Hands Free Link Experience With iPhone - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up Hands Free Link Experience With iPhone

I had never set up a Bluetooth device before and so was a total neophyte to the pairing procedure. It goes exactly according to the instructions until the HFL asks the user to enter the 4 digit code that appears on the MID display.

I was ready to enter the code but the written instructions did not say where or how to enter it. Since the iPhone was still in hunting mode and there was no keypad on the car's LCD touch display, I figured that the four digits were to be a voice command. I tried that. No luck. Then, I realized that the four digits were all 6 or lower so I tried to enter them on the radio preset buttons. No joy.

I fumbled around with this procedure until I had gone through two timeouts. The third time brought a series of four digits that included a numeral 7. I decided to read the manual again and just happened to touch the screen on the iPhone. When I did so, I discovered a keyboard had appeared on the iPhone and was waiting for me to enter the four digits. Bingo.

The problem was that I have the iPhone set up to go dark after just a minute. Meanwhile, the four digit code appeared on the MID display some time before the phone offered its pairing keyboard. Had I waited a little longer and kept the iPhone screen alive it would have been obvious where to enter the four digit code.

In trying the HFL on a couple of real phone calls i discovered the following:

1. The microphone/speaker in the car is very good. I was tending to over enunciate and speak louder than normal. I found that a regular conversational volume and tempo is much better. My wife, the first recipient, told me I was too loud and I adjusted it by just successively by not looking at or tilting my head towards the microphone and talking normally. Voice recognition for dialing commands, etc. is excellent and as I get comfortable with it I would like to turn the Voice Recognition Feedback off so it's faster.

2. I tend to set the iPhone in the left cup holder. This location is not so good because the electronics and metal in the dashboard degrade the phone reception. After dropping a call in an area that is usually good, I moved the iPhone to my right jeans pocket where I would prefer it. Situated there, it worked great. By the way, it is possible to make and receive calls via HFL even if the iPhone is sleeping. No need to touch it in any way.

All in all, I am quite surprised by the ease of use even though I had the HFL setup snafu. Not a problem with the car, but I definitely noticed that enabling Bluetooth on my Gen 1 iPhone really saps battery life. I have yet to try using the iPhone in Bluetooth mode while it is connected to the USB port in the center armrest.

If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them. Any tips are most welcome.

2010 White Insight EX w/Nav | 2003 Element

Last edited by GaryKPDX; 05-02-2009 at 08:00 PM. Reason: clarity
GaryKPDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default iphone

Has anyone tried playing Pandora or other internet radio apps for iphone through the usb stereo?
tvent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, Pandora works great!

Also, if you have MLB at Bat on the iPhone, you can listen to all home and away game broadcasts in the car without having to have XM radio and their baseball channels..pretty sweet!
Old 05-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

It seems like some applications support USB connection and others don't. For example Stitcher, an Internet radio application that uses the same protocols as Pandora and others, is not supported. If you plug your iPhone into the USB port while your application is running you seem to get a quick decision. The iPhone application is either not supported or is supported. If you don't have the application running then you waste time trying to get the application to work and the ones I tried all gave the spinning wagon wheel of Godot or hanged. Pandora deemed like it wanted to work but I have a Gen1 iPhone and Edge is worthless for any streaming so I moved on.

So far, I have also noticed that the touchscreen Audio display does not show Podcasts as a category. However, if you make a Smart Playlist with the filter "Type is Podcast" you may be able to get them to appear on the touchscreen Audio display under "Playlists." I have not confirmed this just yet.

2010 White Insight EX w/Nav | 2003 Element
Old 05-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

i got iheartradio working on mine. just plugged in the iPhone and run the app. easy as pie.
fasteddye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 04:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default waiting for iphone 3.0

handsfree iphone works perfect; pairing, sound quality.

Cause i dont have NAV, import phonebook does not work.

And because iphone does not support bluetooth sending of contacts, I still need to recall contacts thru the iphone touchscreen. So I am desperately waiting for iphone 3.0.

Tried entering phone numbers thru the voice interface, however this takes a lot of patience.

The ipod USB interface also works fine. The sound quality is better than of the Honda civic hybrid.

A Jr. Hypermiler.
4myra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Great feedback. I'll be pairing my BlackBerry 8900 with the Insight soon enough...CAN'T WAIT!!!
'08 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6 - Nighthawk Black Pearl/Black (Bride's Ride)
airgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2009, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just wanted to share that my pairing went flawless. My BlackBerry is working well.

In fact...funny story...as the windows were being tinted, the installer must've had the ignition key "ON" and when I made a call from my BlackBerry (from a room away)...I was confused because I heard NO ringing from my phone and suddenly I heard (what I thought was) "WARNING...WARNING..."

But it was my employee saying "MORNING...MORNING..."

Anyways...it was funny at the time and the installer was trying to figure out what the hell I was doing. Doh!
'08 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6 - Nighthawk Black Pearl/Black (Bride's Ride)
airgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Do I have to get one of those Iphone applications or is that not required? Thanks in advance for answering my question.
SeanOl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

iPhone is a Bluetooth enabled phone and pairing it with any Bluetooth enabled apple iphone accessory is a procedure one need to understand. The pairing requires a code which should be entered same on both devices. After pairing `ll get complete, your iPhone will be Bluetooth supported phone.

However iphone still have some bluetooth connectivity issues, e.r bluetooth reconnection problem is still there for most of the bluetooth heads for iphones
ronnie williams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.