Convertible! - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thank you all for your responses. The irony is I could have had a spare complete tailgate 4 months ago when I was buying other bits. Daz a Honda enthusiast into drag racing also had both doors and rear bumper but I just did not have the space to take them away as I already had a back axle to collect!

A temporary 4 mm Lexan screen is being professionaly fitted until Honda can supply a new one. The official position is that they are on back order and not available till June. I will howeve continue to search for any S/H in the Uk as I fully expect that delivery may not happen as Honda may no longer have stock in Japan.

Will update all with a picture after I collect the car and have more facts in a few days.
Now pondering if the removal of the rear wiper motor and less weight of the Lexan will be offset by the slight increase in frontal area/drag, possible gain/ loss in mpg!
Mudfoot57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
eq1

Can you please take a couple pictures of the Lexan install and post them here? I'm mainly wondering how a flat piece of Lexan will look compared to the curved OEM glass...
Old 03-20-2017, 05:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Eq1 - I will post pictures as soon as I have the car back. Like yourself I'm interested to see how different it looks. They did warn me that although it wil be properly glued in and water tight they will probably tape the edges to prevent any chances of drag/wind causing a peeling effect.

We will have to see how this goes. My partner Lyn thinks I should buy a proper car, but I'd rather but a 2nd Insight and lay this one up if needs be until a proper screen is available.

Temptation is almost too much as there is a nice looking black one on eBay for a few more days at an affordable price. To quote Honda - The power of dreams!

Old 03-20-2017, 06:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
eq1

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for those... I've occasionally thought about trying a plastic rear window, mainly just for 'styling'. The rear hatch has nice lines - the metal, frame part. But the OEM hatch glass bulges up and makes the car look hunch-back, like a turtle, and obscures those lines. It's practical, that bulge, as it creates more 'headroom' in the hatch area. But it looks ugly... Plus of course you'd get weight savings with plastic. But if the plastic weren't durable enough and really scratched easily and/or discolored easily, then I wouldn't bother...
Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Mudfoot57 - look out for a Private Message from me, I may be able to help.
2005 Insight, UK Spec Silver 5 speed with Grid Charger, IMA C&C, Alpine stereo & subwoofer & iPod link, Focal component speakers, rear Gaz shocks & Matiz springs, Shark Fin aerial, sound deadened rear shelf, 'InsightCentral' reg plates
Also own 2011 Mk2 Insight ES. Previous owner of 1999 Japanese Silver 5sp, 2001 UK Citrus 5sp & 2000 Japanese Red CVT
Honda Insight - An extraordinary car for ordinary people
The Citrus Smoothie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 10:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

i really doubt you will want to keep the lexan as a long term replacement, unless you can get into heating and bending it yourself and replacing it yourself every few years.

i actually bought a bunch of scrap lexan from the race supply house, they cut them dozens at a time as the racers usually replace them after a season of use.

mostly i guess it will be how carefully you wash the car, it can be repolished but eventually scratches will take over as will the sun beating down on it. probably use RainX on it so you won't have to use a wiper, as that would expedite the process. Fogging is a whole other can of worms though and i got no suggestions there.

Last edited by Lyger; 03-20-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Lyger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 05:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

There's a silver car being broken on uk eBay. Search for Honda Insight 00
Jonny69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

Default Temporary Lexan rear hatch

I have now done 700 miles in the last 8 days with no problems so far. Wiper motor removed, edges tapped but no noticeable increase in noise or drag!

I can live with this as its summer and contemplating not having a rear wiper when the new one is fitted. It will be interesting to see how the new de- mister will work.

Yes the Lexan will scratch and water dries on it in a bit of a film but I'll try and clean and polish then use some rain x and see how that works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (169.1 KB, 20 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question