driving on snow and ice - Page 3 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 02:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default Re: driving on snow and ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by malachev
http://www.lacledechain.com/cat/traction/pass_alpinedetail.php

I believe there are several other companies making a similar chain. This style has superior grip because the diamond shaped patter always chain links between your tire and the snow/ice. In addition, you can install and tighten this chain without ever moving your vehicle, an advantage if an unexpected spinout has put you in a snowbank. This style is not cheap, $80 seems to be the going rate. As I've hinted in my previous post, my commute involves mountain drive with up to 20% grades, not to mention that the driveway into work is a killer, and my fellow coworkers love to watch the amateur snow drivers spin themselves silly trying to get up.

Clint
Thank you for the explanation. I just called SCC (Security Chain Company, 1-503-656-5400), and asked them about what they had with this characteristic (i.e., continuous contact with the ground). They said that of the five devices they have to fit our stock tires, two (SC1014 & QG1114) are "ladder style," and thus don't maintain continuous contact. The other three always have contact with the ground:
Shur Grip Z (SZ315) - their "standard" Class S cable
Super Z6 (SZ115) - their super-low clearance cable (6mm)
Whitestar (WS1604) - their competitor to the Alpine, "but alloy, and with bigger wire"
It looks like all three of these products retail for about $70.

He said our cars don't require super-low clearance, so the "Super Z6" provides no real advantage for us (but no disadvantage either).
Advantages of cable over chain? "Longer life, runs more smoothly."

Note 1: I have no financial interest in SCC, but have used their products in the past with good results. I assume other manufacturers sell equivalent products.
Note 2: Before buying anything, please verify that this information is accurate. I did not double-check any of it.
EricZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #22 (permalink)

I'm a lifelong Texan who will be relocating to Durango, CO in a few weeks. I transported my Insight to Durango last week and drove around the area for a few days during a terrible storm. The area received over a foot of snow. I thought the traction was comparable to other front drive light cars. The major problem I noticed was ground clearance. The conditions were mostly ice with large amounts of buildup in the center of the road. My biggest conern was that I high centered several times.
atlaw4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #23 (permalink)

Hello Everyone!

My hubby and I live at the end of a long dirt road in Minnesota; we bought the Insight new in 2001. And I think we lost the undertray panels in front about 100,000 miles ago. What's left of them, anyway, got modified (pruned away) at each oil change. Made a big difference in improving road noise!

BTW this is my first post -- and I'm afraid I'm Insight-free at the moment , due going too fast through a 6" unplowed snowfall on Dec. 23rd on my 30 mile commute. Lost control at 30 mph when I went up a rise, hit a snowdrift and got in the way of a pickup; I was unhurt, but the Insight was struck in the rear quarterpanel and messed up tire/axle and more. We were going to drive it until it dropped! Just had had a 200,000 mile birthday cupcake this fall. Still had the original clutch and tranny I learned manual on. It ALWAYS started in ANY weather. A great little "truck".

So today State Farm decided to total it... and the money (Way more than it's Blue Book value!) is going directly into a newer, much-lower-mileage one-owner Insight!
Northwoods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #24 (permalink)

Glad you're ok! Great end to a story, and this is a buyer's market. I checked ebay, and they are not even selling, whereas a few months ago people were bidding like crazy with gas over $4. I am sure you will be happy with a lower mileage one!
113k p1447 pack/mcm/bcm
105k engine grounds
43k LAF sensor
budomove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2009, 12:13 AM   #25 (permalink)
Premium Member

The sad story of the 200k Insight is how I got mine. Totaled my 92 Saab in avoiding a head on just after Christmas, car ended up in a snowy field with not much left of the left front fender. So a new to me Insight found its way into the garage and I am liking being able to get 50 mpg even in on a slush and snow covered road with more coming down. The car has winter tires which I already have tested spinning up a hill on my dirt road. It moves around much more in the ice / slush ruts than the Saab did, and am thinking adding studs next winter as I have on other cars. Next winter for safety sake we will get some aluminum on the underbody panels.

I also found it interesting at speed (over 70) on the dry pavement of a well worn interstate. There are depressions in the pavement and a little oscillation can develop, disconcerting.
Milage: 65mpg on 80 mile commute summer, 55 in winter.
seabag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #26 (permalink)

Default Driving in Snow

Thought I would post an update about the Insight and snow driving. First if you're using the RE-92's, purchase a good set of low clearance chains. The RE-92's are like driving a wet bar of soap in snow, they also hydroplane fairly easily.

If you do bit the bullet and buy a dedicated set of winter tires, stick to the original 165/65 14 size. I tried going a size wider 2 winters ago and the performance was poor even with chains on. I HIGHLY recommend the Blizzard Blizzak's. A word of warning, especially when they're new, the Insight will plow through very deep snow over a foot deep and I have torn off the underpanels without realizing it because of the excellent traction from the Blizzak's. Part of my winterizing regime is to Gorilla tape up all the underpanels including underneath the front bumper. Then I'm all ready to practice my snow and ice drifting skills!
malachev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #27 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Just a friendly reminder: If you drive in a snow-prone area, your underbody panels may be in danger of getting ripped off.

It happened to me in a flooded area once before and again tonight in the snow/frozen slush.

I was a day too late in taking them off for the winter.

Silver 2001 5spd - #0160 Sold to fellow Insight owner
Citrus #1159 DD
Citrus #2083
Sold to a fellow Insight owner.
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #28 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

This is my first winter with my Insight. I'm accustomed to being able to slosh and slide through some of the slop when I encounter a good pile of it. The other day while driving on rural road with a couple inches of slushy mix, the rear end was unstable. Had me concerned whether I could keep the car straight with oncoming traffic going by.

I'll experiment some more.

Good info on the underpanels.

..Bob
Go Navy or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.