Working 2010 Insight HARD - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Working 2010 Insight HARD

Hey guys. So I have a 2010 Honda Insight LX with 58k on it. I maintain all the usual things such as brakes, fluid fluid levels, so on. I put 60 mi/day on it, 7 days a week carrying around 430 lbs 6 days a week, and 650-750 lbs on Saturdays as a newspaper carrier. I frequently ask as much of the engine as it will give and overheat my brakes starting and stopping some 600 odd times. Question is, how long should I expect this vehicle to last treating it in this way?

-Tim
tgrable0327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

I had an old 1980 Toyota Corrola, did the same thing with it. Even took out the front passenger seat and put a board in to make a flat surface to roll the stacks of paper off of. That car was over 15 years old at the time in the mid 100K range and I did that for 3 years with no issues. As long as you keep up on the basic fluid checks and servicing you should be fine. Might want to change your CVT fluid a little more often since you are doing more start/stop driving and working the tranny pretty hard.

Wow, never would have thought of using an Insight to throw papers from but it kind of makes sense because it still gets better milage than any other car out there just about.
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

I haven't been an insight owner for too long, but I think what's going to end up being the weakness in terms of longevity will be the transmission. The transmission is the pulley style CVT isn't it?

The IMA battery is going to get low and need replacing one of these days, but that's something that's 10 years down the line, and even then it looks to be a <$2k repair.
bomber991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

@ Bomber991

You live in TX where it gets pretty hot, I'm guessing you won't get 10 years out of your battery but I'm basing that on my 1st generation IMA system in my 2000 Insight. You have the 5th generation IMA if you have a new Insight so not sure about how much more reliable they have made the batteries in that system? The heat is really hard on the batteries in all hybrid cars, and the Li batteries in the new all electric cars are even more affected by the heat.

On the CVT yes it is two pulleys with a steal band type belt between them, here is a picture of what it basically looks like.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=bvLh7z.u/Fv

Last edited by gilbertguy; 09-27-2012 at 11:05 PM.
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertguy View Post
@ Bomber991

You live in TX where it gets pretty hot, I'm guessing you won't get 10 years out of your battery but I'm basing that on my 1st generation IMA system in my 2000 Insight. You have the 5th generation IMA if you have a new Insight so not sure about how much more reliable they have made the batteries in that system? The heat is really hard on the batteries in all hybrid cars, and the Li batteries in the new all electric cars are even more affected by the heat.

On the CVT yes it is two pulleys with a steal band type belt between them, here is a picture of what it basically looks like.
Image Detail for - Continuously Variable Transmissions (CVT) Gear Ratios
Ah, well the weakness with the CVT will be that steel band then and that shouldn't break anytime soon.

I know in my subaru with the dark interior even on the hottest of the hot days it doesn't get over 120 degrees on the inside. That's parked directly in the sun with all the sun shining in right through the windscreen.

I know those IMA batteries will heat up when they are in use, but ambient temperature wise it won't get over 120F.
bomber991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

When you drive the insight hard it self limits. For example you will notice less and less assist and only a mild regen once that system becomes too warm. You will notice the engine will take less of a load and run higher rpms when driving. The brakes will smell nice and sulfurie unless you upgrade them.

If you are serious on using this as a delivery vehicle Id suggest running synthentic fluid for the engine and cvt and adding a cvt cooler. Lastly a bigger 12 volt battery. When the IMA system gets too hot the dc to dc converter that procides 12 volt charge will turn off and on as it approaches a high point. THis is signaled by a flashing battery symbol on the dash. When the cvt has a problem the D on the dash in the gear selector will flash.

Ive delivered papers and its hard on any vehicle. Id suggest gettinga geo metro. Depending on your margins as a delivery person it may make mor econimical sense to rent or lease a vehicle.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

IMO the insight is too new and expensive of a vehicle to be beating down on it for deliveries at least at the rate they pay around here. I would buy a beater old import for doing this.
shade_tree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

It's a heavy vehicle for the small power train to deal with.

My back pocket is full of jobs incase I find I am in need of one and I am considering a long distance courier where I would drive 300 miles or so vs mail box to mail box.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app
Old 11-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

I used to have one of those! My first car (1995 with 61k) doing papers. Had the suspension tear out and I welded it back together twice before giving up on it for $300 and a handshake from a guy who fixes and sells them out of his garage.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

(1995 Geo Metro Hatchback) but a Geo would be too tiny for the amount of papers I carry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.