New noise - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New noise

I have a 2006 CVT which now has 251,000 miles and it has developed a new noise. (drive train). when pulling away there is a noise not unlike a hydraulic pump sound a "whirring" type sound, it increases in frequency with vehicle speed. It either is not present at higher speeds or is lost in the other road noises. The is no change in operation, shifting and is normal. I noticed that in neutral or park it is absent also in reverse it is absent. when shifted into drive or low is is just noticeable as a very low growl which increases with engine speed with the brakes held. The current fluid has about 10K miles on it (Honda CVT fluid). I plan on draining it to take a look at the chip detector on the weekend. any thoughts?
Hitech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, I did a little trouble shooting today and essentially no fault found. I drained the transmission fluid and inspected the chip detector the fluid looked like new (10K on it) and the chip detector was clean with barely the slightest stain like deposits. I guess the car has added a new noise to its personality
Old 03-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had a bird sound for a year. Only heard it while accelerating and would lose the sound when in neutral or stopped idling. My local mechanic found it was a broken clip on the fire all. I am going to J B Weld the pieces together..
339,000miles hot coolant -cracked head, replace radiator cap_ NAPA sent to Canada- works great!
use OEM tires,.0w20 Mobile One,civic oil filter,and 87 octane
What a love affair
387,600 miles --time to retire!!!!!
NorthwestIL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply, but my noise is coming from the transmission and is Engine RPM dependent when in gear.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

The sound you are describing reminds me of a hydraulic pump. I've heard cars with low power steering fluid make that kind of whine when the steering wheel was turned. I know pretty much nothing about Insight CVT's but, could it be the transmission pump showing signs of wear or, hopefully not, an impending failure?
Calpod switch
Warm air mod
Grill block
EPS fuse removed
FAS/fuel injector interrupt circuit
grid charger
OBDII C&C gauge
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

I agree on the type of sound I am describing. All I can do is turn the radio up and hope for the best
Old 08-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default It's getting worse

Well the noise has gotten progressively more intense and I am seeing a bit more "fuzz" on the magnet. I did pull the pan about a month ago and cleaned the internal magnets (there are 4 of them) all had typical black "staining" type of fuzz. At that time, I replaced the internal filter as well. Since the nose started I have put on about 30,000 miles (Total miles 275,000). I am on the hunt for a replacement unit as I think it is not long for this world. I sure wish there was some repair capability in the US but so far nothing. When and I change it out I will tear it down and figure out what the issue was. I will post about it when that happens.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

From your description, the "pully belt" is starting to wear excessively.

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 346K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well, the noise is gone, I replaced the transmission. It took about 6 hr and was very straight fwd. I was able to improvise all the special tooling. It's dead quiet now. I will tear the original down and figure out what the issue was.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well I finally got around to tearing my transmission down to find out what was wrong. on first look I could find nothing amiss, all the bearings that I could see looked good and felt good............... except the ball bearing under the reverse clutch on the driving end of the main shaft. I didn't have a socket large enough to remove that shaft and view the bearing but is feels rough and on careful examination of the phonic wheel and the clutch bell on the driving side reviles witness marks where the phonic wheel teeth are hitting the clutch bell I didn't take any pictures yet because it does not show up on my phone camera I will need to use my Macro camera. I think this accounts for the noise I had been hearing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cvt_transmission .jpg (96.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Hitech; 12-26-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.