What did you do to your G1 Insight today? - Page 234 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2017, 11:44 AM   #2331 (permalink)

Keep an eye on that transparent hose i dont think it will handle the heat. If it pinches or collapses you will pressurize your crank
Sam12345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 12:44 AM   #2332 (permalink)

Installed gaz shocks
Old 05-19-2017, 02:44 AM   #2333 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor4326 View Post
Now Iím posting my drip-can mod. I purchased a billet can that was nicely made but too long and I modified it by shortening it and adding a different top. Pictures here. Since the car is still not running I canít give any data about the oil captured.

Silver Billet Square Aluminum Engine Oil Catch Tank Can Reservoir Breather Kit | eBay
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I would have just capped the line on the intake all together and just went catch can setup with both the vent there at the PCV and the one that goes before the TB.

~The weirdest fur you will ever meet O.o rwar!
Balto is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 07:38 AM   #2334 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Hi Balto, could you explain what you're saying, the the reason it's a better method. Thanks
minor4326 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #2335 (permalink)

Im not sure what Balto means either
Old 05-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #2336 (permalink)
Premium Member

So, in stock form, a lot of oil flows into the intake. Like, a lot. Enough to puddle on the bottom of the intake.

The way you have it set up right now, oil vapors still get into the intake (granted, not much) but still some.

The best way (in my opinion) is this way.

There are two valve cover ventilation holes that dump into the intake. One is from the PCV directly into the intake, and the other connects to the air box, just above the air filter.

You get a catch can like the one I will post below, and run a line to the PCV and the line that goes above the intake to it. This completely isolates the crankcase ventilation from the air intake, but allows the vapors to escape because it's a vent-to-atmosphere type catch can. Also, don't forget to cap the original PCV line that is on the intake.

Link

[Edit]: I originally deployed this style catch can on my sand rail which has a 1600cc VW engine. The stock system put the oil vapors into the intake, and in the winter, the oil that was getting into the intake was thickening up and causing all sorts of issues. Ever since I put the catch can on there, I haven't had a single problem and the intake is squeaky clean.

~The weirdest fur you will ever meet O.o rwar!

Last edited by Balto; 05-19-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Balto is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 02:40 PM   #2337 (permalink)

Will that system be emission legal or would i need to remove before yearly inspection?
Old 05-19-2017, 03:17 PM   #2338 (permalink)

likely isn't allowable if you have any visual inspections and emissions testing still. PCV isn't supposed to be vented to atmosphere by typical emissions standards. not that it really hurts much, it's oil vapor, not so much fuel vapor.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #2339 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam12345 View Post
Will that system be emission legal or would i need to remove before yearly inspection?
Depends. It would be legal here in Richmond, where there is no emissions test. Well-at least it would not be detected. Probably not legal if EPA or whatever from Washington knew.

I suspect it would not pass in most metro areas where there are emissions tests. Honda did it the way they did to help meet emissions levels. Crankcase vapors are almost certainly considered a pollutant or they would not be handled they way they are. Many serious car owners would not like to dump crankcase vapors into their intake if it were legally avoidable.

You might get away with it, but that doesn't make it legal. JMHO

Race cars almost always vent to atmosphere, but there are currently no regulations governing this. This is the major reason that catch tanks and venting systems are available on the internet and otherwise.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #2340 (permalink)

Yeah i remember the mesh filters on the valve covers and when you had too much blowby it would get all over engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question