Honda Insight Forum banner

Rear window louver mock-up

13K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  fishcleaner 
#1 ·
I don't know how you guys in the sunny warm areas of the country do it. I'm tired of sitting in a microwave and putting together a rear window louver. What do you guys think? I know some of the aero will go away but using the air conditioner has to be worse.

See less See more
#3 ·
Very cool! I've been looking forward to this since you let us in on your plans while doing your trunk mod.

Are you planning on making them out of aluminum slats?

#5 ·
The Insight might have sold better with a Citroen badge and a louvered rear window. :)

I always liked the CX25 Turbo look with louvered rear window. It'll need some good creases to ensure the ally doesn't drum in the wind. It'll look pretty cool and retro.

Maybe the interior needs some leather seats with some big rivet holes too. GT40 style.

The success of this project will be down to the quality of the finished result don't rush it. Keep us posted.

#11 ·
Not sure, I think it would look good both ways. I have to make a wood buck so knocking off a few would be possible but they will be EXPENSIVE, there is a reason nobody has done this, it isn't easy.

1. What is wrong with some window tint? They have solar films that reflect a lot of light, some metallized almost mirror finishes available.

2. Why are you mounting them outside? Seems really... backwards for a car that is so advanced. Mounting them outside will disturb the aero, as well as produce tons of little negative pressure areas under the slats that will quickly get dirty. You could try putting some 'intake' holes on the sides of the louvers, which would draw air from the sides of the car, under the louvers, and hopefully OUT the slats. This would help... but... if you're set on this, why not just make some INSIDE the hatch?
I'm not a fan of window tint, it sucks at night but with the rear vertical glass on the hatch it wouldn't as bad as most cars.
Making the louvers on the inside is pointless at best because the heat is already inside the car. There is only a small area of the hatch that is viewed through, I was thinking of painting the upper half glass body color then doing something of a duel spoiler to shade the rest, will have to look into that more.

#7 ·
Love it! Keep us posted on progress.

#8 ·
1. What is wrong with some window tint? They have solar films that reflect a lot of light, some metallized almost mirror finishes available.

2. Why are you mounting them outside? Seems really... backwards for a car that is so advanced. Mounting them outside will disturb the aero, as well as produce tons of little negative pressure areas under the slats that will quickly get dirty. You could try putting some 'intake' holes on the sides of the louvers, which would draw air from the sides of the car, under the louvers, and hopefully OUT the slats. This would help... but... if you're set on this, why not just make some INSIDE the hatch?

#9 ·
I had considered looking for something like this when my Insight was in Honolulu with its very strong tropical sun. But I didn't park outside in the sun very much, so it wasn't a high priority. I was more interested in louvers that fit inside rather than outside the hatch window even though outside louvers would protect against heat being transferred inside a bit better. Inside louvers would avoid the problems of greater aerodynamic drag, needing to be strong enough to withstand high winds while driving fast, and possible vandalism. You might be able to attach inside louvers more easily as well.

#13 ·
Nothing makes a car look ****tier than rain guards. Want to look like you live in a trailer park or a low income apartment complex? Install rain guards today! It will let everyone know that you're a free spirit, and aesthetics mean nothing! More importantly, it'll let you get serious about smoking cigarettes, so you can puff away all day even when it's raining! :rolleyes:

#16 ·
Rain guards are nice in Arizona. I am assuming in Madison, WI they are not as neccesary, but here it can be 100 degrees during monsoon season and if the windows aren't cracked the interior of the car gets extremely hot! Couple that with monsoons that happen this time of year that can deliver torrential rains in a matter of minutes you are left with only two options, crack the windows and risk having seats and door panels water stained and soaking wet, or leave windows up and take the entire 1/2 hour drive to town for the car to cool off with AC on max (interior can reach 160+ degrees closed up). Rains guards, like my other cars have, would be AWESOME here; and I do have tinted windows, the car still gets insanely hot.

#17 ·
Both the rear window louvres, and side window vent-shades offer extra shade, and the vent-shade affords extra circulation to help mitigate HV battery damage from overheating.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#18 ·
First thing I thought of: Louvers on the inside. That would be awesome.

But my next thought was, I see where you object to tinting because of visibility issues... Why? The trick is not heavy tint, but a film that will reduce and/or reflect radiated heat. I've used FormulaOne film in all our cars from new for over 20 years, and the film does not hinder outward visibility at all, day or night (it's not dark in our applications, although I'm sure you can go limo tint if you wish). But putting my hand outside a window in sunlight, and then moving it behind the window, I can tell a huge difference in heat transfer. Here in Dallas, we're no strangers to heat...

Disclaimer: I'm only a pleased consumer, I have no connection to this outfit in any manner, shape, way, or form. I don't even own stock in the outfit, and don't even know if it's publicly traded. Stuff's not cheap, but man, it works better than anything out there...

#19 ·
I myself need to get tint to reduce heat, we are still getting 105+ degree days out here. I hate conventional tint because of the reduced visibility at night. Formula seems like a perfect alternative. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost for your insight to get it done?

#21 ·
rear hatch louvers

Great idea, the same thought occurred to me the other day as i was placing my sun shield on the inside. re "wonder if any rear hatch louvers such as for Saab Sonnet or Z cars would fit this?" Then i started to realize what a challenging project it could be. LOOKS GOOD! Probably fastening could be the hardest part.
Wonder just how much the aero WOULD be affected. I used to do a lot of tinkering around with fairings and windshields on motorcycles in a previous life. Now with computer aided design etc. some of you nerd types could probably do simulated wind tunnel/aerodynamic testing before even finishing a prototype. (wish i understood all that stuff).
Anyway, keep up the good work. Innovation is the spice of (my) life. jim

#23 ·
Just saw this thread, living in Phoenix I've actually thought about making the same thing but didn't have the materials or equipment to do it. Any update?

#24 ·
update: a spare hatch has been acquired and wood buck started tonight on it.
Still haven't nailed down how to attach it and hinge it, right now my thinking is a single small shark fin behind the antenna to hinge it and some Dzus fasteners to secure it down.

Open to suggestions. I do want to remove the louvers for the winter and don't want to leave anything ugly attached to the glass.

#26 · (Edited)
IIRC the original design louvres had a small frame with 4 (or more?) spade-like wedges inserted into the rubber window molding (between the glass surface and the rubber seal). Then there was the actual hinged louvre assembly that would open up as a unit so that the window could be accessed for cleaning.

Are you removing your wiper? If so, then there is an extra hole for you to work with.

Edit:
Looks like some designs have four attachment point. My guess is the have four spade inserts between glass and rubber at corners with short bolts sticking up, and then the assembly sits on top with capped nut securing it down. Looks like these plastic one piece louvres go on as one piece and you have to remove nuts if you wish to clean the glass surface.

From the product description for one of their louvres: "Super strong 3M™ VHB adhesive is used to attach the mounting brackets to the glass."

I think I would make 4 small posts with threaded shafts sticking up and bond it to the four corners of the glass.

#27 ·
I would think a few suction cups would probably keep that sucker down.... maybe have a lip on the front edge so it hooks over the front edge of the hatch, and suction cups along the edges.

#28 · (Edited)
IMHO, I think the winds of 65 mph and changing weather will loosen anything that's not bolted, welded, or industrially adhered. (and if it comes loose and hits someone else's vehicle, liability will come into play.)

#29 ·
After having a spoiler on my VW installed with nothing other than 3m body tape for 3 years, I totally disagree with you. Same with bike racks.

#31 ·
Yeah, there is some really good auto trim tape available. My large E.U. license plate and kind of heavy DRL's have been hung from the top of the lower front opening of my Insight for three or four years using small strips of trim tape. They have withstood hours of 75 mph winds without falling off or even loosening.

#32 ·

This is what you want, it's got a red film you remove to install it. That said, I still think using some sort of hooked metal part in front and suction cups would work perfect.

#34 ·
Real VHB tape will long outlast any Insight. I have some stuck to a desk at work where a shelf unit was placed. The 1/8" steel top of the desk bent before the tape gave way, and that was done via a crowbar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.