Real MPG (no change in driving habits) - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yep, my CVT gets 45+ without much effort in the city with lots of stops and an incline. Part of my drive to work has a slight uphill that isn't very noticeable visually, but there's an incline nonetheless. Distance to work is a tad under 10 miles. I end with around ~48mpg, though I know I can get higher if it weren't for all the stop lights. Seems lately every light at each intersection at each block isn't synchronized. When light turns green, the next one turns red when I reach it. Grrrrr.

Back home with a slight downhill, I get in excess of 75+ mpg.
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty hippie View Post
Back home with a slight downhill, I get in excess of 75+ mpg.
So you are really averaging 60MPG round trip on a daily basis.....

What goes up.....Must come down....

That is pretty good considering a lot of red lights.....

JoeCVT = Just your averave CVT owner
Low Speed Auto Stop (LSAS)
ABS - IMA regen enabler (allows regen during ABS)
Relocated outside temp sensor near mid engine
Cooling fans powered by 12V Solar Panel

2004 CVT Red Insight
Relocated outside temp sensor near mid engine
joecvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

I drive thoughtfully, but not slowly. I keep my cruising speed just below the de facto speed limit (so, PSL + 8 mostly). However, I keep an eye on traffic signals, and if there's a really good chance the light will be red by the time I get there, I'll coast up to the light with the engine off. In the absence of traffic, I accelerate a little slower than most people, because it's a good opportunity to save lots of fuel by spending a little extra time.

Anyway, it's a blend of techniques that I feel balance the value of my time against my desire to save more gas.

I've also made a number of fuel-saving modifications, e.g. aerodynamic improvements that allow me to use lean burn at higher speeds, and MIMA which allows me to keep up with traffic with less disruption to my fuel ecomony.

My lifetime mpg is 64 and rising. It takes some truly awful weather (or extremely short trips) to drive my mpg below 50.
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

I bought my Insight about a month ago with 213,xxx miles. I drive about 80-160 miles per day and about 80%highway, but am congnisant of city mileage for the 20%. Currently I have about 216,000.
Typically, highway only I can achieve 57 mpg going 65, and that is with winter blizzaks and sub 30 degree weather. During city driving, I can typically drive at normal pace and see only a .6mpg reduction at max. I don't see this as hypermiling, but rather cautious driving.

Last edited by SpeedR; 01-15-2011 at 11:55 AM.
SpeedR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 02:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

50 mpg without trying.
70 mpg + with some effort.

My best 140 mile round-trip on hot summer day: 92 mpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Insight T-Shirts 4Sale: PM Me.
CDN Aquamarine Blue 01 DD
Silver 01 5spd #0160 Sold to fellow Insight owner
Citrus #1159 Sold to Insight Fan
Red '00 A/C project SOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Citrus #2083
Sold to a fellow Insight owner.
Red '01 A/C parts car.
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelz12 View Post
Basically I would drive the car like I drive any car and just hope to get decent mpg.
Driven the same way you drive now ... on the same routes and conditions you drive now ... for about 99% of the U.S. population the Gen-1 Insight will get better MPG than whatever you are getting now compared to just about any production gasoline car you can buy.

To get a general idea of what you might get based on your yearly driving conditions and your current driving style ... a reasonable approximation can be had from looking at what % above or bellow the EPA MPG you currently get on some other vehicle ... make sure it is a yearly average not just a one trip number ... than apply the same % to the Gen-1 Insight's EPA MPG numbers.

Gen-1 Insight vehicle platform uses just about the lowest amount of energy of any production gasoline car you can buy to move from point A to point B... This is a combination of Aerodynamics, and Rolling Resistance.

In terms of drive train the Insight's design is focused on Highway cruising , in that context under the same driving conditions it will return better MPG than just about any other production gasoline car you can buy.

The focus on highway type drive train does make it possible under some other driving styles and conditions for a few other vehicles to potentially equal or slightly exceed the MPG when the driver is not skilled enough to fully exploit the vehicle platform benefits ... one example would be a Prius in heavy stop and go traffic... for the OEM Gen-1 Insight to surpass the OEM Prius vehicle platform in heavy stop and go traffic can require some driver skill and effort from the Gen-1 Insight driver.

All that having been said ... without knowing the context / conditions it will be driven in... here is what I would say to expect as a few overly general ranges for yearly average MPG.
  • Upper 40's = bellow average driver ( D grade ) + zero driver effort + Driving route with frequent stop and go city traffic
  • Mid 50's = average driver ( C grade ) + Zero driver effort + Driving route with Average U.S. City / Highway mix.
  • Mid 60's = Slightly above average driver ( C+ Grade ) + minimal occasional Effort + Driving Route with U.S. Average City / Highway mix.
  • Mid 70's = Above average driver ( B Grade ) + Regular casual effort + Driving Route with more open road and less stop and go traffic than U.S. average.
  • Upper 80's = Top Driver ( A+ Grade ) , Constant meticulous effort + driving route almost exclusively no stop and go traffic , and open road.
  • oo-MT-I1: MIMA(#024) +FAS +DabrowskiGridCharger +OBDIC&C +HighwaterDashResetButtons +ACCompressorBypass

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :~2,000 MPGe ... Folding +ChainlessShaftDrive (Dynamic SideKick8 ) +8 spd rear planetary in-hub(Shimano Nexus)+CycleAnalyst Meter +350 Calorie LiFePO4 Battery +600W front hub motor SmartPie4
  • On-Going Projects:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IamIan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan View Post
Driven the same way you drive now ... on the same routes and conditions you drive now ... for about 99% of the U.S. population the Gen-1 Insight will get better MPG than whatever you are getting now compared to just about any production gasoline car you can buy.

To get a general idea of what you might get based on your yearly driving conditions and your current driving style ... a reasonable approximation can be had from looking at what % above or bellow the EPA MPG you currently get on some other vehicle ... make sure it is a yearly average not just a one trip number ... than apply the same % to the Gen-1 Insight's EPA MPG numbers.

Gen-1 Insight vehicle platform uses just about the lowest amount of energy of any production gasoline car you can buy to move from point A to point B... This is a combination of Aerodynamics, and Rolling Resistance.

In terms of drive train the Insight's design is focused on Highway cruising , in that context under the same driving conditions it will return better MPG than just about any other production gasoline car you can buy.

The focus on highway type drive train does make it possible under some other driving styles and conditions for a few other vehicles to potentially equal or slightly exceed the MPG when the driver is not skilled enough to fully exploit the vehicle platform benefits ... one example would be a Prius in heavy stop and go traffic... for the OEM Gen-1 Insight to surpass the OEM Prius vehicle platform in heavy stop and go traffic can require some driver skill and effort from the Gen-1 Insight driver.

All that having been said ... without knowing the context / conditions it will be driven in... here is what I would say to expect as a few overly general ranges for yearly average MPG.
  • Upper 40's = bellow average driver ( D grade ) + zero driver effort + Driving route with frequent stop and go city traffic
  • Mid 50's = average driver ( C grade ) + Zero driver effort + Driving route with Average U.S. City / Highway mix.
  • Mid 60's = Slightly above average driver ( C+ Grade ) + minimal occasional Effort + Driving Route with U.S. Average City / Highway mix.
  • Mid 70's = Above average driver ( B Grade ) + Regular casual effort + Driving Route with more open road and less stop and go traffic than U.S. average.
  • Upper 80's = Top Driver ( A+ Grade ) , Constant meticulous effort + driving route almost exclusively no stop and go traffic , and open road.
Thanks, this is all very helpful and very exciting because unfortunately other than having cold weather and hills, my commute is about as bad as you could get for mpg. short distance usually 5 miles, and a lot of stop and go. So this is good news to hear.
kelz12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan View Post
Nice listing, especially because it stresses that where and how you drive can have a big effect (as they do with any car, not just hybrids). Have just a few comments:
- It applies to the MT, but for the CVT my impression is that the results don't spread as widely either way. Based on my sister's results with her CVT and on what I read here, it seems that most CVT drivers cluster in the 50-65mpg range, whereas the MT mpg can be better or worse than the CVT's depending on where and how it's driven.
- For me and I suspect others who try to get good mpg, "constant meticulous effort" isn't accurate. More like "relaxed attention to driving", but certainly far far less stressful and less tiring than "normal" or "real" driving, or whatever people want to call speeding, etc. I used to drive "normal" and "real" so I have a good comparison. Now driving for mpg is just how I drive, so it requires very little effort and is actually very relaxing.
- Makes me laugh when hypermiling is portrayed as "extreme" or dangerous (not in your post Ian, but elsewhere). Driving at or below the PSL is dangerous?? It's risky to time red lights rather than charging up to them and accelerating hard on the green? And coasting in neutral (engine on or off) is somehow a death sentence? If so, we'd better junk all Priuses, MT Insight-I's, and Hyundai Hybrids (all of which switch off their gas engines under various conditions) because they're deathtraps!!
"Normal" driving is of course much safer because we see lots of people doing it and they're not dead. Speeding/ignoring speed limits, tailgating, jabbering on the cell (handheld or headset), texting while driving, peering at the Nav (usually while simultaneously talking on the cell) are all "normal" on our roadways. Ironic, isn't it, that these are considered acceptable risks and therefore OK??

Last edited by red1dr; 01-15-2011 at 02:54 PM.
red1dr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Mid 70's = Above average driver ( B Grade ) + Regular casual effort + Driving Route with more open road and less stop and go traffic than U.S. average.

Really? For mid-70's and traveling in a majority highway situation, mid 70's is only possible with temperatures exceeding 60 degrees F in my experience. This includes hypermiling everything before and after the highway both ways. With a driver behind me on one lane roads, for my to go a speed that doesn't leave him within an unsafe following distance, that trip will creep into the 60's fairly quickly to maintain speed on grades.

Currently, using snow tires and having temperatures hanging between slightly under 0 degrees F and dealing with a few snow trudge trips(one of which resulted in MPG in the 30's due to tremendous load of trying to crawl through 4-6 inches of dense wet snow) I'm struggling for mid 50's with a tremendous amount of effort to hold MPG(lean-burn) on a 55mph highway without losing speed. Not to mention my clutch switch failed and its too cold to fix it so with a stock system the car will charge itself to full 20 bars and there is no regen and you need 3rd gear to climb the lightest hills to avoid using assist as it will background charge right away in the single digits until the battery gets warm(which it doesn't) or until its full and refuses to regen.

If I let go of my high MPG attempts and drove with snow tires in single digit weather and didn't painstakingly try to hold lean-burn in 4th gear(mostly impossible in 5th in this weather with E10 gas we have here) I'd be at about 50 MPG, probably less if the tires were at the Honda recommended PSI.

Maybe it is the 100% gas that some people get for a decent relative going rate in their area but highway cruising can be had at 70MPG or higher only if you are willing to go 45-50MPH or 60-75MPH in 5th gear(2000RPM deadzone) or 50-60MPH in 4th gear(above the deadzone).

My opinion for no change in driving habits: If you have a decent commute with some city and the rest highway, 55MPG. Travel 75MPH on the interstate with no large attempts at holding lean-burn and ignoring assist all the time 55MPG. The previous owner of my car and his trips between two metropolitan areas which I think are 50-60 miles apart was about 55MPG. Winter driving without hypermiling high 40's, maybe 50's without snow. If you are driving in the city, probably somewhere in the 50's I suppose. Short trips could pull this down to high 40's, especially if you are especially aggressive and the temperatures involve wearing a coat of any kind when outside.

My worst: Driving a full tank of gas in 4th gear with my foot to the floor at high altitude where there is less air density and therefore less engine power on the interstate with a very heavy vehicle load both in weight and aerodynamics and climbing moutains in 3rd gear resulted in 30.7 miles per gallon. Crossing the country with somewhere to be without going a speed that will get me pulled over without hypermiling, 30.7MPG. It is possible to get worse gas mileage in certain extreme circumstances than a 1995 Prizm, I did it and on the way there I was convinced I would never take the Insight up mountains again. On the way back my tanks were in the mid 50's, heavy load and aero issues were removed and at the same speed and I'm getting almost twice the distance off the same gas and I managed 73MPG on the final tank of the return trip, driving style and vehicle aero-load is huge. Outside of idling a ton, or driving in a city in very cold temps or very short trips when it is very cold out, I think it would be a challenge to get this car into the 20's. Not saying it isn't possible but it might take mounting a sail against the wind to do it. ...don't attach a bike to the back of this car before an interstate roadtrip, I know from experience that your car will thank you for it.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

I would say 55mpg . I usually drive very consciously and get on average 61 mpg. Once I got in the 90s , and was able many times to get 80-87 mpg with slow driving and etc.

but when I forget what car I am driving and do not look at the meters I get ~55mpg. Once I drove a 2000 round trip with 5-10 mph above the limit and got ~50mpg for the whole trip. that included 3rd gear accelerations in mountainous areas and speeds of 78-80 mph crossing Indiana.
2000 mt silver, 329k presently , 55.0 lt mpg (reset at 201k) mima #127 . was 51.7 lt mpg

Last edited by Jivko57; 01-15-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Jivko57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question