Oh dear, what I have done? - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

+1 on renting a car. I do that from time to time as well as drive a tank with Econ off, sport as well as manual mode,

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Before your right side of the brain takes over and you make an impulsive decision to buy a new car, you need to stop and think. What will this car cost me in terms of $ per mile. Figure what the car will cost you, how long you will keep it, what it will be worth when you sell it, how many miles you plan on putting on it, what kind of fuel economy you will be getting, and of course the cost of fuel, and service. I'm the second owner of my 1st gen insight, and even with zero trade in value, I'm at about 9 cents a mile, and it will continue to go down the longer I own it. (grant you I am not countng insurance) There is nothing out there that can compare. If you look at Road and Track's long term tests, there are many vehicles that cost up to a dollar a mile to drive. (There are many cars out there that depreciate $10 a day or more). Just keep a used sport bike in the garage when you need that rush
head-met is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 01:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
"fast and aggressive" and still get 50+ mpg. Love it.

Willie
Hope to get there at some point. Then I'll have more patience for things like the awful, harsh bouncy ride and the rattles.
Launched: 8 Aug 2002
Acquired: 19 Dec 2011
Commissioned: 22 Dec 2011
Decommissioned: 15 May 2014
Struck: 24 July 2014
Fate: Parts car for 2000 Insight
RedJellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default Thanks everyone

Yeah, I still have the V and just yesterday inspected a blue '02 insight. I still feel like an ass for dropping my insight. I dunno who was in the dealership that morning I got the V but it certainly didn't feel like me

The exploits of the blue insight I have posted here: Opinions please: '02 blue CVT 70k miles

I really want manual insight but I think that ship has sailed. This was the closet insight I could find that was in the best shape. I'm willing to live with the CVT if things work out.

Ug. I'm never doing something like this again; I'm old enough to know better. I'm not a sporty person and I value practicality and economy over anything else, generally. I dunno what I was thinking. Besides, I really like the insight and am disappointed that nothing has come to market that even comes near it.
megaoptimus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 11:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

kitkit201- my wife has a Fit. She gets a little over 40mpg, and near 45mpg with really good weather. I get near 50mpg when i drive sometimes. Its no Insight, but with seating for 5 and pretty good storage, sporty ride, not to mention the msrp.......not a bad compromise at all!

TPS mod; Scanguage; K&N air filter; Window Tint; Engine block heater; 100% gas (recently)

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/22304.png
jkbrushaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrushaber View Post
kitkit201- my wife has a Fit. She gets a little over 40mpg, and near 45mpg with really good weather. I get near 50mpg when i drive sometimes. Its no Insight, but with seating for 5 and pretty good storage, sporty ride, not to mention the msrp.......not a bad compromise at all!
Thanks jkbrushaber. I'm seriously considering the fit as my next car.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Old 11-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaoptimus View Post
Yeah, I still have the V and just yesterday inspected a blue '02 insight. I still feel like an ass for dropping my insight. I dunno who was in the dealership that morning I got the V but it certainly didn't feel like me

The exploits of the blue insight I have posted here: Opinions please: '02 blue CVT 70k miles

I really want manual insight but I think that ship has sailed. This was the closet insight I could find that was in the best shape. I'm willing to live with the CVT if things work out.

Ug. I'm never doing something like this again; I'm old enough to know better. I'm not a sporty person and I value practicality and economy over anything else, generally. I dunno what I was thinking. Besides, I really like the insight and am disappointed that nothing has come to market that even comes near it.
here is something to consider, in the long run the overall ownership cost of the veloster considering only fuel price and maintenance/repairs will be about the same as the insight's - the insight's fuel savings are offset by its expensive batteries and repairs that come along with age.
Launched: 8 Aug 2002
Acquired: 19 Dec 2011
Commissioned: 22 Dec 2011
Decommissioned: 15 May 2014
Struck: 24 July 2014
Fate: Parts car for 2000 Insight
RedJellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #18 (permalink)

Mega, look at it this way: (a) you scratched an itch to get a new car, (b) you still picked a very fuel-efficient model (I mean, it's not like you went from an Insight to a Dodge Ram or something!), (c) there's no sense in comparing the new one to the Insight in terms of economy since everything else will always lose and (d) if the new one really doesn't suit you in a few more months and you can't stand it, dump it and come back to the Insight.
Also, FWIW, coming here to discuss it is like going to your ex-wife to discuss your new bride... You're just not going to get an objective response.

Don in Woodbridge
don.davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #19 (permalink)

I really like that analogy, by the way. I think I'll write it down.
don.davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #20 (permalink)

Thanks for the support. I think I'm being too hard on myself about the whole thing. I could keep the V for awhile longer but I know myself enough to feel certain I'll just be in this boat again in a few months come spring. I know I'm not going to be driving the V long term, I need something I can at least drive like my old insight so i have more control over the mpg gains. The crz is the only fit for that criteria even though it's mileag isn't rated any better than the V. I perceive the crz as a compromise between the V and my much missed insight. I don't see any reason why I couldn't get a consistent 45-48 tank average out of it; I can't get more than 38 from the V.

Im thinking of buying Chris's citrus insight and selling the V privately on autotrader.com. Though I'll have two small car payments for as long as it takes to sell the V. Once sold, I'll have no payments and a few grand in my pocket. At least I'd get more than the laughably low trade in offers I've been hearing.

I could trade it on a slightly used crz (for about 14200) and settle on that for the long term. However, that is only viable if a dealer agrees to give me no less than 17k for the V. Not likely to happen though it would be interesting to install one of those phev engineer kits I keep hearing about.

In any event, I learned a great deal from this whole drama and that is all well and good. Now I just want it resolved so I'm gonna have to suck it up and prepare to do the best I can with the circumstances.
megaoptimus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.