Oh dear, what I have done? - Page 3 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cf-105 View Post
Hyundai has gotten quite the reputation for "working" the EPA fuel economy tests well, while their cars never live up to their test results in the real world.

If you love your Veloster, that is one thing. But their certainly was no economy in the purchase you made.
CF-105 made a great point, in a nutshell: Hyundai is a good quality make. They never hit the numbers on the EPA sticker. I'd buy one over a midsize Chevy or Ford but I drive too many miles per year to tolerate the poor (mediocre at best) comparative gas mileage. Be forewarned and check the online reviews before you switch makes and models.
BrianZ54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #22 (permalink)

Don't settle for a cvt; you will miss lean burn too much.
kaypee171 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #23 (permalink)

I recently traded in my trusty 2001 CVT for a Prius C. The honda was showing signs that caused suspicion that a new battery was in my future. To that, I was ready for a new set of tires bringing my upcoming repair and maintenance costs to near $3500.

While the Prius C has some advantages (ride quality, noise), I don't get quite as good as mileage (close, though). Once the new-car smell has worn off, I continue to wonder whether I made a good decision. Certainly, the Prius C fails to match the insight in terms of coolness factor.

I certainly miss my insight and might do it differently if given a second chance.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #24 (permalink)

Yeah, I'm in the same Prius c boat now. I haven't pulled the trigger but I'm close. If I'm willing to do that I might as well get the 2006 cvt insight not far from my house. However, having owned a manual insight, I think if I were to try to find another I'd be better off getting a manual.

Chris has a nice citrus insight I may take, but I gotta do something with is damn veloster first. Not to mention the bank sort of frowns upon financing a 11k vehicle when nadaguides says its 5200ish. They just don't understand

One guy in the Prius chat forum summed it up nicely: once you've owned an insight, especially the manual, no car is ever good enough nor can it even come close to touching the magic of an insight.

Btw, what kind of mileage are you getting on your Prius C? You doing anything to hypermile the car or just driving as you did before?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App
megaoptimus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Btw, what kind of mileage are you getting on your Prius C? You doing anything to hypermile the car or just driving as you did before?
Like with my insight, I simply stay at speed limits and minimize braking. I also accelerate smartly...not too fast...not too slow...just right.

I find that, in optimum conditions for each, the insight is a more efficient car. The best milage on the insight is better than the best mileage on the prius. The insight is, simply, an inherently more efiicient car: lighter and more aerodynamic.

I have noticed a few ways that the prius might be a bit better from a mileage perspective. First, it appears that the designers took greater pains to ensure that the engine warmed up quicker. Second, I find the hybrid capability to be much more beneficial in city driving. On the prius, once warmed up, one does not have to work very hard to get better city MPG than highway. This was not true with my insight.

I suspect that, in the end, my lifetime MPG will be better on my insight than with the prius, but within a few percentage points.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #26 (permalink)

You don't think you'll ultimately regret the Prius c do you? Love for the g1 insight aside. Like we said, no car is ever going to be good enough after the insight but that does not mean the Prius c sucks. I'm asking, not telling, since you have more drive time in the Prius than I.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App
megaoptimus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
You don't think you'll ultimately regret the Prius c do you?
absolutely not!! While I may (or may not) regret selling the insight, and believe that the insight has SOME benefits over the Prius C, I also find the reverse to be true. The Prius rides nicer, handles better, is more quiet, can carry more stuff, and carry more people. My wife feels safer in it and is willing to drive it when necessary.

I remain confident that, of the cars currently available, that the Prius is the best replacement for the G1 insight for my purposes. If only volkswagen would bring in a diesel 'Up'.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #28 (permalink)

What kind of mpg's are you getting in the c?

And what did you used to get in the Insight?
Eric@EVPowers.com
608-729-4082
http://www.EVPowers.com
Mobile service also available
ericbecky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #29 (permalink)

The other day I heard that Kia/Hyundai was being forced to payback money to owners of vehicles purchased over a certain set of years. (2007-12? can remember). They were found to have inflated their MPG estimates and owe the extra fuel costs to purchasers. Like I said, I don't know any details, just heard a quick news update on the radio. I am curious as to the actual protocol used to determine mpg numbers. I assumed the EPA did them so they were unbiased, fair, accurate, identically tested, and reproducible. Guess Im wrong.

TPS mod; Scanguage; K&N air filter; Window Tint; Engine block heater; 100% gas (recently)

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/22304.png
jkbrushaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #30 (permalink)

I cant speak for the C, but I drove a prius 3 for 2 weeks or 2 thousand miles. WIth no mods driving it like a rental car netted me 50mpg, careful-er driving I managed 65mpg. With the fact it has a more progressive way to use regen braking before the pads kick in and the fact under ver lite acceleration you can nurse it in "EV" mode I am sure you can come close to what the older insight did. Of course its a steel vehicle with a lot of weight and seting for 5 too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.