Considering purchasing 2010 Insight EX w/ 92k - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Considering purchasing 2010 Insight EX w/ 92k

I've got a friend who is looking to sell his 2010 insight with 92k. mileage is almost entirely highway, as he commutes nearly 2 hours between St Augustine and Deland as a professor. Car is immaculate and he has taken the vehicle in regularly for service with no major issues. Price is very reasonable considering the the condition and features (10k). I guess first question is, has anyone here taken a 2nd generation over 100k? and are there any known issues? Have 2 other cars, and this veh more than likely won't see over 10k per year.
MDuf53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

I am a newby to the Insight but with Honda's reputataion for quality, I would not be afraid of it.
t walgamuth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Assuming the price reflects the mileage, it could be an excellent buy. The hybrids that are most likely to have problems are ones that have sat doing nothing for weeks on end.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
Assuming the price reflects the mileage, it could be an excellent buy. The hybrids that are most likely to have problems are ones that have sat doing nothing for weeks on end.
Which is a good reason for you in particular to not get this Insight. Unless you will drive it, it may suffer from being left unused for long periods. I know that I have a cordless drill & flashlight combo that I have used continuously for years and still charges and has plenty of torque. But I have other rechargeable items that don't get used and either won't charge or, if they do, have little life when used. (I realize this isn't the best example of hybrid tech) But it has been reported here that leaving these things sitting around for weeks at a time is not good.

All that said, I do hope you or someone who does buy this high mileage Insight will report regularly about it's issues. Our Insight is going to see about 25k @ year and I'm interested in how this one pans out.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Which facility has been maintaining the vehicle? I believe there is a Coggin Honda store in St. Augustine, but I could be mistaken. If this was a car that I was giving consideration to purchasing, I'd be most interested in seeing all of the maintenance logs. Coggin (and we have one here in Jacksonville) has been trying to do a much better job of customer satisfaction than they have in the past. If you can figure out where the car has been maintained, I think I'd go and ask them to pull all of the records... also, consider taking the car to another dealer to have a proper inspection done.

Last edited by dieselnine; 04-22-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling error
dieselnine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

10K sounds like a very good price. The ICE should go to at least 250-300k. The CVT should go at least 200k. Worst case scenario, if the IMA battery craps out at say 150-175k, it will only cost 2k to replace.( using a better battery)

Ask him if he had a brake Job and what kind of tires he's running.
2010 EX with Zenex 35W HID Ballasts with Retrofit Source 4,300K Bulbs; with relay harness. Honda Splash Guards. Honda Vent Visors. Honda Rear Bumper Applique. Honda All Weather Floor Mats and Cargo Tray. Honda Leather Steering Wheel Cover. Yokohama Avid Touring S 195 60 15 Tires. Insulated doors for road noise with Quick Roof. kjanracings window rattle fix. Honda Accord Low Horn Upgrade.
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.