Insight in cold? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Insight in cold?

It is very cold here in quebec this week. -29 (-18F)

My insight is incredible. It start very well (my grounds seems to be good )

No engine noise on start up (no noisy power steering or alternator)

The cabin heating is pretty good (if you drive)

I think it is my best car to drive in cold.

The only cons is the fuel economy. it goes near 5.5l/100km
talonmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

now that you mention it.....i don't seem to get quite as much valve noise on a start in the very cold weather......

The temps (-1F to +10F) the past few days are killing my MPGs. I took the "fast" route Tuesday to work, with a head wind, and only managed 58 MPG, same route home with a slight tail wind at 0F I could only manage 62 MPG. My "slow" route is only managing 65MPG in the 10F weather. I filled up yesterday and the tank MPG was only 65.8 MPG. I have a hot air intake mod that gets 60 to 65F above ambient in this weather as well.

On top of that, the IMA system keeps screwing with the IMA battery. The past few days when I leave work (0F to +10F) the car starts to force charge (4 to 10 amps) the battery for about 10 to 12 miles (upper 40s to low 50s MPG at the 10 mile point, typically charges to about 86%), then proceeds to burn off the charge it just put in down to 76%. When I got home last night it was arount 75%. Then when I started the car this morning it only read about 66%. The read window defroster is obviously working, but I never turn it on....
Old 01-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

lol mines doing the same thing! I even saw the last charge bar light up twice-only to be forced back down to half. its not -29 here, but id agree the insight is a great winter car in terms of starting reliability.
2000 #1007 orig owner
mt/ac,
First insight to twist the camshaft
biododge1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

My mercedes 240d had a unique starting procedure for cold, cold weather. You had to pull out the idle start up all the way, turn the key on and wait 30 second, press accelerator to the floor and hold it. Once 30 second was up turn key and hold it til the car started. Do not release throttle til the engine reved up above idle speed.

It also suggested mixing gas with the diesel too.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

I like my Insight's good starting reliability in the very cold weather too. It hasn't gotten to -30Celsius deg. here this year for starting at least, but within a few degrees -26C was seen over X-mas in a stay in Sask. I've hardly ever plugged the 440w block heater even though I should if I could plan my driving times better.

fwiw: for cranking ability and any added electrical loads, my car's using a previous owner installed non-stock size 'Type 51' 12V battery rated at 550ca/450cca. It's got lots of reserve when it's kicking in the accessory starter motor below the about -10C deg. Ima battery cell temp threshold. It usually gets the Insight's engine idling quickly within a few cranks at those low temps no problem for the most part.
I did have to give the engine a bit of pedal to make it start when it was extremely cold and sitting for a few days on occasion early on, but normally it's just turn the key and up it cranks.
Great car as it is for winters just with some cardboard and tape etc. Running the stock 0w-20 no doubt helps. When I first saw the car I took a video of the engine sound seconds after a cold start-up, [-8C] , and with the 5W-30 Castrol they ran it was a bit clattery but after a minute or two, quieter and remains about the same in spite of proper viscosity now.
Cleaning posts/connections and topping cell electrolyte levels with water was done before winter's onset and no issues in starting have occurred. Replaced a previously broken/repaired ground strap finally with a new one too.
One thing I find even in the relatively dry cold prairie air for me is fogging-up of the interior glass. It's the short city trips, stop and go, where heat doesn't build up and where visibility is an issue for me, but no more so than a lot of other vehicles in winter. I'll try open the hatch let the heated air out next time when parking to see if the windows are any clearer but it varies a bunch.

fwiw: I've altered how I operate the heater controls after start-up in the extreme cold from other vehicles because of the Insight's small displacement: I run with 'Defrost' button pushed with A/C 'Auto' on and set at Max Temp. I run that way for the first few miles recirculating cabin air, partially to get more mechanical 'load' on the engine with the A/C running, and also for dryer air glass. But after a few mins, I find switching air supply to the fresh outside source will help reduce fogging [drier source with no recirculated breathed moisture] for clearer glass. I reduce the desired cabin air temperature to about 'room temp' and switch to 'econ no a/c' once glass is clearing enough. With a few layers of cardboard in front of the radiator, plus some other warm air modifications, i find the insight can be nice and toasty enough [albeit with winter clothing] even in extreme temps running at highway speeds.
I like the Insight in cold with Mima; a way to control ima charging, put load on engine in cold to speed warmup, and as a manual form of low speed 'traction control' operated via joystick . I can see why some may put the control on the e-brake handle now perhaps for better handling in ice and snow.
Engine P-Codes Diagnostics etc Google Spreadsheet

AbCaRed00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

My last bar is on since last week
talonmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have also seen that the shocks, rears in particular, seem to really stiffen up and the ride gets quite hard in the 0 to 10F temps.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.