Honda Civic hybrids get mpg cut in half after recall reprogramming. - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Honda Civic hybrids get mpg cut in half after recall reprogramming.

Clark Howard mentioned Honda Civic hybrid has a problem with mpg falling substantially after recall reprogramming. Anyone know more about this as Clark sometimes is an alarmist over nothing and misses completely the alarm of our country being spent into oblivion.

Since there's no Civic Hybrid site I used the Insight one as I doubt i'm the only one with both hybrids and info is scarce.
Sirry but I couldn't delete the 'insight' word from title.
And you should get to know Howard; he has a lot of excellent financial stuff to file for reference.

Last edited by Cobb; 08-22-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Per Request
mahout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

You are not doing much good too putting "Insight" on the title when no batteries issues have been reported with the Insight!

Don't really know this Clark Howard (just seen his site after searching with Google), but I suppose he's referring to the Civic, right?
Anyway, it should be noted that it will probably take some times to verify this claims, because there are also users that haven't noted any changes, some that have seen better milieage, and so on.

Last edited by Mark0; 08-19-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Mark0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Seems to be just 06-08 years of civic hybrid that's affected. Problem being that the computer lets the battery pack discharge too deep and they degrade faster than the 10 year warranty.

2010 Insight hardly ever lets you discharge so much, it puts you in forced regen all the time
carniver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Probably would be a great idea to change the title of this thead.
Mark0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0 View Post
Probably would be a great idea to change the title of this thead.
I tried but it wouldn't let me. My problem was I only half-heard his item thanks to background noise and old age deafness.
mahout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just found out who Clark Howard is and read what he wrote. His article twists the facts quite a bit. Read the LA Times article and you'll get closer or read the thread on Edmunds and you'll find the truth. The latest update (not a recall) seems to be improving failing batteries and improving mileage in hot climates. Earlier updates had reduced MPG significantly. Those that are seeing "10 mpg" drops are being denied assist when their batteries are empty. These are people whose cars were recal-ing constantly. Under the new software, some of them have improved to the point that they no longer recal and are running strong. The people would not have gotten a new battery anyway because they had no IMA light yet. Now they may not get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahout View Post
Clark Howard mentioned Honda Civic hybrid has a problem with mpg falling substantially after recall reprogramming. Anyone know more about this as Clark sometimes is an alarmist over nothing and misses completely the alarm of our country being spent into oblivion.

Since there's no Civic Hybrid site I used the Insight one as I doubt i'm the only one with both hybrids and info is scarce.
Sirry but I couldn't delete the 'insight' word from title.
And you should get to know Howard; he has a lot of excellent financial stuff to file for reference.
2000 MT #4227 175K miles - Citrus Yellow, BetterBattery
Hybrid-Battery-Repair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've got both and had the update applied to my 2006 HCH II on the 9th. It was recal'ing often (1 or 2x per day) and was proving to be a challenge on daily drives into the city.

With the update the car doesn't completely crash as often, but the SoC sill seems to wildly vary at times from 3 to 8 bars and back again in less than 5 miles, other times it may take 15 miles to recharge 2 bars, or I've turned that car off to run in to a store and returned 5 minutes later to mysteriously gain 5 bars that don't diminish for the the rest of the 15 miles home.
So far I'm not impressed, and I'm hoping the smaller packs and better ventilation setups of the I2 will avoid the issues my 4.5 yr old Civic is developing.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default If You'd Like to Dump Yur Cvic

I was at the Honda dealer getting an oil change and reading brochures on Friday. The 2010 Cvic - Hybird brochure was boasting the same technologies as in the Insight ...tech which has been working great so far.

The govt. mpg booklet, for all cars, showed the 2010 Insight at 40 mpg city and 43 hwy, and the 2010 Civic Hybird at 40 mpg city and 45 hwy! (..My experience though was 48-50 mpg hwy, till I increased tire pressures to 40 psi, then mpg increased to 52-53 mpg hwy.)
Old 08-23-2010, 11:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

I am more of a Dave Ramsey fan myself. Ill remember not to rush out to get my computer updated if one is offered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.