Real MPG (no change in driving habits) - Page 3 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1dr View Post
- It applies to the MT, but for the CVT my impression is that the results don't spread as widely either way.
Yes, I was basing it on my own experience with the MT ... I have noticed that CVT owners tend to stay more in the middle as well... lower highs ... and higher lows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1dr View Post
- Makes me laugh when hypermiling is portrayed as "extreme" or dangerous
While there are some driving methods that are less safe ... some of which I have known some Hypermilers to toy with ... and some regular drivers toy with ... in general , I suspect hypermilers are safer drivers than the average driver ... most hypermiler driver's are far more aware and alert to the conditions they are driving in , what traffic is doing ahead of them , and what their vehicle is doing , than other non-hypermiler drivers.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Driver View Post
Really?
Yes... just remember my disclaimer above it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian
without knowing the context / conditions it will be driven in... here is what I would say to expect as a few overly general ranges for yearly average MPG.
It was not meant to be any kind of absolute statement ... or to apply to every possible context ... for all weather conditions or any non-OEM modification ( snow tires ) ... or isolated individual trips, tanks of gas, seasons , etc.

I am sorry if my disclaimer was not sufficiently clear.

But as they say YMMV ... the devil is in the details of a specific context.
  • oo-MT-I1: MIMA(#024) +FAS +DabrowskiGridCharger +OBDIC&C +HighwaterDashResetButtons +ACCompressorBypass

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :~2,000 MPGe ... Folding +ChainlessShaftDrive (Dynamic SideKick8 ) +8 spd rear planetary in-hub(Shimano Nexus)+CycleAnalyst Meter +350 Calorie LiFePO4 Battery +600W front hub motor SmartPie4
  • On-Going Projects:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IamIan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #22 (permalink)

Life average is 54.5 mpg (now at 72k miles). I bought it (2001 I-1 m) 2/10. My average mpg right now is 61.3 mpg after about 7k miles.
tomg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #23 (permalink)

I've had my insight for around 15,000 miles now. Real city driving in warm weather is 51 to 60 for me, discount one or two mpg for AC.

When it's cold the way it is today in the Northeast (-35 F), I'm lucky to get 35mpg.

I, too, thought I was just going to drive normal with my insight but the fact it tells you how many mpg you are getting makes a very addicting game out of it.
danpittenger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #24 (permalink)

I live in Arizona, so I use the AC constantly about 6 months out of the year.

When I bought the car, it had 97K miles and a lifetime MPG of 56.4.

I've driven it an additional 87K miles and have raised that to 56.8 (my personal lifetime MPG is 57.1)

During the Summer, in stop-and-go city driving (worst possible for MPG), the lowest I ever got was 45MPG (typically 50 +-5MPG).

During the Winter, with no AC I get 60 +-5MPG.

This is for 'normal' driving with limited efforts to increase MPG mainly due to driving in heavy traffic most of the time.

One odd thing about this car (for MTs only, not CVTs) is that you can get some of your best MPG readings on city streets and not on the freeway due to the effects of wind resistance at high speed.

Most people simply assume that you will always get better mileage on the freeway, but that is not always the case. Our cars get their best mileage in 5th gear in lean burn at ~45MPH, something that you probably won't be able to do on most freeways.

If I'm driving a constant 50MPH on a 4-lane city street, I will get 100+MPG.

If I'm on the freeway, driving a constant 60MPH, it will drop to 80-90.

If I bump the speed up to 70+, the MPG drops down to 60-70 (and lower as you speed up) as it is nearly impossible to maintain lean burn due to wind resistance.

Last edited by Varak; 01-24-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Varak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varak View Post

If I bump the speed up to 70+, the MPG drops down to 60-70 (and lower as you speed up) as it is nearly impossible to maintain lean burn due to wind resistance.
Varak,

If you draft off a large truck (get into their slip-stream) your mpg will increase beyond 60 mpg at 70+ mph!

Is this a "hypermiling technique" contrary to OP question/criteria?.

This method in bicycle racing and even club rides. that's free assistance until your turn to pull (your turn in front of pace line). Everyone has to know how to use this riding tech in the pace line or accidents can happen.

I feel apprehensive sometimes slipping into a truck's slipstream, this is not done frequently!

tomg

Last edited by tomg; 01-24-2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: fogot to removeerror
tomg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 01:51 AM   #26 (permalink)

Last week, with commuting that's 60 percent highway and the rest a blend of local-ish and "country" roads, I got 53.3 miles per gallon on a tank. (This was one or two mpg lower than the car's computer display for that tank's mileage.)

I tend to enjoy accelerating through the gears...
BenLikesFirstGenInsights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelz12 View Post
I was looking into getting a first gen insight, however my reasoning for getting it will not be too see if I can get record mileage but just to buy a car that is fuel efficient. All of the threads I look at talk about their 70+mpg while driving 55mph with no AC etc. But for other insight drivers, what is a realistic mpg figure with driving mostly city, accelerating with traffic, traveling 5mph over or so (just flow with traffic) with the ac on pretty consistently etc?

Basically I would drive the car like I drive any car and just hope to get decent mpg. Highway driving would be mostly with CC engaged between 75-80mph and like I said with AC. I live in Miami, and I have done the no AC thing before for awhile, but its just not something I want to deal with just to save a little bit of money because unfortunately I am a sweater. So to reiterate, I would drive mostly city driving shorter distances, I live in miami so AC would be used 9+ months out of the year, I will accelerate and maintain speed with traffic (no hypermilling or anything of that sort), And when I do go on the highway I would have the cruise somewhere between 75-80mph.

Just wanted to see realistic mileage from owners that don't do anything differently then what they would do in any other car.

So Show me what you got!

Thanks guys!
No one ever accused me of hypermiling, or trying to get maximum mileage. I drive just like my other vehicles: get the job done in reasonable time.
My mileage runs 48 to 54 mpg, depending on weather and in town or on interstate. overall mileage is 51.4 mpg the past 10,000 miles. Even my Civic hybrid only gets 41 mpg. Nothing else comes close.
PS no, I don't have a Prius; only Civics have a ton of aftermarket parts and I like to track mine. Prius drive like my fathers 84 oldsmobile.
cheers.
mahout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahout View Post
Even my Civic hybrid only gets 41 mpg. Nothing else comes close.
PS no, I don't have a Prius; only Civics have a ton of aftermarket parts and I like to track mine. Prius drive like my fathers 84 oldsmobile.
cheers.
my wife and I test-drove a Civic Hybrid on Saturday. I thought it handled quite nicely! I even ducked into a vacated corporate office parking lot and did some ad hoc autocross to my immense satisfaction, albeit not to my wife's amusement.

we're considering at some point (given maybe a year to accrue savings) a new Insight or Civic Hybrid for her. She wants cruise control, so the Insight with cruise control (EX) is not that much cheaper than the Civic Hybrid. They didn't have an Insight demonstrator available, so we couldn't compare.

Your point about the Civic aftermarket is something I will (very discreetly) keep in mind .
BenLikesFirstGenInsights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #29 (permalink)

I don't think it's even *possible* to get under 40mpg on the highway in an Insight unless you've really screwed up your maintenance. On my drive back through Missouri, running on 15% ethanol, hilly terrain, cold weather, etc, I tried shutting off the hybrid system and running with the engine pegged (aka, as fast as it could burn gas) uphill. It was reporting about 40mpg.
KarenRei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #30 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRei View Post
I don't think it's even *possible* to get under 40mpg on the highway in an Insight unless you've really screwed up your maintenance. On my drive back through Missouri, running on 15% ethanol, hilly terrain, cold weather, etc, I tried shutting off the hybrid system and running with the engine pegged (aka, as fast as it could burn gas) uphill. It was reporting about 40mpg.
Yes it is.
230.8 miles 30.7FCD 7.202 gallons

How? Overloading the car beyond its gross vehicle weight rating and strapping an aerodynamic disaster to the back of an otherwise very aerodynamic car in such a way that maintaining interstate speed in 4th gear with the foot to the floor just didn't happen.

Not a maintenance issue and it really wasn't so much the weight because on the way back I had more room in the car and was able to break down the aerodynamic disaster into two pieces and fit it in the back of the car. On the way back I managed to drive with this mileage with a few hundred pounds less and at a speed of 70-75mph.
630.5 miles 70.2FCD 8.592 gallons 630.5/8.592=73.4

The trip there was 40MPG at speeds that wouldn't get me pulled over.

...or the whole trip home
1865.9/29.523=63.2MPG

In reality, without trying to manage lean-burn and just letting the Rostra aftermarket cruise do its thing, I got 55mpg during that trip. So I can go more than 1/4 extra per tank if I use some diligence over my 'real MPG'.

After a few months of summer when I take the winter shoes off my car and recover from almost 2000 miles of terrible gas mileage I'll be back above 60 lifetime mpg.

Another time that I got under 40mpg on the highway was when we had a snowstorm and the snow was deep and heavy enough to where I basically held my foot to the floor in 5th gear and didn't hit the speed limit and the snow tires weren't losing traction, I was dragging the bottom of the car with the taller edges of the ruts put in place by the cars who had already driven in front of me. 6" of ground clearance too, snow was pretty bad that week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question