HCH III Hypermiling MPG vs Insight II. 60 vs. 73 MPG - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default HCH III Hypermiling MPG vs Insight II. 60 vs. 73 MPG

Since the weather has been warming up, I decided to pair up my 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid III vs. my mom's 2010 Insight II on the same set of roads.

I did both today when the temperature was 85 degrees here in Cleveland, OH.

In a 8 mile loop on a 3/4 full battery in mom's insight, I managed to get 59.6 MPG. This loop included lots of stop and go traffic and slight downhill inclines.

The same 8 mile loop in my Civic got an amazing number: 72.4 MPG!!! My Civic's battery was on about the same amount of full battery.

The Civic only has 750 miles while the Insight has 46K miles on it. I can't imagine the Civic's mileage when it hits about 5-6K miles.

The Civic slipped into EV mode A LOT in this loop, something the Insight doesn't have.

I wish I would figure how to add pictures on this site but I don't log on as often as I like..

Thought id like to add that. both these cars just sip fuel!
InsightFTW10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting. I wonder how much of that is from the lifepo4 battery vs programming, aero, drivetrain, etc?

What I do is post a video to you tube, then post a link here.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app
Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm betting if you installed a PHEV kit in your HCH, you'd get triple digits.
2010 EX with Zenex 35W HID Ballasts with Retrofit Source 4,300K Bulbs; with relay harness. Honda Splash Guards. Honda Vent Visors. Honda Rear Bumper Applique. Honda All Weather Floor Mats and Cargo Tray. Honda Leather Steering Wheel Cover. Yokohama Avid Touring S 195 60 15 Tires. Insulated doors for road noise with Quick Roof. kjanracings window rattle fix. Honda Accord Low Horn Upgrade.
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsightFTW10 View Post
The Civic slipped into EV mode A LOT in this loop, something the Insight doesn't have.
Erm... My Insight has EV mode. It kicks in most in the 20-40mph range (ish) but can occur up to around 60mph on a downhill. It can be induced by taking the foot off the gas and then gently reapplying pressure. On the flat or with a slight downhill it can be sustained for a significant distance.

I was keeping an eye the battery status on the MID this morning's commute and I even had EV mode on a roughly 150 metre uphill stretch under gentle deceleration.

Might be worth getting the 12v and IMA batteries checked on that Insight.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
Erm... My Insight has EV mode. It kicks in most in the 20-40mph range (ish) but can occur up to around 60mph on a downhill. It can be induced by taking the foot off the gas and then gently reapplying pressure. On the flat or with a slight downhill it can be sustained for a significant distance.

I was keeping an eye the battery status on the MID this morning's commute and I even had EV mode on a roughly 150 metre uphill stretch under gentle deceleration.

Might be worth getting the 12v and IMA batteries checked on that Insight.
The Insight cannot have EV mode under acceleration and only has EV if your cruising flat at low speeds or downhill/coasting.

The Honda Civic Hybrid can have pure EV mode whether accelerating or cruising anywhere from 10-43 MPH and the battery in the HCH is larger.

Only downside in the civic is the puny trunk and non-foldable seats but thats not a concern of mine.

Average mileage has been 49 MPG for the first 680ish miles on the car. That included A LOT of driving in temperatures below 50 degrees and driving only 3 miles at a time
Old 05-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Honda needs to make a hatchback version of the Civic.
2010 EX with Zenex 35W HID Ballasts with Retrofit Source 4,300K Bulbs; with relay harness. Honda Splash Guards. Honda Vent Visors. Honda Rear Bumper Applique. Honda All Weather Floor Mats and Cargo Tray. Honda Leather Steering Wheel Cover. Yokohama Avid Touring S 195 60 15 Tires. Insulated doors for road noise with Quick Roof. kjanracings window rattle fix. Honda Accord Low Horn Upgrade.
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Why does the fill on the battery matter?
Trust2400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

From what I can tell it looks like 83mpg is as good as a phev kit will give you on the insight using cruse control at 55mph top speed. Enginer advertises a 15mpg boost or 65mpg under average driving conditions.

It depends on how he drives the civic on what a phev kit will give him. If he can abuse ev mode like with the insight then he could see 80, 90 even 100mpg. I just broke 100 on a stretch of road on my way to work and 81 on my way home.

Wonder what the door sticker says the battery voltage is?

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app
Old 05-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

You said the "test run" included a lot of stop and go traffic. Did you encounter an identical amount of stop and go with both test? Also, what tire pressure were you running in both cars?

I have just under 3k miles on my 12' insight ex and my average, on fuelly.com, is 50mpg. I have been getting gas from the same gas station since day 1. After the pump stops, i pump it until it stops 3 more times.

My current tank of gas is the first tank from a different gas station and i am currently reading 57.5mpg on the display in the car. I changed it up to see if i could get better MPG's. BTW, i am almost half way through this tank and right at 270 miles.

44psi in all 4.

My Fuelly.com page: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/biggdave92/insight
biggdave92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggdave92 View Post
You said the "test run" included a lot of stop and go traffic. Did you encounter an identical amount of stop and go with both test? Also, what tire pressure were you running in both cars?

I have just under 3k miles on my 12' insight ex and my average, on fuelly.com, is 50mpg. I have been getting gas from the same gas station since day 1. After the pump stops, i pump it until it stops 3 more times.

My current tank of gas is the first tank from a different gas station and i am currently reading 57.5mpg on the display in the car. I changed it up to see if i could get better MPG's. BTW, i am almost half way through this tank and right at 270 miles.

44psi in all 4.
Good question on the stop and go traffic... They were very similar traffic but I think the civic had maybe a little more stop's... not too sure

PSI on the Insight was 36 PSI at all tires and the Civic was at 39 PSI.

Well the HCH isn't broken in yet so wait till 5,000 miles I expect the MPG to keep climbing from there on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.