Auto stop - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Auto stop

I can't seem to get auto stop. But it"s been cold here. Is it dependent on ambient temp? I drove around for an hour or so and the car was fully warmed up.
It worked prior to me disassembling and balancing the cells. I also tried getting the climate control to show a code but doesn't respond to pushing the auto and off buttons.
Subdewd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yes, low ambient temp sensor will make autostop quit.
You can move the sensor closer to a warmer location such as adjacent the radiator in the linked photo; some detach wire fasteners and move the sensor inside the engine bay; others put in a resistor to alter the signal.
Seems like normal operation in cold and the cell balancing could be coincidental to the low temps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdewd2 View Post
I also tried getting the climate control to show a code but doesn't respond to pushing the auto and off buttons.
The sequence of testing the a/c:
1. Turn the ignition switch 'On'.
2. Press the 'Auto' button and then the 'Off' button.
3. Continue to hold both buttons down.

If there are errors a bar will FLASH in the digital display pattern at left alternatively with the number '88' on the A/C screen on the dash. Perhaps none to show as all is well.

You could induce 'forced-autostop' FAS with a device that MikeD sells. One sold fast recently on IC.
I use FAS as part of Mima but not so much now in cold weather when the car does need the heat.
Engine P-Codes Diagnostics etc Google Spreadsheet

AbCaRed00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

According to the manual auto stop will stop working around 40F is the climate control is running. I seem to get auto stop at much colder temps, but usually I have the climate control turned off.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Speed View Post
According to the manual auto stop will stop working around 40F is the climate control is running. I seem to get auto stop at much colder temps, but usually I have the climate control turned off.
My 2005 autostop stopped working when it got cold here. ..... 60F. (Hey, this is SOUTH Florida, 40 is really COLD to us!)

I moved the sensor next to where the ground cables mount in front of the battery and all is well. The sensor contacts were pretty dirty looking so that might have offset the sensor resistance. I cleaned them with some contact cleaner.
1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph
http://dmr-architect.com/~locouki/
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default 60 degrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrowdy01 View Post
My 2005 autostop stopped working when it got cold here. ..... 60F. (Hey, this is SOUTH Florida, 40 is really COLD to us!)

I moved the sensor next to where the ground cables mount in front of the battery and all is well. The sensor contacts were pretty dirty looking so that might have offset the sensor resistance. I cleaned them with some contact cleaner.
Can't resist commenting on the 60 degree "coldness." Northern Ohio is hardly the Arctic, but yesterday it warmed up to around 20 and felt pretty good.... My 2013--granted it IS practically new--has been doing autostop once the engine is good and warm in ambient temperatures as low as 10 degrees. Just shows that there is a range in autostop control based on several factors. It may be possible that different "eras" or year-models of Insights have different settings or parameters for utilizing autostop, and as the previous poster notes, condition of the components definitely can make a difference.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
Can't resist commenting on the 60 degree "coldness." Northern Ohio is hardly the Arctic, but yesterday it warmed up to around 20 and felt pretty good.... My 2013--granted it IS practically new--has been doing autostop once the engine is good and warm in ambient temperatures as low as 10 degrees. Just shows that there is a range in autostop control based on several factors. It may be possible that different "eras" or year-models of Insights have different settings or parameters for utilizing autostop, and as the previous poster notes, condition of the components definitely can make a difference.
This is the time of year when we kid the people who are in colder areas of the country. You notice we don't mention the alligators and/or crocodiles in the swimming pools or Burmese pythons eating everything in the everglades etc. We also have some crazy vultures from up north that come down here to eat rubber trim and windshield wiper blades from parked cars!!
1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph
http://dmr-architect.com/~locouki/
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.