Need a grid charger- - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

There are others out there, They use Mikes original charger design and make a "dumb" charger (no automatic shut down no safety features) and the prices I'v seen are ridiculous. But if you want a "cool" blue glow then they are for you
Hitech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitech View Post
There are others out there, They use Mikes original charger design and make a "dumb" charger (no automatic shut down no safety features) and the prices I'v seen are ridiculous. But if you want a "cool" blue glow then they are for you
I like the auto- shutdown option and safety options and am leaning towards the 350ma version because a slower charge produces less heat. I also see that I'm a few learning curves behind and need to study further. There's alot of software functions to understand with Mike's grid charger and it's abit overwhelming at first glance.
Bob D. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFuelTim View Post
By any chance have you done the Calpod modification yet? This is where you can cut out assist / regen at will.

My 0.02 worth,
Tim
Haven't done that one yet. I've only tried adjusting my driving habits to compensate when the SOC is running on the low side. It sounds like a good thing to have. I think I would only use it sparingly because I'm not really sure if I'm smarter than the car's computer, although I don't understand why the car's computer would keep the SOC in a low state for any signicant period of time in the first place.
Bob D. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

The original 350ma was to "soak" charge the PAC to revive unbalanced cells. He since saw the wisdom in being able to fully discharge and re-charge the battery to recover capacity. The time for that to occur, using 350ma, was judged to be excessive, so, the later models (the current models) have both 1 amp and 350ma rate. The 1 amp rate is use for the majority of the charge and the 350ma to finish. The 350ma only charger will do the job but take a lot longer.
Hitech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.