Maintenance intervals? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Maintenance intervals?

Does any one have a schedule of the maintenance codes? I am getting ready for my first maintenance which is on the house from the dealer so I assume the maintenance minder would show an "A" or possibly an "A,B"

I am setting up a vehicle maintenance sheet in Excel and need to know what the intervals are so I can plan for what items are needed for service. I checked the owners manual and it gives a list of what to do for each item but not the schedule that the items are needed at. I also checked with Honda Owner Link and got the same info as the manual.

Just as a reminder here is the list of maintenance items(thanks Zurk!)

Main item A

- Replace engine oil*

Main item B

- Replace engine oil* and filter.
- Service front and rear brakes
- Check parking brake adjustments.
- Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
- Inspect suspension components
- Inspect driveshaft boots
- Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS/VSA)
- Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids
- Inspect exhaust system
- Inspect fuel lines and connections

Sub-Item 1

- Rotate tires**, inspect for wear and adjust pressure.

Sub-Item 2

- Replace air cleaner element. If you drive in dusty conditions, replace every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
- Replace dust and pollen filter. If you drive primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and from diesel-powered vehicles, replace every 24,000 km.
- Inspect and adjust drive belt.

Sub-Item 3

- Replace transmission fluid

Sub-Item 4

- Replace spark plugs
- Inspect valve clearance

Sub-Item 5

- Replace engine coolant

Every 24,000 Km

- Replace air cleaner element if vehicle is regularly driven in dusty conditions.

Every 24,000 Km

- Replace dust and pollen filter if vehicle is regularly driven in urban areas with high concentrations of emissions from industry and diesel-powered vehicles.

100,000 Km

- Replace automatic transmission fluid and then every 48,000 km thereafter if vehicle is regularly driven in mountainous areas at very low speeds. Use only Genuine Honda Continuously Variable Transmission Fluid (CVTF).

Every 256,000 Km

- Inspect idle speed

Every 3 years

- Replace brake fluid. Use only Genuine Honda Heavy Duty Brake Fluid DOT 3

Legal Text

* Use only Genuine Honda 0W-20 motor oil
** Tires may require more frequent rotation depending on road condition, alignment and driving habits
Gatorade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

I found it! It was here on Insightcentral.net, I just had to look a little deeper.

I also got the Excel sheet finalized. I set mine with the 7,500 interval for oil changes but that can be adjusted as I still have 20% oil life with 8900 miles on it. Like I said it is not so much to follow along with the milage as it is to know what items are coming up at the next maintence. I am going to try to attach it to this post as a zip. Any feedback would be appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Insight Service Interval.zip (11.9 KB, 181 views)
Old 04-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

wow, if i'm reading that spread sheet right, sub item 3 for the transmission fluid is not due till 90k miles. is that right? or a flaw in the sheet?

Old 04-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

According to: InsightCentral.net - Honda Insight Maintenance Information

Normal conditions: 90,000 mi / 144,000 km / 6 years
Severe conditions: 30,000 mi / 48,000 km / 2 years

I am hoping that the maintenance minder notes individual driving conditions. If it is like our 2003 Pilot it will still have the same combination of what to do but just at the interval that the car needs it at. Like I said I am at 8900 miles and have 20% oil life so I would probably get my first oil change between 10,000 and 11,000 so I am not too worried about sticking with the mileage number but am going to let the minder tell me when to do what. I just created the sheet to give a little heads up as to what kind of stuff to buy when the lights are lit.

Last edited by Gatorade; 04-10-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

this info seems to geared toward the gen 1 insight.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Thats a good guide, but i would recommend changing engine oil and cvt fluid the first oil change. Then change the cvt every other oil change and filter at 30k miles. Id rotate the tires every 5 k miles and check the filters spring and fall for air.
Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for picking that up Roger. I was dialed in while making the sheet but didn't even notice that was for the I1. Well now I1 owners have a great sheet! I will continue to try to find the correct information for the I2.

I was thinking that the newer cars were getting closer to 10,000 miles between oil changes and the 7,500 listed was a bit low but like I said my mind was a little bit mush from creating the sheet.

So the search is back on for I2 maintenance intervals! Anyone with links would be a great help!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Transmission fluid should be changed every 20km or 12,500mi per Tsuyoshi Ohkubo, Insight Chief Engineer according to this article.

I'm assuming that is for "severe condition driving," as I cannot see it being any lower (could be wrong.) Either way, if it's leased you may want to stick to the book, if you're buying it to keep you may want to consider what Ohkubo suggests doing.
Zwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question