Is oil pan plastic? - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
Looks like 265 for the part
Honda Automotive Parts

Maybe you can find a used one? If you do replace it (I would... a dribble from an epoxy patch could quickly turn into a rush without warning), get a Fumoto valve at the same time so you don't have to worry about stripped threads in the drain... a VERY common issue with ham-fisted high school students at Jiffy Lubes and apparently dealerships.

Sam
Do you also use the hose clamp on the Fumoto valve to make sure it doesn't open accidentally or just use it as is? I like the idea of this easy to use valve...Walmart put my drain plug on so tight they couldn't get it off on the next trip (on my pt cruiser, I'd never take the Insight to them).
amalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

I just use it as is and haven't had a problem for 160K miles. The spring is still stiff after 3 years of use.
Varak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

HONDA INSIGHT 2000 - FUMOTO DRAIN VALVE F-106N picture by AbCaRed00 - Photobucket

I've got mine mounted as seen in the pic so the lever is up out of the way of anything that might catch from under the car ... plus if you look at the cut-away diagram inset you can see the spring Varak mentions plus you have to move the lever over a notch to get it to open. No problems with it either.
[Remove the stock backing plate prior to installation and use the gasket provided with the Fumoto F-106N]
Engine P-Codes Diagnostics etc Google Spreadsheet

AbCaRed00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #14 (permalink)

Honda dealer charged me over $800 plus another $200 to fix the hood that did not latch closed. That damn ebay seller. He KNEW there was a damaged oil pan & nonworking hood latch, but never revealed it in the advertisement (as required by law). I don't know how dishonest sellers live with themselves:

- Had a guy sell me a PS2 with the connector broken off. Was supposedly "mint"
- Had a book delivered to me that literally feel apart when I opened it. Supposedly like "new" and mint.
- Had a DVD mailed that was all scratched-up. Supposedly like "new" in condition.
- Even amazon has started being dishonest. They sent me a printer that "only has box damage" but when I received it, the thing didn't turn-on at all. I returned it and now they are claiming they never got the return (tracking shows an amazon employee signed for it). I think I will start calling amazon "sears" instead.

To repeat: I don't know how people can live with their own dishonesty when selling. Especially with cars where you are *required by law* to reveal all the flaws in cases where the buyer cannot inspect the car himself (long distance internet sale).
70+ Prius G3
theaveng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #15 (permalink)

Or how about them calling the drain plug worn when they stripped it?
I saw a receipt that showed mine was rlaced by the previuos owner for $600.
Thats why I will do my own oil change even if it costs more than having it done.
And thats just for the materials!
Subdewd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Cake Send a message via Yahoo to Aaron Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff652 View Post
I had one with a hairline crack. I asked here if it could be TIG welded and got laughed at. Apparently oil soaked magnesium is not as easy to weld as aluminum . . .
Could be done, but just isn't worth it unless the welder's time is free. The thing would need to be thoroughly cleaned, the blasted, then the crack ground completely to eliminate all the junk caught in it and expose the whole thing. It would need to be V'ed out so there was plenty of room to sink a good weld, then of course the actual welding. Probably 5 - 6 hours.

I have a cracked Insight pan I've been meaning to weld up for a while, just to see if I can. On the long list of projects though.
Aaron Cake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #17 (permalink)

Like the Cosmo!!!!!
Mr. Fuji is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.