Generation 1 Tires - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Generation 1 Tires

Since Bridgestone has now discontinued the Potenza P165/65R14 tires, what is the best choice now for 1st Generation Insights?

I went to Firestone Dealer & they are marked "D" in their system, for discontinued.

Will Michelin Energy Saver Tires 165/65R14 be a good replacement?

-Keagan
keagan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

Tire Rack still had them as of 48 hours ago. Might be worth a try . . .
Current score: Bought/Selling/Sold/Dismantled nine silvers, two blues, and a Citrus beauty to keep for myself.
jeff652 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

You already know that nothing beats the RE92 for efficiency. Best deal: $85 each they used to offer free shipping too. http://www.tirebuyer.com/products/ti...&noFilter=true The set should last 60-80,000 miles.

After that, you can try GT CHAMPIRO in same size for $47 each. Car will take an MPG hit, but folks who don't drive a ton of miles may be better off buying these for half price of the Bridgestones. CHAMPIRO 128 - OnlineTires.com
Silver 2001 Insight 5spd - #0160 *Joined the Stable of a Fellow Insighter*: 275+K miles
(Had some bruises, needed some stuff...but I still loved it.)

Citrus w/ A/C 112K miles

Citrus w/ A/C - #2083
270K miles
Sold to a fellow Insight owner.
freezin4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to gjenn12
Default tyres

just bough some last week tyrebuyers they have them in stock
gjenn12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

I got mine at Costco not very long ago, and a great price due to a sale or something.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keagan View Post
Since Bridgestone has now discontinued the Potenza P165/65R14 tires, what is the best choice now for 1st Generation Insights?

I went to Firestone Dealer & they are marked "D" in their system, for discontinued.

Will Michelin Energy Saver Tires 165/65R14 be a good replacement?

-Keagan
Hmmmm... interesting... I went to Car Tires and Truck Tires | Bridgestone Tires, Potenza RE92 Tire | Bridgestone Tires put in the Insight specs and up came the RE92.... MSPR $101.99, no mention of the tire being discontinued.

And it seems that nobody else has said they are being discontinued...

Maybe Firestone wanted to sell one of their own tires... or didn't want to order them for you.
#1 - 2000 Silver #4965, not working now, 175k Miles, 61 LMPG - will probably turn into all Electric
#2 - 2000 Silver #4095, 212k Miles, 55 LMPG, OBDIIC&C by Peter, GCIM1 by Mike, New MaxIMA by Eli
www.TucsonEV.com
Tucson AZ
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush View Post
Hmmmm... interesting... I went to Car Tires and Truck Tires | Bridgestone Tires, Potenza RE92 Tire | Bridgestone Tires put in the Insight specs and up came the RE92.... MSPR $101.99, no mention of the tire being discontinued.

And it seems that nobody else has said they are being discontinued...

Maybe Firestone wanted to sell one of their own tires... or didn't want to order them for you.
Er..

RE-92's Discontinued ?

Though, it doesn't seem it was ever solidly confirmed that our size of the RE92 was actually discontinued....

Home of the MAXIMA performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786
eli@bumblebeebatteries.com
Bumblebee Batteries, LLC

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thumbs down RE92s at Costco

My original tires lasted 11 years, they were so awesome I decided to replace them in May 2011 with a new set from Costco, replacement RE 92s. Those replacement ones have lasted for only two years and are now worn away, they did not last anywhere near as long as the factory set. Costco told me it is my car, but I am sure it is not. Nothing is different the car tracks perfectly on highway at 75 mph and I always kept them at max air pressure. Two years of approx. 20,000 miles was bad. New the replacements had very shallow tread depth, they looked like 50% tread off the shelf. Since there is no mileage warranty on the RE92 bought at Costco I am just stuck buying another 4 set again. Even if the gas mileage is better, it is not worth replacing the tire so soon. Costco manager had told me two years ago if the tires wore prematurely he would cut me a deal as I had been concerned with no mileage warranty. When I brought that up today I was told "nothing they could do". Plus, when I bought the tires 2 years ago they put both side panels on wrong and they came off on highway and messed up paint. They took a report but didn't reimburse or repair the damage. I am going to try a more modern tire that has a high durability rating. Looks like all are 185 wide tho, will those work?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ting=S&tab=All

BTW tire rack has them $77 each

Last edited by Itripper; 04-29-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Itripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default I wouldn't recommend 185s at all

I got rid of a set of 185s from our CVT last year and installed the RE92s. Mileage went from 48 to 55mpg on the next tank of gas (this was with AC running continuously). My recent acquisition ('01 MT) came with Michelin Energy Savers, and they are almost as good as the RE92s. I have to work a little harder to average 70mpg, but it can be done.

My 0.02 worth,
Tim Glover
TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hi Keagan,

the nice man at tire rack said
"it is rare that an OEM tire is discontinued"
I took it him to mean, as is possible for us to tell, the tire is not discontinued.

once upon a time these tires were hard to find, I understand.
there is always an interest in alternatives, which are, hopefully, better.

victor
bibendum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.