Oh dear, what I have done? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Oh dear, what I have done?

Sooo, after much test driving I sold my 2003 insight and got a 2013 Veloster base M/CVT. I sorely miss my little insight I really like the V (and the cr-z) but I could have easily driven my insight for another 4-5 years at least. Sigh. With the insight I really didn't have to try to get 60+ easy on a regular basis. On the V (granted it's new) I've got to really try to keep it within the 40-50mpg range while I'm driving. So far, average is 38.4 combined. I'm pretty sure I could have squeezed more out of a cr-z. Ah well.

Now my goofy brain is pondering a manual cr-z, used of course. Me thinks I should stop now and move on. Curse that 2012 civic loaner that got me shopping around for some new hotness after almost 10 years of insight practicality.

If you're a practical person who REALLY enjoys the 2000-2006 insight and you're not sure you want to sell it: Don't. Ride that train until it breaks or until the kids come along and you've got to get a bigger vehicle.

On the up side; damn I hadn't realized how loud the road noise is on the old insights compared to the newer vehicles
megaoptimus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

You just need to look at the economics of it. If the insight is paid for, that should tell you right there. Since I own my sidekick and it gets 30 mpg, I drive 40 miles a day, I see I could save money selling my insight and avoiding the monthly payment. Now if I have to drive further that would change things.

I drove a crz stick and cvt, I didnt like either. Not enough sport or economy.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yup, my insight was paid for several years ago. It's been a long time since I've had a car payment. It bothers me more than I anticipated having a payment now. I made out really well but having no payment then going to a payment...ug.
megaoptimus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hyundai has gotten quite the reputation for "working" the EPA fuel economy tests well, while their cars never live up to their test results in the real world.

If you love your Veloster, that is one thing. But their certainly was no economy in the purchase you made.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 10-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I have modded my car so much it would be impractical for me to ever sell it. It isn't like it could be easily serviced by anyone other than me. Luckily I decided not long after I bought it to never sell it

Sorry to hear you are having remorse about the buy and or sell. That car does a CRX look to it.

2000 DIY Garrett GT12 Turboed Silver Insight, #5550
Pioneer P3900MP CD/MP3 4 X Polk Audio 6.5", Stealth Box
Mima #47, BCM Gauge, Ford Hybrid Escaped™ custom 150v 11AH battery pack w. 20% current mod, Matiz rear springs & Monroe shocks, 25mm rear wheel spacers & Blasphemer™ spat cutout, single cone tranny mod
uhtrinity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

I plan on owning at least one Insight for the rest of my life, regardless of if something better comes out. Which I sincerely hope it does.. 12 years and counting now. Come on folks....

Wonder how many miles the 460,000 mile Insight could have in another 50 years. I'd be 80.

Home of the MAXIMA™ performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786
eli@bumblebeebatteries.com
Bumblebee Batteries, LLC

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

World record on a car is almost 3 million miles. If a Volvo P1800 can do it, why not an Insight?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 10-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Since my car is worth so little and gets great gas mileage, it doesn't make sense to get rid of it. I can get another daily driver but it's worth keeping the insight around. It is, after all, the most fuel efficient car ever sold in the US.. ever

What I don't like about it is the fact that it is a real penalty box, but that's because of the condition of my car
Launched: 8 Aug 2002
Acquired: 19 Dec 2011
Commissioned: 22 Dec 2011
Decommissioned: 15 May 2014
Struck: 24 July 2014
Fate: Parts car for 2000 Insight

Last edited by RedJellyBean; 10-23-2012 at 05:35 PM.
RedJellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

There is a creepy side of me all the time when I want a different car other than the insight. I had this insight for a combined 7 months now (2 months on my first run and 5 months and counting now).

I have been seriously considering selling her for a Honda fit. I know economy wise it makes no sense. I still get 65mpgs without trying too hard and love what it already is.

My wife and I have plans to have kids in the near future and a 2 seater is not scalable but with new cars on the horizon all the time (new gen Honda fit coming next year ) I'm gonna defer for now and see how it goes in 2013.

If I have an urge to drive fast I drive the same insight fast and more aggressive. There's just no stupid button that will put me in a sport mode. Or I rent a zip car and have at it.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

"fast and aggressive" and still get 50+ mpg. Love it.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 346K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.