Anodized insight? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anodized insight?

It was suggested to me that I strip the paint off my car and anodize the surface of the aluminum body. Is that even possible?
70+ Prius G3
theaveng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

I don't see why not, but it would be exceedingly difficult, and I'm not sure what you would do about the plastic body parts.

You'll need someone with a hell of an anodizing tank! The car would have to be stripped down to its bare chassis...

I'm not sure if anodizing is the best solution for the automotive environment anyway. It's certainly tough stuff, but it's brittle, especially in the event of large temperature swings.

It's also quite susceptible to alkaline and acid environments, so it probably wouldn't be pretty anymore after a few years in salt country.

Home of the MAXIMA performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786
eli@bumblebeebatteries.com
Bumblebee Batteries, LLC

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

everything Eli said ... but it would save a few pounds , if you've already done lots of other weight saving ideas ... or if you just like the look of it ... there are some interesting color options for anodizing.
  • Completed Modifications: MIMA(#024) + FAS + DabrowskiGridCharger + OBDIC&C + HighwaterDashResetButtons + AC Compressor Bypass
  • Current Primary On-Going Project: A123 PHEV Mod
IamIan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Ummm to the best of my knowledge, anodizing aluminum requires the item to be electrically charged and submerged for a period of time in a vat of acid, kinda difficult to do with something the size of a car. Besides, you'd have no recourse should you get a scratch in the finish.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thought this was an interesting read, especially the link that talks about hardcoat anodizing. At least you know they can handle the size - you could almost drive your whole car into their anodizing tank. 32 feet by 5 feet by 2.5 feet.
Anodize Aluminum: Hard Coat Aluminum Anodize, Clear and Color Anodizing, Custom Anodizing by Superior Metals Technologies - Indianapolis, Indiana (IN)
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Sounds like a first rate idea. I'm sure the time, effort and dollars spent would well justify the savings....
#1 - 2000 Silver #4965, not working now, 175k Miles, 61 LMPG - will probably turn into all Electric
#2 - 2000 Silver #4095, 212k Miles, 55 LMPG, OBDIIC&C by Peter, GCIM1 by Mike, New MaxIMA by Eli
www.TucsonEV.com
Tucson AZ
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 03:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawja View Post
Ummm to the best of my knowledge, anodizing aluminum requires the item to be electrically charged and submerged for a period of time in a vat of acid, kinda difficult to do with something the size of a car. Besides, you'd have no recourse should you get a scratch in the finish.
Electrically charged yes ... the area to be anodized exposed the the chemical reactant yes ... and yes typically they do an entire object all at once ... but AFAIK that is not chemically required ... the part that is exposed would be the part that reacts ... the electrical current will travel from any one point to any other point through the aluminum shell.

Now the reason they usually do the whole part at once is for uniformity ... spot area or touch up anodizing can be extremely hard to try and match and blend in with the the rest.

Of course if that variation was desired or part of the anodizing design then it wouldn't matter.

Like others said its probably not cost effective for the few pounds you would save ... but it could work ... and it would be fairly unique if one wanted to do it.
  • Completed Modifications: MIMA(#024) + FAS + DabrowskiGridCharger + OBDIC&C + HighwaterDashResetButtons + AC Compressor Bypass
  • Current Primary On-Going Project: A123 PHEV Mod
IamIan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to jonnyvtec

The body will already have an e-coat thats appropriate for aluminium corrosion. The main issues on the insight are where fasteners interface anyway.
jonnyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

You'd probably be better of getting it Alocrom 1200 dipped, it's a far simpler & less costly process.
IMA C&C (to be fitted)
ODBII C&C

2000 New Formula Red G1 Insight
105,000 miles
Mark Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaveng View Post
It was suggested to me that I strip the paint off my car and anodize the surface of the aluminum body. Is that even possible?
The front and rear bumpers, front fenders and rear skirts are all plastic. They won't anodize.
2000 MT #4227 175K miles - Citrus Yellow, BetterBattery
Hybrid-Battery-Repair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.