What did you do to your G1 Insight today? - Page 223 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #2221 (permalink)

I can't rethread my hydraulic line into the new clutch slave cylinder. What the eff.. I hate working on cars
monstor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #2222 (permalink)

Get the cylinder and line as loose as possible so you can wiggle them around. The fitting needs to be very straight. Once you get it started you can tighten things back up.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #2223 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsux View Post
Get the cylinder and line as loose as possible so you can wiggle them around. The fitting needs to be very straight. Once you get it started you can tighten things back up.

Sam
I'm trying, god am I trying.

If anyone here ever thinks they're an inept mechanic, remember me struggling for like 5 hours trying to do this dumb simple thing. Good lord

edit: I finally got it. I think I was so concerned about cross threading I never bothered to try the wrench. It didn't seem to want to screw on with fingers but went on easily with the wrench. Now on to the master cylinder...

Last edited by monstor; 03-20-2017 at 07:16 PM.
monstor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #2224 (permalink)

Great! I'm glad you finally got it. I've had the same experience in the past, and now that you mention it, I remember getting it lined up with my fingers and gently turning it with a wrench. Cross threading it would ruin your whole day!

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #2225 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstor View Post
Maybe a stupid question but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere,

Can the Insight hood prop up to a straight 90 degree angle like lots of other Honda cars can?
If you never figured it out, yes it can. It's not quite 90*, but pretty close. You have to take the support arm (?) out of the hole on the left and stick it in a hole that's on the right side in what would be about the same spot, there's even a notched spot on the hood for it. I always support my hood this way, it's way too hard to work on the car with it "normal".
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstor View Post
I can't rethread my hydraulic line into the new clutch slave cylinder. What the eff.. I hate working on cars
Don't feel bad, I had the hardest time getting that right. I probably tried for about 3 hours before getting it. I feel like it'd be a ton easier now that I've had lots more experience wrenching, but while doing it over a year ago I was swearing that I never wanted to touch a car again.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #2226 (permalink)

Insurance and registration for the citrus. Inspection is next, then finally it's on the road.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA
'00 Citrus,,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 176k, MIMA,

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #2227 (permalink)

I restored a threaded hole to the mount bracket for the left rear fastener for plastic underbody panel. And so am now able to hold up the rear outer corner of the left rear underbody panel. There's a little wheel strake there, if that's the right term for it.

IIRC, there are four M6 screws for each panel, plus a bunch of plastic push fasteners. The screws like to rust into their holes. Steel screw in aluminum threaded tube = nasty corrosion. Screw head twisted off, screw was corroded into aluminum threaded sleeve on back side of bracket.

This was the rear outer mount point on driver's side rear plastic panel. It goes into a bracket that feels springy. Turned out the bracket is held in with ONE bolt. Removed bracket. Found threaded sleeve on back side, to hold the panel mounting screw. Dremel + cutoff wheel removed a lip of the sleeve and then sleeve came out.

I epoxied a T-nut onto back side of the bracket, restoring the threaded sleeve right where it's supposed to be. I used JB-Quick. Tension when in use, is mostly in the correct direction, pulling the nut against the bracket - so it's not trying to come apart constantly. Dremel ground the plating off the nut's mating surface, and also smoothed the high spots off the bracket surface where the nut goes.

threaded t-nut with little holes for brads, or in my case, gooped epoxy The nut I got was a bit longer than this one but I'm sure either length would work.

Last edited by brucepick; 03-21-2017 at 11:53 AM.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question