Battery Display Stuck? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Battery Display Stuck?

My battery display was stuck at 3 bars for over 50 miles... It still showed assist/regen, but the actual battery level just stayed the same.

It felt as though I had battery assist (and, more than what I'd typically feel at 3 bars), but the display literally just sat there. I went up and down some decent sized hills, no change.

Today, I just drove home from work, and it finally moved. It went to 4, then 5, and ended at 6 when I got home. So, hopefully it is now fixed; but does anyone know what happened?

P.S. Someone really should figure out how to get the Calpod Switch -- or something similar -- to work on an MT 2006
rickyzambro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyzambro View Post
P.S. Someone really should figure out how to get the Calpod Switch -- or something similar -- to work on an MT 2006
Have you looked at the potential of the mini bcm interceptor?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

A few weeks ago, a similar thing happened to me. I had dropped it off for body work (big raccoon), they had it almost a week, then my wife picked it up and brought it home. Sooo, I hadn't been the one driving it, but got it back with 3 bars. It NEVER gets that low when I drive it, usually the lowest is 12 and then it with charge when driving. I took it for a long errand the next day and experienced about the same thing you did. I was doing my best to make it charge, but it didn't seem to be working. I was getting frustrated and a little worried. On my way back home, I suddenly realized it was now fully charged. Ever since, it seems to act just as it always had.

TPS mod; Scanguage; K&N air filter; Window Tint; Engine block heater; 100% gas (recently)

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/22304.png
jkbrushaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Excellent project. Start studying the problem, experiment with your car, and then share the results when you figure out how to do it. You want it, so do it. Don't wait for "somebody", whoever that is.....

Sam

Quote:
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
Fumoto Valve
New Mexico license plate KERS
Alpine Stereo
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post
Have you looked at the potential of the mini bcm interceptor?
I have not. I will have to do some reading. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrushaber View Post
A few weeks ago, a similar thing happened to me. I had dropped it off for body work (big raccoon), they had it almost a week, then my wife picked it up and brought it home. Sooo, I hadn't been the one driving it, but got it back with 3 bars. It NEVER gets that low when I drive it, usually the lowest is 12 and then it with charge when driving. I took it for a long errand the next day and experienced about the same thing you did. I was doing my best to make it charge, but it didn't seem to be working. I was getting frustrated and a little worried. On my way back home, I suddenly realized it was now fully charged. Ever since, it seems to act just as it always had.
Yea, that's what's odd... Mine never jumped to full battery, tho. It just started going up from 3 bars and started acting "normal."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsux View Post
Excellent project. Start studying the problem, experiment with your car, and then share the results when you figure out how to do it. You want it, so do it. Don't wait for "somebody", whoever that is.....
Sam
Although I appreciate the encouragement -- and I understand that philosophy -- my hope is that someone has already solidified whether this is possible or not. There are many mechanically/electrically skilled and Insight-knowledgeable people [of which I am not one] on these forums that own the years the Calpod switch doesn't work on. The question was more geared at ascertaining whether anyone who owns one of these cars has figured a bypass or determined it unattainable. Basically, a call for information... It appears retep may have a potential way of doing this, which I will research into.

Thank you all for your responses
Old 11-20-2012, 03:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
My battery display was stuck at 3 bars for over 50 miles... It still showed assist/regen, but the actual battery level just stayed the same.

It felt as though I had battery assist (and, more than what I'd typically feel at 3 bars), but the display literally just sat there. I went up and down some decent sized hills, no change.

Today, I just drove home from work, and it finally moved. It went to 4, then 5, and ended at 6 when I got home. So, hopefully it is now fixed; but does anyone know what happened?

You could probably do a search on the 'three bar bug'.

The display is only loosely indicative of battery charge. Sometimes, when it reaches three bars, the battery is not low enough yet to start forced recharging or a recal.

It will remain at 3 bars until it drops low enough to initiate one of those or if it gains enough charge to start working its way back up normally (which is what happened to you).
Varak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

I think this is nearly the opposite of the 3 bar bug though. The traditional 3 bar bug manifests itself during discharge, the phenomenon they're describing happens during charging.

I've seen this behavior, but only on Insight #2, which is currently running newer computers. I wonder if it's a bug in the newer MCM revision(s)? I've never seen this behavior running older computers.

Home of the MAXIMA performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786
eli@bumblebeebatteries.com
Bumblebee Batteries, LLC

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm sorry, I've been out of commission these past few weeks. But yes, I am on the newer modules. So that would make sense.

As long as I don't need to worry about anything, or do anything, I'm good to go!

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.