Removing/Replacing Front Wheel Bearings - 2000 MT - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Removing/Replacing Front Wheel Bearings - 2000 MT

Anyone here know the procedure (a to z) on how to change a front wheel bearing assembly? Is it easy, difficult?
leekujawa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

You have to unbolt a bit of the suspension to pull the driveshaft which is a bit of a PITA, and it has a large nut on the hub end which can be tight. Not a job for a beginner IMHO.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I set out to do that when I replaced the suspension and brakes, but was deterred by the apparent need of a hydraulic press. I passed, but it's still on my checklist. Is it possible to do without a press?

02 Insight posted the FSM on here, be sure to have that on hand since it actually walks you through the Honda-recommended procedures for repairs, including front bearings: Download 2000-2006 Insight Service Manual PDF and Others

If I had my paper copy in front of me I'd tell you the page nubmber, but someone else will have to chime in...
"Donnie" - Red 2000 M/T w/AC #2217, 289,000 miles, 62.2 LMPG, best tank: 84 mpg
Mods: Soundproofing, 5g Civic hatch armrest, JDM Alarm, upgraded stereo with hands-free + USB, LED lighting, rear wiper delete, XM Radio, 3M Crystalline 70%
lach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post
I set out to do that when I replaced the suspension and brakes, but was deterred by the apparent need of a hydraulic press. I passed, but it's still on my checklist. Is it possible to do without a press?
No. I've replaced several Honda wheel bearings. It is not possible to do without a press and several special tools (arbor plates, bearing pullers, and multiple special tools from Honda that I don't know the names to)
Current score: Bought/Selling/Sold/Dismantled nine silvers, two blues, and a Citrus beauty to keep for myself.
jeff652 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm thinking buy the bearings, pull the hub assemblies out of the car and take to a machine shop where they can pull out and then press in the new bearings. Will still be cheaper then taking it somewhere for the full replacement job.

I'm at 280K, I wonder how long these bearings will last?
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertguy View Post
I'm thinking buy the bearings, pull the hub assemblies out of the car and take to a machine shop where they can pull out and then press in the new bearings. Will still be cheaper then taking it somewhere for the full replacement job.

I'm at 280K, I wonder how long these bearings will last?
Please post pictures
Old 10-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well right now I think they are okay, that is why I'm wondering how long they last? I've read several folks on forum post that they had to get one replaced. I'm guessing it is very conditional upon your driving conditions in terms of how soon it will fail.
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

Yeah it's just an 'if they fail' type thing. The way to test is jack up the car and grab the top and bottom of the wheel. Then try rocking the wheel in and out. Any free play points to bad wheel bearing. Don't grab it on the sides there is some normal play on the steering rack that will give you a false failure indication.
Current score: Bought/Selling/Sold/Dismantled nine silvers, two blues, and a Citrus beauty to keep for myself.
jeff652 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.