Rear Windshield Spontaneous Disintegration. Anyone else? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rear Windshield Spontaneous Disintegration. Anyone else?

My neighbor borrowed my Insight and upon closing the trunk the rear windshield glass completely shattered. She is the goodest-yogi-vegeterian person on the universe so I have no doubt that she did not do anything wrong and that this was a fabrication defect on the glass that caused it to break when closing the trunk.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is this prevalent pathology?

Can anyone estimate the cost of the repair? Suggestions for a service? It's a 2010 with Navi in the Bay Area (94040).

Is there any chance to make a claim against Honda to get this repaired/paid for? Any advice on how to proceed?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by kupy; 04-22-2012 at 11:46 PM.
kupy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Too many questions left unanswered. Year, miles, location, etc.

Fill in the blanks and maybe someone will respond.

insigh is properly spelled INSIGHT.

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 343K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Good God-Fearing people are sometimes the slimiest, back-stabbing POS's that would make you want to hang out with the local occultist faction.

Sounds like she slammed the thing, IMO. Not what you want to hear, I understand that.

Never heard of anyone on here complain about spontaneously-disintegrating rear windshields.

EDIT: Hang on a second. There WAS one person here who had to have their rear windshield replaced. They said the glass looked distorted when you tried to look through it. But, it didn't bust or anything like that.

Last edited by Zwolfe; 04-23-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Zwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Definitely haven't heard of that happening to anyone else. You can always try contacting Honda (Customer Service - the Official Honda Web Site). I imagine it's going to be an uphill battle, though...best of luck.

Out of curiosity, what shattered? The rear windshield (part that has the wiper on it), or the smaller, more vertical rear panel? I try to be pretty gentle with my doors and hatch, but other people (and myself, from time to time) occasionally close things a little forcefully, and I've never had a problem.
RahTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've had a side window shatter for no apparent reason while driving along. There's a whole Wiki page on this: Spontaneous glass breakage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I doubt it was your friend's fault. I would go to your insurance company, glass breakage should be covered under your comprehensive with no deductible.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Same here, had the front passenger side window on my Prius shatter while driving down the freeway for no apparent reason? Do you have glass coverage on your car? I do and they replace any broken glass for no cost other then the $1-2 dollars it cost on my policy a month.
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for confirming that it does happen. I'm talking to Honda America tomorrow and crossing my fingers.

I have a high deductible insurance so I have to pay out of pocket for this; it works out in the long run but it stings when things like this happen.
kupy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

There is no deductible on glass breakage in my state, check with your Insurance company, there may be no deductible on glass.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default rear glass replaced

I had to replace my rear window when according to the police it looked like it had been shot with a BB. I had come home at night from a concert, it had been raining so I never heard anything. When I got up in the morning it looked like there was frost on the back window. But it was just a shattered window. The officer said it probably shattered when I had shut the door the previous night after it had been hit with the BB. Luckily I have $0 deductible on glass replacement. The bill from the glass co. was $701.00. Good luck with your case!
postpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

I figure the shop jacked up the bill for the insurance company around 150-200 bucks. So paying for it yourself, you're looking at $500-550.
2010 EX with Zenex 35W HID Ballasts with Retrofit Source 4,300K Bulbs; with relay harness. Honda Splash Guards. Honda Vent Visors. Honda Rear Bumper Applique. Honda All Weather Floor Mats and Cargo Tray. Honda Leather Steering Wheel Cover. Yokohama Avid Touring S 195 60 15 Tires. Insulated doors for road noise with Quick Roof. kjanracings window rattle fix. Honda Accord Low Horn Upgrade.
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
rear windshield shattered

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.