Rear Speaker(s) Question - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rear Speaker(s) Question

I put a new radio and door speakers in last night thanks to advice from members here - thanks! BIG difference in quality.

I've read about there being a speaker behind the drivers seat and passenger seat - is that correct? Mine doesn't have it, but from what I've read the car is all set up for installing speakers back there and even has wiring ready for a speaker, but you just have to cut the carpet. Is that right?

If so, is getting the "honda template" worth it? What size are the speakers? Also, doesn't it defeat the purpose of having speakers there if they're going to get muffled by the back of the seat? Does adding the rear speakers add a lot to the sound/quality? Would you say it's worth it?

Thanks for any information.
-Ryan
CBR Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

6.5", same as the front. Honda put in a plastic disk to fill in the hole, it pops right out. Once you find the location you will have to cut the carpet. I was able to mount directly to the aluminum surrounding the speaker, didn't have the template. It does add to quality of sound, but I don't set my seats all the way back. I have a 3 - 4" gap between the seat and the speakers.

2000 DIY Garrett GT12 Turboed Silver Insight, #5550
Pioneer P3900MP CD/MP3 4 X Polk Audio 6.5", Stealth Box
Mima #47, BCM Gauge, Ford Hybrid Escaped™ custom 150v 11AH battery pack w. 20% current mod, Matiz rear springs & Monroe shocks, 25mm rear wheel spacers & Blasphemer™ spat cutout, single cone tranny mod
uhtrinity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the information. To find where to cut were you able to just feel with your hand? Is the wiring alreayd there? Also, are there (2) speakers in the rear (one behind each seat) or just the one speaker behind the driver's seat?
Thanks,
Ryan
CBR Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR Shadow View Post
Thanks for the information. To find where to cut were you able to just feel with your hand? Is the wiring alreayd there? Also, are there (2) speakers in the rear (one behind each seat) or just the one speaker behind the driver's seat?
Thanks,
Ryan
The wiring is there, the same plugs that are on the front stock speakers. I pulled the carpet back to find the spot, starting near center on the cutting. There is one speaker location behind each seat.

2000 DIY Garrett GT12 Turboed Silver Insight, #5550
Pioneer P3900MP CD/MP3 4 X Polk Audio 6.5", Stealth Box
Mima #47, BCM Gauge, Ford Hybrid Escaped™ custom 150v 11AH battery pack w. 20% current mod, Matiz rear springs & Monroe shocks, 25mm rear wheel spacers & Blasphemer™ spat cutout, single cone tranny mod
uhtrinity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Definitely worth adding rear speakers IMHO as they add to the surround sound. Of course you can always optimize the settings for each speaker once they are mounted to your liking. Good quality speakers are always worth the extra cost and the more, the better.
Honda self-propelled, hydrostatic, commercial grade mower
MrChuckles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

hmm.. I wonder what if you install speakers in the rear, but dont cut the carpet, or just peel away the inner white foam on the carpet where the speaker is. The sound may be a little muffled, but its already muffled from being right behind the seats.
02insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.