New Owner Here! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum
 
Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2017, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: PHX,Arizona
Posts: 76
Default New Owner Here!

Hi everyone,

So i just bought a 2012 EX and its got 52,000mi on it and when i brought it home from the dealer i found a dirty air filter and cabin filter. So basically im bringing it to my standards and have some questions along the way. I cant find it but how often are we supposed to change the cvt filter? I checked it and it was like barley an amber color so i dont know what that means exactly. Also i bought Mobil 1 0w-20 extra efficiency(something like that), is this the best oil or is there something better? Also,my coolant is on the low side so what coolant does our car take?

Thanks Everyone!
KJSTRIPE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-11-2017, 02:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,264
Default

You should only top off the coolant with genuine Honda long life coolant. I think it comes premixed.

You should be aware that Honda used some new piston rings starting in 2012 and many owners have reported excessive oil consumption. Keep a very close eye on the oil level. We have reports of Honda either replacing the rings under a quiet warranty extension or completely refusing to admit there is a problem at all. To obtain anything requires that you have (and pay for) an oil comsumtion test. Basically you have to pay for a dealer oil change. Considering the stakes, do so if you notice any burning oil.

If anything weird happens with electronics, warning lights, etc have the 12 volt battery under the hood load tested. Replace if at all weak.

Oh, about your other questions: there is no schedule on the CVT filter. That said, many do change it along the way. One guy even dropped the pan and replaced in internal one (his write up is a sticky in another thread) it is the best practice to replace the fluid far more often than the MID will call for. Like every 18-20k (every other oil change if going by the MID oil life indicator) I am a firm believer in computer oil life algorithms, but with the rings in your model year, all bets are off. Keep an eye on it and hold Honda's feet to the fire if necessary.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: PHX,Arizona
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
You should only top off the coolant with genuine Honda long life coolant. I think it comes premixed.

You should be aware that Honda used some new piston rings starting in 2012 and many owners have reported excessive oil consumption. Keep a very close eye on the oil level. We have reports of Honda either replacing the rings under a quiet warranty extension or completely refusing to admit there is a problem at all. To obtain anything requires that you have (and pay for) an oil comsumtion test. Basically you have to pay for a dealer oil change. Considering the stakes, do so if you notice any burning oil.

If anything weird happens with electronics, warning lights, etc have the 12 volt battery under the hood load tested. Replace if at all weak.

Oh, about your other questions: there is no schedule on the CVT filter. That said, many do change it along the way. One guy even dropped the pan and replaced in internal one (his write up is a sticky in another thread) it is the best practice to replace the fluid far more often than the MID will call for. Like every 18-20k (every other oil change if going by the MID oil life indicator) I am a firm believer in computer oil life algorithms, but with the rings in your model year, all bets are off. Keep an eye on it and hold Honda's feet to the fire if necessary.
I made the dealer replace the battery when i bought the car.

Im at 52k and the fluid looks okay,im going to change anyways,when should i change the filter? Is there two filters?

Thanks
KJSTRIPE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2017, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Rainsux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 3,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSTRIPE View Post
Im at 52k and the fluid looks okay,im going to change anyways,when should i change the filter? Is there two filters?
Natalya did a very nice write-up starting with Post #3: What did you do to your G2 Insight today?

Sam
__________________
2000 Citrus
Custom Turbocharger System
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: PHX,Arizona
Posts: 76
Default

Im very nervous changing filters and oil in transmissions,heres why: My car i traded in for this was having a transmission problem after i changed the filter and fluid...of course the car was at 175k and most likely never had it changed. Do you think its safe with my insight?

Thanks
KJSTRIPE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Rainsux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 3,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSTRIPE View Post
Im very nervous changing filters and oil in transmissions,heres why: My car i traded in for this was having a transmission problem after i changed the filter and fluid...of course the car was at 175k and most likely never had it changed. Do you think its safe with my insight?

Thanks
"Safe" has nothing to do with it. It's mandatory. There are many threads here on changing CVT fluid. Do some searches and reading. You don't have to change the filters every time, but I'm a firm believer in changing the CVT fluid (use ONLY Honda CVT fluid) every other oil change. If you KNOW that a car has a "weak point" you need to do whatever you can to help it. Same deal for the 12V battery on a G2.

Your car has low enough miles to keep nice. If it were mine I'd change the fluid and filters now so I'd have a baseline. Then I'd go with just fluid for a few changes.

Sam
__________________
2000 Citrus
Custom Turbocharger System
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 11:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: PHX,Arizona
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsux View Post
"Safe" has nothing to do with it. It's mandatory. There are many threads here on changing CVT fluid. Do some searches and reading. You don't have to change the filters every time, but I'm a firm believer in changing the CVT fluid (use ONLY Honda CVT fluid) every other oil change. If you KNOW that a car has a "weak point" you need to do whatever you can to help it. Same deal for the 12V battery on a G2.

Your car has low enough miles to keep nice. If it were mine I'd change the fluid and filters now so I'd have a baseline. Then I'd go with just fluid for a few changes.

Sam
I got the Honda fluid already as i know that's crucial. You answered what i had in question there with if i should change it now or later.

Thanks
KJSTRIPE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2017, 02:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,264
Default

You do not say what you traded in, but a Honda is a different animal when it comes to automatic transmissions. The CVT even more so. Every Honda mechanic has changed the fluid at least every other oil change forever. The engineer who designed the CVT suggests an 18k change interval. That works out to about every other oil change when usin the oil life meter. A Honda trans has a drain plug like an engine and a fill plug at the top as well. Do get a fresh crush washer and torque to 36lbs for the drain and 33 for the fill.

I also suggest you go down to the Modifications and Technical Discussions section and do a little reading. If you enter CVT fluid change into the search there there will be old threads with helpful information, tricks, and tips.

And keep an eye on the engine oil (unless you bought this from a Honda dealer who already changed the rings)
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2017, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: PHX,Arizona
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
You do not say what you traded in, but a Honda is a different animal when it comes to automatic transmissions. The CVT even more so. Every Honda mechanic has changed the fluid at least every other oil change forever. The engineer who designed the CVT suggests an 18k change interval. That works out to about every other oil change when usin the oil life meter. A Honda trans has a drain plug like an engine and a fill plug at the top as well. Do get a fresh crush washer and torque to 36lbs for the drain and 33 for the fill.

I also suggest you go down to the Modifications and Technical Discussions section and do a little reading. If you enter CVT fluid change into the search there there will be old threads with helpful information, tricks, and tips.

And keep an eye on the engine oil (unless you bought this from a Honda dealer who already changed the rings)
Nope,bought it from Chrysler..even if there was a problem im sure Honda would tell me to screw off and that its not there problem. My old car was a audi a6 so that was also part of the issue
KJSTRIPE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2017, 07:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Rainsux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 3,248
Default

It doesn't matter where you bought it. If it's under warranty Honda will cover it. If you DO have the 2012 oil consumption problem you should certainly try to get Honda to cover it.

Sam
__________________
2000 Citrus
Custom Turbocharger System
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:20 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2