Need a grid charger- - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need a grid charger-

Where I live the endless stop signals and the hills seem to overextend the IMA battery. It's almost always below a quarter charge. Was wondering what, or which models out there are the best-
or is there any difference at all between any of them?
Bob D. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you want the best go to http://99mpg.com/Projectcars/gridcharger/
Hitech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks-
I watched the one hour install video last night on youtube. Sure looks like alot of work. Is there anyone near me, (Orange County, Ca.) who has done this specific upgrade? If so, I would like to meet up and see what the system looks like installed. I'll come to your place if that makes it easier.
Also, would like to hear any feed back, both positive and negative, from others who have installed this specific grid charger. I'm assuming this upgrade will prolong IMA battery life and that is the main reason for installing this apparatus.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

I only made one change, I did not remove the battery, rather, connected to the spade connector on the fwd lug of the "white" resistor using a "piggy back" connector. (take care, the Honda Spade connector had an "unlock button"), The entire install only took a bit over an hour.

I couldn't be happier with it, after three charge cycles each followed by aggressive use of assist till the SOC was as low as it would go (I don't have the discharger yet). After that it was like a new car, no re-cal's no IMA faults and very small changes in SOC during my daily drive. My 2006 has 294,000 on the original bat.

Last edited by Hitech; 01-27-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

I, too, was discouraged by the amount of work required to install the battery charger harness in the best manner (i.e., by removing the battery pack). My herniated lumbar disc would not be happy removing and installing the battery pack, even if I had made a battery pack lifter and had enlisted an assistant.

So like Hitech, I installed the positive lead using a piggyback spade connector in 2009 with my first simple charger and again in 2012 with my advanced Genesis 1 charger. While bolting the positive lead to the battery pack per Mike's instructions is undoubtedly a more reliable method, Honda didn't seem concerned about using a spade connector to connect a wire carrying full battery pack voltage to the large white resistor, so neither am I. I took care to route the positive charger harness lead so that it would be more difficult for it to unplug. This approach has caused no problems in over 3 years.

It's better to use a charger with a harness installed without removing the battery pack than it is to not use a charger because removing the battery pack to install the harness is too difficult.
Uppsala, Sweden: 2000 Insight A/C #559 with Honda security system, Genesis One MIMA+FAS and grid charger, OBDIIC&C, Rostra, Fumoto, DEFA engine block heater, Philips LED DRL's
Honolulu: 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
aisbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks to both you guys for the input-
Hitech, 294k on the original battery sounds amazing. Don't think I've heard anyone else do that. It speaks well for Mike D.'s grid charger. Do you remember what mileage was on your Insight and the date you installed it?
Aisbell- what does the Genisis 1 do that Mike's doesn't?
I'd rather not do this twice-
Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

I installed it about a month ago as I was starting to have issues. As I said all is well now.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitech View Post
I installed it about a month ago as I was starting to have issues. As I said all is well now.
Ok, for some reason I thought you had installed it long ago.
The 294k is probably because you drive on flat ground (still very impressive regardless) and don't push the recharge/discharge to extremes.
I, on the other hand, took my '03MT up to the high Sierra 6 times last year (sea level to 10,000 ft.) and probably will do the same later on this year. (the car performed great carrying myself-180 lbs. and a 40 lb. backpack.)
But I certainly exercised the IMA vigorously and my battery life will surely be affected in the long run.
Even more reason to install the grid charger.
My IMA battery was replaced at about 60-62k.
I have 71k on the vehicle now, so about I've got about 10k on the new IMA battery.
And don't want to destroy it.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob D. View Post
Ok, for some reason I thought you had installed it long ago.
The 294k is probably because you drive on flat ground (still very impressive regardless) and don't push the recharge/discharge to extremes.
I, on the other hand, took my '03MT up to the high Sierra 6 times last year (sea level to 10,000 ft.) and probably will do the same later on this year. (the car performed great carrying myself-180 lbs. and a 40 lb. backpack.)
But I certainly exercised the IMA vigorously and my battery life will surely be affected in the long run.
Even more reason to install the grid charger.
My IMA battery was replaced at about 60-62k.
I have 71k on the vehicle now, so about I've got about 10k on the new IMA battery.
And don't want to destroy it.

By any chance have you done the Calpod modification yet? This is where you can cut out assist / regen at will.

My 0.02 worth,
Tim
TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob D. View Post
what does the Genisis 1 do that Mike's doesn't?
Genesis One is the name of Mike's company that designs, builds, and sells Mike's charger. So Mike's chargers are Genesis One chargers.
Uppsala, Sweden: 2000 Insight A/C #559 with Honda security system, Genesis One MIMA+FAS and grid charger, OBDIIC&C, Rostra, Fumoto, DEFA engine block heater, Philips LED DRL's
Honolulu: 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
aisbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.