fuel bar indicator - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default fuel bar indicator

does anyone know how many gallons each bar on the 2012 Honda Insight corresponds to? According to Honda, the 2nd gen Insight (2010-2102) has a 10.6 gallon tank. I counted each bar on the fuel gage and it's about 25 bars (I think). The reason I ask is the MID on my Insight (2012 EX), says I'm getting 49.1 mpg. I bought it new last Saturday 4/28 and I've driven 224 miles so far. The fuel indicator is almost at the half range. If my calculations are correct, I should divide 224 miles by 5.3 (half of 10.6) to get an mpg of 42.2. But how come my MID says 49.1?
manos100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have a 2012 Insight with about 12K on it now, and although I haven't tried to compare the fuel indicator level to mileage (I don't think that can be done with much accuracy), my MID MPG was about the same as yours for the first tank. I have since gotten as high as 57.4 MPG on the MID for a single tank - about 8.5 gallons to fill up, and when I have compared the MID to an actual miles/gallons it was within .2 to .4 MPG, both low and high. My MID is reasonably accurate, and I have continued to get beter mileage the longer I have had the car. I thought I knew how to drive a hybrid for mileage, as I also have a Gen1 Insight, which consistently has gotten great mileage (also the reason I bought a 2012), but was put off by the lower figures I initially was seeing when I had only had the 2012 a short time. I have to think that break in and adjusting to a much different car have had something to do with it. Incidentally, my salesman at the Honda dealership drives a 2010 Insight and claims he has never gotten more than 47 MPG! (almost made me get a Prius, but then I checked with some other Gen2 owners who got much better MPG)
Old 05-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manos100 View Post
I bought it new last Saturday 4/28 and I've driven 224 miles so far. The fuel indicator is almost at the half range. If my calculations are correct, I should divide 224 miles by 5.3 (half of 10.6) to get an mpg of 42.2. But how come my MID says 49.1?
I don't know about the Insight (yet, but very soon) but most vehicles I've owned have fuel level indicators (guages, bars, etc.) that are far from linear. Much of that has to do with the shape of the tank and how far the level float gets buried into the fuel when full. It takes a while for the level to drop down to where the float is actually floating before it can start to indicate anything but a full tank. As such the first part of the tank always seems to last longer than the last portion.

I would also suspect that your mpg varies a bit based on the fuel load being carried.
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can run the gas gauge down close to empty and you'll get a yellow "low fuel" warning light, you can then switch the MID to"Range" and drive to the point it just switches to zero, pull into a gas station and filler up. It'll take 9.3 gal. Not too bad for a 10.6 gal tank!

The MID mpg gauge was pretty accurate when I first got the car. But as it got older it's mpg improved. Also as I changed my driving style to do max ev mode and good battery management, the mpg and the MID optimistic error got higher and higher.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yep - in metric terms the Insight supposedly has a 40 litre tank. I've run past 0 miles range on 2 or 3 occasions now and the most I've ever managed to squeeze in was about 35 litres.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default @ manos100

I get 65-70mpg per trip depending on traffic and about 22-25 miles per bar on the fuel display. You'll probably get the same depending on your mpg per trip.
kosmoscanyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 03:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
Yep - in metric terms the Insight supposedly has a 40 litre tank. I've run past 0 miles range on 2 or 3 occasions now and the most I've ever managed to squeeze in was about 35 litres.
I have reached the 0 km range in many occasions and i still had 5 litres of fuel inside the tank, another 60-80 km at least.
When the red low-fuel light appears you have another 6 litres of fuel.
Ehetleos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehetleos View Post
I have reached the 0 km range in many occasions and i still had 5 litres of fuel inside the tank, another 60-80 km at least.
When the red low-fuel light appears you have another 6 litres of fuel.
Thanks I did not know of this. I've been close with one bar left several times. But never knew how much was really left.
kosmoscanyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I don't know about the Insight (yet, but very soon) but most vehicles I've owned have fuel level indicators (guages, bars, etc.) that are far from linear. Much of that has to do with the shape of the tank and how far the level float gets buried into the fuel when full. It takes a while for the level to drop down to where the float is actually floating before it can start to indicate anything but a full tank. As such the first part of the tank always seems to last longer than the last portion.
While that's true, the gauge could have easily been calibrated to compensate for that before the car went into production. The urban legend is that this is not done with cars because then people constantly see the gas gauge dropping and complain about their car being a gas hog.
bomber991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.