load.

So now it keeps going 62.2 -> 62.5-> 60.0. ->62.2->62.5->62.0->62.2->62.5->62.0. Etc, etc.

Should I just reset it? What's the deal?
SmartGoKart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2017, 12:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

do a 12v battery reset, i had something strange happen when my DC converter fuse blew under the dash(lmpg wouldn't show or update at all), resetting the battery after fixing the problem fixed it.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

What miles are you showing? During the readings.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 399,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
What miles are you showing? During the readings.

Willie
What do you mean? The funky thing is that when I've got it under heavy load, say 3rd gear going up hill, it will go up to 62.5, then it'll go to 62.0 when I've been driving in lean burn for awhile.

I think it's also worth noting that FCd and all other tripdometers are working normally. It's only my lmpg with the odometer read out that it's affecting.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday on the way to Scott's in Covina.
I don't monitor the trip mpg much, so this was seen on my LMPG setting.(189K+)
It kept jumping from 58.2 back to 58.0 numerous times. It only settled back to 58.2 after I was on the way home and my avg. mpg on the trip back was much better.
I would say it is normal for the programming in the ECU to that as the miles get more and more.
Don't forget due to the weather and "winter blend" of fuel your MPG will drop a bunch.

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 399,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 01:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Alright, so I disconnected the 12v and it worked. Kind of strange tho, cuz when I disconnected it it was on 62.5, and when I turned it back on it went straight to 61.8, so the ECU seems like it was still keeping track..Must have been a guage cluster issue.

Now for another interesting thing: the reason I didn't reset the 12v right away (just did it today) was cuz it didn't seem urgent. So, I'm driving around today and I was like 4 notches down from a full IMA charge and all the sudden it just started dropping..All the way down to 3 notches away from complete discharge in about half a mile. No IMA light or anything..Just started to discharge for no reason. Wtf?

So, I reset the ECU and it's at full charge again and working just fine. Is there a known issue with the guage clusters where they just start acting funny?
Old 01-10-2017, 01:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGoKart View Post
Alright, so I disconnected the 12v and it worked. Kind of strange tho, cuz when I disconnected it it was on 62.5, and when I turned it back on it went straight to 61.8, so the ECU seems like it was still keeping track..Must have been a guage cluster issue.

Now for another interesting thing: the reason I didn't reset the 12v right away (just did it today) was cuz it didn't seem urgent. So, I'm driving around today and I was like 4 notches down from a full IMA charge and all the sudden it just started dropping..All the way down to 3 notches away from complete discharge in about half a mile. No IMA light or anything..Just started to discharge for no reason. Wtf?

So, I reset the ECU and it's at full charge again and working just fine. Is there a known issue with the guage clusters where they just start acting funny?
This is a negative recal. The car loses track of the battery capacity and recalculates it. It would have been ok without your reset, but you forced it to do it again. Not a problem because it seems to have fixed your other problem at the same time.

An occasional recal is not a big problem, but when it starts doing it frequently there is a 1447 or 1449 coming soon. Time to grid charge.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 02:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Previous owner actually already has it wired up for a grid charger, but he had multiple insights so he didn't give me a grid charger. I gotta get one.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

You're half way there, then. It's cheap and easy to build one, and doesn't require much in the way of tools and skills.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

it also takes some time for the BCM to learn just how much capacity your battery has and adjust accordingly. the level it shows after an initial reset is just a guesstimate by the computer based on the initial and after charge voltage levels.

the SOC bars may be slightly erratic for a few drive cycles til it figures things out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question