Underbody panels - how important? - Page 4 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #31 (permalink)

I would say the answer to the question of "how important are the under-body panels" can be answered by:

--- how often are you on the freeway?

The faster one drives, the more important the panels are.

I would estimate that the panels are good for about 5 mpg at 55 mph and up.

Jim.
3-Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #32 (permalink)

I took some pictures of my car. It was raining out so I could not really get great pictures, may redo them. But you can see what I am dealing with, with absolutely no under body panels and also the holes that hold the panels on are ripped.

Here is the link to my pictures.
ImageShack Album - 32 images

What I am wondering about is where do those panels #5 & #7, go? Am I missing those? The link is here for the #.
Large Image for - 2000 HONDA INSIGHT FRONT FENDERS - Honda Parts from Lings Honda

Are the holes in the bumper that hold in the air dams broke, or are they cut like that normally?

Can you determine anything else by looking at the pictures of my car? Why do you think I am missing all of my panels? Do you think they got all ripped off at the same time?

I also noticed that my front bumper is a bit loose. Do you think this is because of the lack of support of the under body panels?

EDIT: I also wanted to piont out, in this picture below, there is a bracket you can see at the bottom of the radiator (or that metal below the radiator). There are 2 of these brackets. I think mine are actually bent up. Looks like previous owner bottomed out on something. Do these brackets hold the body panels on? This would be #2 in the bumper category, based on your UK numbering or in this link. http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/ho...block_03=19733

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/dscf3588t.jpg/

Last edited by insightbuyer; 10-27-2011 at 02:22 PM.
insightbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightbuyer View Post
What I am wondering about is where do those panels #5 & #7, go?
I'd be guessing but possibly behind the bumper in front of the rad apron???, I did not notice these on my car when down there. Looking at some wrecked cars in the knowledge base may show some of the part in question exposed but it's hard to tell.
My rationale for thinking it's behind the plastic bumper is as there is a large fastener at the front of 5/7, and a square hole in the lower part of the front of the 11/16 parts [that ties the plastic wheel tub to the lower engine panel at the edge].

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightbuyer View Post
Are the holes in the bumper that hold in the air dams broke, or are they cut like that normally?
Can't tell from pics, just an opinion here, but if there are tears in other front sections of the bumper, maybe it's broken and pulled out. If the holes there are symmetrical on both sides i'd say it's likely normal, but otherwise likely not and broken at a guess.

The bracket mentioned in the [edit] is for the rear cross brace for the underpan panels if not mistaken.

[EDIT: was mistaken, wrong end !
I see what you mean now, for the front lower bumper.
Perhaps can you straighten them in a vice or with a hammer and block?]

I see what you mean re: quiet a lot gone there from what appears could have been an off road excursion. Since it all tacks together one part to the next that would explain a loose bumper if fasteners there have not been additionally compromised from the damage.
Engine P-Codes Diagnostics etc Google Spreadsheet

Last edited by AbCaRed00; 10-28-2011 at 12:19 AM.
AbCaRed00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #34 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

The panels make little if any difference for mpg, I know as mine were off for about 6 months. What they are most definitely good for is protecting the engine bay from debris, water, etc. and possibly holding in heat in the winter.

Instead of replacing the lost panels with stock panels do what some other users have done including myself. Get a sheet of high impact abs or aluminum and make your own under body panel.

Work in Progress: DIY under panel..

2000 DIY Garrett GT12 Turboed Silver Insight, #5550
Pioneer P3900MP CD/MP3 4 X Polk Audio 6.5", Stealth Box
Mima #47, BCM Gauge, Ford Hybrid Escaped™ custom 150v 11AH battery pack w. 20% current mod, Matiz rear springs & Monroe shocks, 25mm rear wheel spacers & Blasphemer™ spat cutout, single cone tranny mod
uhtrinity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #35 (permalink)

Can anyone find a good diagram of all the underbody panels? I know I am missing the main one under the engine - but can't figure out if there is just one giant one up front, or a couple side ones that I am missing as well. I'm also unsure about the rear/side panels...
porshuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #36 (permalink)

Interesting viewpoint @AbCaRed00;

I was planning on pulling my underbody panels off for the winter, as I've already ripped one off and repaired it going through a deep puddle at speed, I figured having them on when trudging through 6" of snow seemed like a bad idea.
John Wayland's Shoebox Sub
OBDIIC&C Gauge v0.02 (Beta Test Team Member)
Plug-n-Play MIMA #172P
Elegant FAS Prototype
Grid Charger built into IPU

Future mods:
Economy data miner?

http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-metric/79072.png
racer26 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #37 (permalink)

Porshuh: in that post just above yours, there is a link in there to a thread on this forum that has many detailed pictures of under the car. It will have what you are looking for.
insightbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer26 View Post
I was planning on pulling my underbody panels off for the winter, as I've already ripped one off and repaired it going through a deep puddle at speed, I figured having them on when trudging through 6" of snow seemed like a bad idea.
I hope it may save some grief, in addition and not initially mentioned, as the plastic panels would not have prevented it, ...but the oil pan on that vehicle was dented, because of the very uneven rutty road surface, and oil pressure light showed up on idle. What a mess.
Had to drop that car's steel oil pan and bang it away from the oil strainer pickup point.
I'd worry in similar circumstance the magnesium alloy oil pan on the Honda Insight needing replacement or tig welding due to fracture.

All the more towards Uhtrinity's comments on a strong underpan design linked in his comment. Great suggestion if you have to travel in rough road conditions by necessity.
In sport, I used to ice race small cars on frozen lakes and mounting the plowed up icy snow banks around the road course was not uncommon. We used a 2-3mm thick aluminum underpan sheet fastened and suspended with a couple large bolts up front to the rad apron and two J-shaped curled steel 1" wide straps about 6" or so long in the rear, mounted to the chassis 'frame rails'. The latter j-hook type straps were for a bit of flex so not to dent the sheets too easily if mounting the snowbanks going off-course which happened from time to time.
Underpan materials could be obtained from salvage yards or brand new thicker gauge aluminum stuff could be got from a place called 'the metal supermarket' which was a good source. [ US, Canada, UK locations]
Some guys with industry access used cut up old multi-ply rubber conveyor belt sections as air dams in front, and also under the cars. These were bolted directly to the bumper and under body using large washers.

Last edited by AbCaRed00; 10-28-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #39 (permalink)

Can anyone tell me the part numbers for the underbody panels under the middle of the car? I need a few of the plastic ones near the exhaust, under the seat area.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Speed View Post
Can anyone tell me the part numbers for the underbody panels under the middle of the car? I need a few of the plastic ones near the exhaust, under the seat area.

System Name\Component
: INNER PANEL

74603-S3Y-000
042 001 COVER, R. FR. FLOOR (LOWER) 106.63 74.64 Qty: 1
74613-S3Y-000
044 001 COVER, L. FR. FLOOR (LOWER) 106.63 74.64 Qty: 1

Honda Automotive Parts

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...3y01_b4910.png

Last edited by AbCaRed00; 11-06-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.