Avoid Coast to Coast Auto Glass - HORROR STORY! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Artric
Default Avoid Coast to Coast Auto Glass - HORROR STORY!

I've had a number of terrible customer service experiences, and unfortunately a lot lately. However, this one really takes the cake. I'm still aghast from what happened this morning.

But let's start from the beginning. Sales folks from Coast to Coast Auto Glass had came to my work a number of times. They check for cracks and offer their "free" service (in FL there is no deductible for having this replaced). I had said no a number of times, as I knew it was a difficult process on the Insight. Finally, one salesman talked me into it, and guaranteed me they'd be doing everything right, including replacing the clips that are known (expected) to break.

I told them that as long as they show up with the proper materials, I'll let them do it. Saturday comes around and they call me, telling me that they didn't list any parts required, (not even the top moulding for the glass). I tell them that it is a low production car, and it is unlikely for them to have that information.

I did my best to provide the info. They reschedule for the next Saturday, first thing in the AM (8AM). Much later, I get a call. The guy argues with me and tells me that none of the clips will break. He also tells me that if they do, that they do not seal the car, and water will not leak in. He says that he knows all about the first generation Insight (yeah right). He guarantees me that he's sending out "his best guy" and that they do not break clips. He says that if someone breaks them, they don't know what they're doing. I finally agree that they can do it, but if they break anything, they will be required to replace it.

Then a number of hours later, two guys show up. These guys were cool, understood me, and listened as I explained. They advised that what the guy on the phone had said was wrong, clips break, and even gave me examples. They admitted they had never worked on one of these and asked to see the diagrams that I mentioned.

I showed them a number of pictures and schematics from this site (thanks guys). They agreed that they couldn't do the job, and put in a request for the clips. They asked me to email me the information (and make it foolproof), so I did. Below is what I emailed:

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for hearing me out and being willing to do the job right!

As I promised, here's all of the information that you'll need to know regarding removing and reinstalling the A-pillar garnish that is required for windshield installation on my 2001 Honda Insight: how the clips break, how many of them there are, part numbers, etc.

Here is a diagram of all of the clips that are under the garnish piece: http://i43.tinypic.com/drb2o5.jpg

This site has another diagram, but also shows the part number and pricing: Honda Automotive Parts

Clips Required:
14 pieces of clip A (# 33) Part Number: 91503-S3Y-003
2 pieces of clip B (# 34) Part Number: 91504-S3Y-003
2 pieces of clip E (# 35) Part Number: 91505-S3Y-003
2 pieces of clip F (# 3 Part Number: 91511-S3Y-003

It has been thoroughly documented that all of these pieces are known to break upon removal. Additionally, this car is unique, in that when they are broken, the car will leak. It is discussed in these posts: Grrrrrrr...Just had to order both door garnishes
Wet Seatbelt

For reference, here are a couple of other discussions where owners discuss the clips breaking upon removal:
Garnish Assy Clip: Question?
Wet Seatbelt

This car is extremely uncommon, and it is unlikely that the installer will have worked on it before. I'm supplying this information to help - not trying to be a jerk! I apologize if I've come off that way. I really appreciate your help!
A few days go by, and first thing this morning, the same rude guy calls me back. I was so taken aback by what he said, that I can't quote his exact words. He told me that I was wrong, didn't know what I was talking about, and that the clips would not cause the car to leak. He told me that they know what they were doing and that they were canceling the job. He then hung up on me before I could even respond. I'm not exaggerating here, no joke!

Needless to say, if they come around my workplace again, I'm going to ask them to leave. They are not getting any business from us ever again.

I've emailed their main contacts, including PR. I'm including a link to this thread. Let's see if they can make it right.

I'm not electric, I just coast a lot.

91.49 MPG Ownership Avg, Best Tank: 1203 Miles @ 115.1 MPG with gas to spare. #InsightFTW! Now With 100% More MIMA & a custom grid charger... or two! Newest mod: Peter's BCM Gauge, love it!

14, 47, 80, 113
Artric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

In my case, I am removing my pillars my self, go to the shop to replace the windshield, and then I reinstall my pillars. I will never let anyone touch my moldings.
talonmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

But how much is it for all of the clips? About $50? That's insane!

91.49 MPG Ownership Avg, Best Tank: 1203 Miles @ 115.1 MPG with gas to spare. #InsightFTW! Now With 100% More MIMA & a custom grid charger... or two! Newest mod: Peter's BCM Gauge, love it!

14, 47, 80, 113
Old 07-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

there must be some technique to removing this Trim without breaking the clips. I see in the diagram, they instruct us to push the trim towards the back and out after undoing the lower bolt. Maybe this way, the clips come out of the trim, but still stay in the body. Then afterwards we can try to carefully remove the clips from the body one by one. Because even in the service manual it says to use a clip removal tool, but it also says to replace any damaged clips. At-least it doesn't say break clips to remove trim...

http://i43.tinypic.com/drb2o5.jpg

I have a feeling that sliding the trim is the key. Because even when I replacing the lower rocker trim, I had to figure out that sliding it forwards released all the clips.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Perhaps you could remove the moldings carefully and simply wait and see how many break off during removal.

Then you can just buy the number of replacements you need instead of buying all of them.
Varak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

They will all break. I have tried everything. It is impossible, unless you could pinch the clip by the inside of the car
talonmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

A long time ago when searching for a water leak that came from the back window, I removed the passenger side trim to check under that area and I did not break any clips. The car was newer back then so perhaps the plastic clips get brittle over time.

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner
Low Speed Auto Stop (LSAS)
ABS - IMA regen enabler (allows regen during ABS)
Relocated outside temp sensor near mid engine
Cooling fans powered by 12V Solar Panel

2004 CVT Red Insight

2001 MT Blue Insight
Installed clutch switch with relay for AutoStop
(on the road with 290,000 miles)
joecvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm thinking that's most likely the case. This is an almost ten year old florida car, so I expect them all to break.

I'm going to try to speak to a reputable shop, come in with all of the information and see what they have to say. My good friend works with high-dollar mustangs, so hopefully their guy will not turn his nose up at my request for precision...

14, 47, 80, 113
Old 07-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

And I'm thinking you're extremely smart/lucky that you're not dealing with Coast-to-Coast, and that they didn't get their hands on your car.

And thanks for putting all the links and part numbers in one place: I bookmarked this thread in case I need to get my windshield replaced.

BTW, "Coast-to-Coast" makes one think of hypermiling........
red1dr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Are the clips special order?

If not, I'm wondering if you could buy all of them and then return the ones you don't need for a refund in case some of them don't break.
Varak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.