Engine Break-in oil change, myth or reality ? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Engine Break-in oil change, myth or reality ?

Manufacturers do not use "Break-in" oil anyore since a while, yet, the question is still in the air : Should I plan my first oil change earlier or just follow the recommendation from the manufacturer ? If I should plan earlier, what is the target miles ?

Honda recommended me to follow the oil life meter in my I2. I am at 3000 miles and still at 80%. This mean if I follow this meter, the first oil change might be at 15,000 miles... isn't it a bit too long ?

Anyone has a real life theory about this first oil change/Break-in period ?
Purplegate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplegate View Post
Manufacturers do not use "Break-in" oil anyore since a while...
I believe you may be incorrect. I have read several times that Honda does use a special break-in oil, and have never found any information to the contrary. I am eagerly looking forward to changing to Amsoil 0W-20 at my first change.

'09 Civic Hybrid-L w/NAV
Former hybrids: '02 Insight, '07 Camry Hybrid
Former microcars: '57 BMW Isetta, '08 smart
stevenvillatoro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

My dealer insists that Honda tells them it's a break-in oil and that it should not be changed until the Maintenance Minder tells you too for maximum benefits.,
jonniedee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Question

Also can’t the higher mileage for the oil life the I2 compared to a regular ICE Honda be contributed to the amount of time that the engine (valves and fuel injection) are off while the vehicle is moving. It's the act of internal combustion that contaminates oil right?
jonniedee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

You also have to bear in mind that once you change the oil to a synthetic, from a mineral oil then the engine wear will be near to zero, so you need to bed engines in before the oil change otherwise the bedding in process will never fully happen.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Tried to get a service done at 5K dealer service said come back when the display says 15%.
Paid $600 for 30K service on my G1 this week.:0
dewjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default What is this "bedding in" . . . on Insight2 & HCH as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Crier View Post
You also have to bear in mind that once you change the oil to a synthetic, from a mineral oil then the engine wear will be near to zero, so you need to bed engines in before the oil change otherwise the bedding in process will never fully happen.
I'm not too familiar with this, but can you explain. It may help several of us here.

My oil screen still says 70% so I don't have to go to the dealer yet. Also, should I tell the dealer what kind of oil to put or will they automatically know this?

I used to go to the Texaco Xpress lube, but I'm afraid they can't work on hybrids cause my salesman said something about they have to be certified.
jrlnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplegate View Post
Manufacturers do not use "Break-in" oil anyore since a while, yet, the question is still in the air : Should I plan my first oil change earlier or just follow the recommendation from the manufacturer ? If I should plan earlier, what is the target miles ?

Honda recommended me to follow the oil life meter in my I2. I am at 3000 miles and still at 80%. This mean if I follow this meter, the first oil change might be at 15,000 miles... isn't it a bit too long ?

Anyone has a real life theory about this first oil change/Break-in period ?
I am in the same percentile as you mileage wise/oil life remaining.

I have a little sticker that say wait to 15% oil life on my windshield that the dealer put on.

Right now it is at 70% with 3500 miles, so the oil life is probably not linear.
jraynor196 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlnc View Post
Also, should I tell the dealer what kind of oil to put or will they automatically know this?
I never assume anything about dealer knowledge or practice. My former Toyota Camry Hybrid required 0W-20 or 5W-20 oil, but my local dealer did not stock either of those weights! Their hybrid-trained manager stated to me that the heavier weight oils that they used for all Toyotas were fine for hybrids, too, and would not affect warranty, performance, or fuel economy. He was wrong on all counts, of course. He and I had a heated battle that escalated to the top of the Toyota ladder, where he finally learned a thing or two. After sharing my eye-opening experience online, I found that many other forum users reported that their Toyota dealers were equally ignorant about oil viscosities and the manufacturer requirements. So, not trusting the original dealer who gave me wrong information on the oil change, I took my car to another Toyota dealer along with my own oil. Wouldn't you know... the second dealer wrote on the ticket that I brought my own oil, but the mechanic somehow ignored the ticket and ended up using an unspecified weight of dealer-supplied oil anyway. I had to have them re-do the oil change while I watched. Keep an eye on your dealer, and don't assume they know what they're talking about regarding oil changes.

'09 Civic Hybrid-L w/NAV
Former hybrids: '02 Insight, '07 Camry Hybrid
Former microcars: '57 BMW Isetta, '08 smart
stevenvillatoro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Crier View Post

IMHO, This is not born out by any real world testing. Whether you choose to believe it or not "oil" is "oil” Most "dino" oils are blends anyway and the only advantage synthetic have is high temp stability, OK if you routinely run oil temps above 300 F. The real "work" in oil is done by the additive packages. It is far better to change your oil regularly (twice as often as recommended) than to run "Magic" oil for 7500 or more miles. (The recommended oil change intervals ar a part of certifying the vehicles total impact on the environment and have nothing to do with getting the longest possible life out of the engine).
Hitech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.