ECON Button Question - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default ECON Button Question

Today I did NOT use the Econ button on my way to work and back home again and surprisingly I got better gas mileage somehow, a lot better. With the Econ button engaged I have been getting anywhere between 55 mpg regularly and without the ECON button I got 65 mpg today!!! Almost 10 mpg better without the ECON button. What gives? I will keep testing it over the course of the week but has anyone else tried this? I do about the same 20 mile loop every day.
Brezel Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

for something as small as a 20 mile loop, its tough to compare day to day...and 10mpg can mean a small change over said 20 miles

it could be something like a small temperature increase, slightly less traffic, more luck with a few red lights being green, etc

i would definitely keep testing it over the course of a couple weeks to get better results
Past Vehicles:
'94 Geo Metro, '06 Honda CBR600f4i, '93 Mazda MX-3, '91 Honda Civic
Hopeful Future Vehicles:
Honda CBR250r, Jeep Wrangler
ikhoudvanu199 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Econ Button

I went back to using the Econ Button again today and it dropped back to 55 mpg from 65 mpg. What is going on? I am trying to drive at the exact same speed and the conditions are relatively the same. Maybe the wind speed plays a role?
Old 04-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

yep...wind could do it

or about any of the 563575378 factors that effect mpg

like i said, a test over a few weeks should come up with more accurate results
Past Vehicles:
'94 Geo Metro, '06 Honda CBR600f4i, '93 Mazda MX-3, '91 Honda Civic
Hopeful Future Vehicles:
Honda CBR250r, Jeep Wrangler
ikhoudvanu199 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default ECON Button

yeah, but it seems odd that it would happen so consistently without the ECON button on with or without all the factors is involved. There is still one constant variable and that is the ECON mode. Have you tested it yourself by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikhoudvanu199 View Post
yep...wind could do it

or about any of the 563575378 factors that effect mpg

like i said, a test over a few weeks should come up with more accurate results
Old 04-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Need more data. What kind of driving do you do? Try econ mode off for a full range of gas and then with it on with the second tank.

You may be on to something or it could just be a good tailwind.
jraynor196 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default ECON Button

I think it might have something to do with how we drive individually. Perhaps my driving habits lead to better mileage without the ECON button on for some reason, although I would sure like to know why for goodness sakes. We have not had extreme weather here so the air conditioner/heater has not been used full power and that is what the ECON mode regulates the most I think. Not sure what else the ECON button regulates when engaged.

I have continued to drive without and I am still consistently getting between 55-60, as opposed to the 45-50 range. I will start taking notes and do some trials on a full tank. Has anyone else messed around with this?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brezel Fan View Post
I think it might have something to do with how we drive individually. Perhaps my driving habits lead to better mileage without the ECON button on for some reason, although I would sure like to know why for goodness sakes. We have not had extreme weather here so the air conditioner/heater has not been used full power and that is what the ECON mode regulates the most I think. Not sure what else the ECON button regulates when engaged.

I have continued to drive without and I am still consistently getting between 55-60, as opposed to the 45-50 range. I will start taking notes and do some trials on a full tank. Has anyone else messed around with this?
I've been lurking on the site for awhile. Have read and learned a whole lot, and took a test drive yesterday and plan to order an Insight 2 later today. So I thought today I'd start participating some.

Brezel Fan:
Thanks for all your postings. The mpg numbers are just the reverse of what I'd expect; 45-50 mpg no ECON, but driving style for good mileage, and 55-60mpg with ECON on and driving style for good milaeage. My first thought is to check for green flower in left corner near the rpm gauge. If its on and green you are in ECON mode. ECON does a whole lot, electronicly, to increase gas mileage.

Second thought is that if the better mileage really is with ECON off you probably have the greatest feather foot known to man, and the highest of driving skill in getting the very most out of every drop of gas!

I don't think wind is enough of a factor to have this much of an effect. Although I did hear of someone who never started their engine with the car standing still. He always gave it a push to get it going, before starting the engine ......you know ..bodys in motion tend to stay in motion, bodys at rest....etc. (It takes the most gas to get a car moving...much less to keep it moving.)

-----------------------------------------
'06 Insight 1 54.7 mpg over 45k (incl. hills, cold, and CVT)
'96, '98, '00, '02 Saturn SL1 35.75 mpg avg. over-all
Moviemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here's a question.

Do you use cruise control much during this trip?

I have long suspected that the wild gyrations of the cruise control with ECON on have actually hurt my mileage.
bish79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default ECON Button

I do use cruise control as much as possible, definitely more than I did before I had the Insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bish79 View Post
Here's a question.

Do you use cruise control much during this trip?

I have long suspected that the wild gyrations of the cruise control with ECON on have actually hurt my mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.