2010 insight worth it. - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2017, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2010 insight worth it.

I'm going to a dealer soon to look at some cars and one of the ones I'm interested in is the 2010 insight for $5,995 it's has 127k miles on it and was wondering it if would be worth it to buy I am mainly concerned about how long the battery will last. Also I've heard that the insight burns through oil very fast is that true?

Thank you for your time.
Nvaughn91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome.

That offer sounds reasonable.

The oil consumption issue is limited to 2012 and early 2013 Insights. A 2010 will not lose any oil at all.

Hybrid battery failures are highly uncommon with the second gen Insight, maybe a couple from very hot climates.
Mileage is no concern for the battery; long periods of disuse is.
The OEM 12 Volt battery is a known weak point. Have it replaced when you are in doubt, monitor its voltage anyway. But they are cheap.
I expect a 2010 to be already on its second 12V battery.

Make sure the service history is complete.
Check for CVT fluid changes and the spark plug change. The Insight uses 8 iridium plugs which last very long but are not cheap to replace.

When you do a test drive check whether the transition from low speed to higher speed (around 10 to 15 mph) and vice versa is smooth. a slight bump is common, a stronger jerking or shuddering is not. These often clear up with a proper CVT fluid change - but not always.

At speed check for a high-pitched whine around 60 mph. Mine does that, while most other Insights don't. You would not notice it with the radio on, it is not that hard - but I'd rather not have that anyway.

When hit with side wind at or above 50 mph there can be a burring sound from the top windscreen seam if that is not tight. Should be an easy fix with kit, but again - better to have one where the seam is tight.

Check out the rims and tires.
The Insight is sensitive to tire pressure, especially when it is lower than standard.
Many find handling improves with slightly higher pressure than the door sticker advises.
185 mm width tires on 16 inch rims are noticeably more precise than 175 width 15s which were OEM to 2010 Insights. The ride is more firm, economy nearly the same.

The Insight horn and halogen low beams are not impressive. I replaced them with an Accord (high tone) horn and cheap Chinese HIDs which works out quite well. LED grids in the dome and boot lights are an easy improvement too.

The Insight is a reliable car, good value for money.
Have a look around, do some searching.
Post a picture when you do buy it
RedDevil is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question