High Mileage and best MPG doc - Page 9 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #81 (permalink)
Hypermiler / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertguy View Post
I bought my used insight at 240,000 miles with 48 LMPG on the readout. I reset it when I bought it and now at 342,000 miles and MY LMPG is 59. If I hadn't reset it probably would have been low to mid 50s?
Yep. You must kicking some serious 'gas'
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, "Silver Glider", 206k,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA
'00 Citrus,,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 176k, MIMA,

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #82 (permalink)

I have a hard time believing 90mpg with no resets. Sorry i say BS
Sam12345 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #83 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Readily doable for a dedicated hypermiler.
'05 G1 CVT w/192K mi as of 7/2016; '02 G1 CVT w/182K mi as of 7/2016 (P1449 HR pack); '06 HCH2 #1 w/145K mi as of 7/2016 (SOLD!), '06 HCH2 #2 w/223k mi as of 2/2016 (SOLD!); '03 Prius w/166K mi - Pack rebuilt with Gen2 modules; '08 Prius w/135k mi as of 7/2016; '07 Prius w/185k mi as of 7/2016

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #84 (permalink)

Not with a stock car if its modified they should say so it is not doable
Old 01-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #85 (permalink)

It is doable!
Especially in a "Stock" vehicle.

It all has to do with the "LOOSE NUT" on the steering wheel.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 395,000 mi. @ 58.0 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #86 (permalink)

What is your definition of stock. Mima is not stock clutch switch is not stock its not doable unless you drive 40 mph and rarely stop. Not doable driving to real places in real situations. I even see in mpg competitions reported here that stock cars get that.

Last edited by Sam12345; 01-11-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:39 AM   #87 (permalink)

Well yeah you'd have to hypermile you couldn't do that trying to keep up with traffic.

My absolute best was 78 but my car was far from stock. However, that was with no IMA because the battery was dead. Stock with a working IMA you could do better than 78 if you hypermiled even more aggressively than I was.

But you'd have to use every trick in the book. I'm talking like key-off EoC up to stop signs and into parking spots and rolling into an elevated spot so you can kick-push the car to get it rolling again in neutral, and like parking at the parking spot absolutely the farthest away from the building (closest to the road) so that you don't waste gas in the parking lot, and carrying nothing in the car to save weight, drive w/ lights off, no HVAC at all, etc.

Last edited by Natalya; 01-12-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Natalya is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 12:53 AM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam12345 View Post
I have a hard time believing 90mpg with no resets. Sorry i say BS
don't worry, you're not the only one.

best tank i've gotten between the 2 insights was 75mpg and that was a lucky shot with relatively ideal driving situations. if you read back, most people when this car was new 15+ years ago were struggling to learn how to get to 70mpg to a tank. 90mpg to a lifetime, yeah i highly doubt it hasn't been reset or has any mods. that is like handing someone a brand new insight that no one has ever driven and they immediately were getting 90+mpg from the get go... yeah, not buying it. even later on getting 110+ to offset it, we all know how easy it is to lose MPG and how hard it is to get it back.

with my 49.4mpg that was on my 300k mile clock i have zero chance of even getting over 60mpg on it before it dies. not using that as a comparison, just doubting someone could ever manage to get an average of 90+mpg over 250k miles. the silver one had 59.6LMPG, i think i managed to tick it up to 59.8LMPG while averaging about 65+mpg per tank for oh.... 10,000 miles or so. during winter, the car just hates lean burn, enough to where i can't picture anyone getting 90mpg even hypermiling a stock car unless they found a magical neverending downhill road, lol.

some things probably should be assumed in the chart and other things probably just false, but what ya gonna do.

Last edited by Lyger; 01-12-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Lyger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #89 (permalink)

I guess next report will be perpetual motion
Old 01-13-2017, 08:55 PM   #90 (permalink)

I do believe it could be done by maybe 2-3 people. Only driving the car when it's warm out, specially when you start out for a ride. Gotta have a real good battery. Pretty flat area or very tiny hills and you couldn't use it for 3 or 4 mile trips. Car has to warm up to get lean burn. For a tank or so it's pretty easy, lifetime pretty darn hard. You'd have to only take it out in perfect conditions.

Last edited by mrchinup; 01-13-2017 at 09:17 PM.
mrchinup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question