DIY Cabin Air filter replacement. - Page 9 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #81 (permalink)

You will get longer life out of the cabin air filter if you run the system in the "Air recirculate" mode rather than the outside air mode.

My opinion

Willie.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 343K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #82 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Looking at the filter pictures made me think what a PITA it always is for me to mate the paper pleats of the cabin filter on to the plastic filter frame.

I can't remember reading if anyone had any tricks to this. ???
Silver 2001 Insight 5spd - #0160 *Joined the Stable of a Fellow Insighter*: 275+K miles
(Had some bruises, needed some stuff...but I still loved it.)

Citrus w/ A/C 112K miles

Citrus w/ A/C - #2083
270K miles
FOR SALE http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...tml#post563914
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #83 (permalink)

Replaced my cabin filter today, the green hornet is almost at 90,000 miles! My plastic bar was still there. Normally I'm not that guy that would have cut is at all, but I didn't want to deal with the additional wires connected to the aftermarket passenger airbag switch, so I carefully made one cut instead of just throwing the bar away!
greenhornet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #84 (permalink)

9.82 shipped on Amazon right now through Midway auto supply ($5.87 + $3.95 shipping)

TYC 800045P Honda Replacement Cabin Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive TYC 800045P Honda Replacement Cabin Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive
rvanmanen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #85 (permalink)

Default Foam weather strip

I'd like to add a few things about the way I changed my cabin filter to this excellent thread.

1. Rather than completely remove the metal bar, I removed the 10 mm bolt on the right side and just loosened the 10 mm bolt on the left side. I then rotated the bar CW around the left side bolt until it cleared the filter.

I think the same kid that tightened the 10 mm bolt on the other Insight also worked on my car at one time. (Actually I imagine that the Honda mechanics are using their electric wrenches too enthusiastically.

2. There used to be foam weather seal like material around three sides of my white filter holder. The foam disintegrated as I removed the filter/holder from the A/C. Luckily I had some one side sticky foam weather stripping that I replaced it with. The foam I have is 1/2" wide by 3/8" thick. I think 1/2" x 1/4" on the top and bottom would be better though (and wider might be better too). I was able to get the holder back in with the 3/8" thickness but it took a bit of force to do it.

I didn't try to remove the remains of the original sticky (now hard) material. I just lightly wire brushed the areas enough to remove all the remaining foam. The sticky foam I had stuck to the remains OK.

3. Add a 10" piece of coat hanger to your tool list. Bend a short right angle bend at one end and a circle at the other end to hold onto. Use that to drag all the leaves etc from around the forward evaporator pipe (to the right side of the filter holder guide) so your vacuum cleaner can get them out of there.

4. After cleaning it I reused my filter, considering that I never cleaned/changed the filter in my '88 CRX for 23 years (if it has a filter). But whomever changed my Insight filter before did not install it correctly into the holder. The last filter pleat on each end of the filter is supposed to slip inside the white holder ends and into a slot towards the downwind side of the holder. One of my pleats was on the outside of the holder and the other one was crammed partially into the slot. So check that out.
1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph
http://dmr-architect.com/~locouki/
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmileage Insighter View Post
In order to make the filter change easier, I cut out a section of the metal bar and replaced it with a removable metal bar/piece that I installed with wing nuts and lock washers. This saves taking out the left and right 10 mm bolts underneath that are tough to reinstall.
My son's Insight needs to have the filter changed. Any chance of getting a more detailed description of how you cut the bar? I think this sounds like a great idea.
amalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #87 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Could this be the last plastic bar?

Was working on a friend's '01 Insight with 120K miles, and curiosity got the best of me so pulled out the glove box to see if the cabin filter was the original, and lo and behold it was as the plastic bar was still there:

bar.jpg

Seeing the opportunity to make history, I gladly volunteered to replace it for him even though this probably isn't the last one (if it isn't and you are the one, they are easy to cut either with a hack saw or with tin snips). Regarding the metal bar, take the advice of previous posts and do not remove the far left bolt, just loosen it to swing the bar down. As suspected, it was quite dirty:

filter.jpg

Did have a bit of difficulty sliding the new one into the plastic frame, the first row of fins was a little narrower than the OEM but I got it to work. But what bothers me most (other than the ridiculous design), is that this car was just at the Honda dealer for 100K maintenance, I would expect the cabin filter to be something they look at. But then again, after seeing what some dealers have done to get these filters out I am not surprised.
votsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #88 (permalink)

That looks like it trapped a small mammal in the filter!

2004 Honda Civic Type-R!!! Yay England!
Blue-Civic-Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #89 (permalink)

I just changed my filter (1st time was by the dealer). Thanks, OP, for the pictures they were very helpful. However, I have two issues.
(1) The foam surrounding the plastic filter holder is starting to disintegrate. Can I replace the foam or do I need a new filter holder?
(2) I couldn't get the right 10mm bolt back in place (I didn't completely take off the left one as advised). For some reason I couldn't get the holes to line up so I skipped that and reassembled everything without the one 10mm bolt. Maybe if I take off the entire panel I can get it back on.
Vikroda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 02:17 AM   #90 (permalink)

Looks like I have you all beat 3/29/14 I still have the plastic bar on my insight with 199k on the odometer. I really dont think that I want to even fathom what the hell is clogged in this filter. -_-

2000 Insight Grey MT 199k
Live in or around Santa Rosa and need help with your insight? I'd be glad to help you!
insight707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.