Buy a 2010 EX w/low miles or spring for a 2012? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buy a 2010 EX w/low miles or spring for a 2012?

Hi All,

I've been slightly obsessed with the Insight for a few months now and have been lurking on this website soaking up tons of info (so thank you!!). I have test driven numerous 2012 and 2010s at various dealerships. I've also test driven the Prius C, the Prius Two and the Ford Fiesta. The insight is still my favorite due to the lower price for what you get, the fact that I love Hondas (I have a 2005 Civic), and I also like how they look. The Prius C felt cheap, the Ford Fiesta was neat but with all the features was just as expensive as a Prius C and isn't a Hybrid (doesn't get very high mileage, either), and the Prius Two, though an awesome car is just too damn expensive.

Here's my question for all the experts out there:
I am seeing 2010 Insights - EX and LX that are going for between 15-18k at dealerships nearby (SF Bay Area). Though I really like the idea of getting a new to me car for well under $20k, with all of the improvements that were made in the 2012 (Bluetooth standard in EX, more leg/head room in the rear, etc.) I would love to hear what folks thoughts are on pre-owned vs. brand new. I have my eye on a Certified 2010 EX without Navigation and with only 7,500 miles on it that is priced at $17,500... which seems like a steal... but if the upgrades in the 2012 are worth it, I'm willing to wait a few months til those prices drop a bit and get that model year instead.

A couple other rando questions for the experts out there:
If I buy a Certified Honda with an existing factory warranty and the Certified warranty, and put my own stereo with Bluetooth in - does the warranty void?

If I buy from a dealership that has great prices, but that has crummy reviews online re: service - can I take my Honda to another dealer for service and receive the same treatment as if I bought my car there?

Thanks to all in advance - I eagerly await your advice.
sbrown1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

The newer ones get slightly better mpg, better ima and cvt management and comes with steering wheel controls for the radio and Bluetooth.

No putting in an aftermarket radio won't void warranty.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app
Old 10-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is what I was wondering about, as well. Last week I fell for the 2012 at my local dealer (Mach Auto Paris) since it came in the color I wanted which is white and for the extra mpg I thought I might regret it later if I went for an earlier model. My other car is a 1991 Civic so any Insight would have been a huge improvement from that! But I went for the 2012 (semi-leather seats, wheel shift paddles I may never use, automatic lights and wipers, actual fog lights...) and it's the only one I've tested.

Pricing was not an issue because I had been saving for quite a while now. I'm at 19.6K Euros (25.3K USD) with the Insight while I could have gotten a 2011 with high mileage for 12K (15.5K USD). France is stupid with car taxes.

I am to pick it up next Tuesday and the wait is killing me

Last edited by Diana; 10-25-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can have your Honda serviced (and get warranty work) at any Honda dealer. We have a favorite dealer and have never bought from them. (we use a buying service like the one at Costco, although ours was through our Credit Union) I did go back to the selling dealer for the free first oil change this time, but only because they owed me floor mats.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
This is what I was wondering about, as well. Last week I fell for the 2012 at my local dealer (Mach Auto Paris) since it came in the color I wanted which is white and for the extra mpg I thought I might regret it later if I went for an earlier model. My other car is a 1991 Civic so any Insight would have been a huge improvement from that! But I went for the 2012 (semi-leather seats, wheel shift paddles I may never use, automatic lights and wipers, actual fog lights...) and it's the only one I've tested.

Pricing was not an issue because I had been saving for quite a while now. I'm at 19.6K Euros (25.3K USD) with the Insight while I could have gotten a 2011 with high mileage for 12K (15.5K USD). France is stupid with car taxes.

I am to pick it up next Tuesday and the wait is killing me
Wow - it would seem that the brand new Insight is more expensive in Paris, but the 2011 sounds like it was a great deal -- considering there are VERY few 2011s even on the market out here and those I've seen are in the $20k range. Congrats on your purchase... hopefully I'll be able to post about my own purchase soon. I've decided the additional head/leg room in the 2012 is worth it to me and will to wait and see if any used 2012s come on the market before I buy a low mileage 2010 model.

Thanks all for the replies re: the aftermarket accessories and using other dealers for service. That's a relief because most dealerships around here creep me out and the one I like hasn't had an insight for sale in 3 months!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrown1977 View Post
Wow - it would seem that the brand new Insight is more expensive in Paris,
Wait till you hear the prices in the Netherlands...

I got my brand new 2012 Insight two weeks ago. It's the Exclusive version in bronze metalllic. Don't know how it compares to EX or LX. It's got paddles, park distance control, rear view camera, auto wipers, auto lights, 16" alloy wheels, etc. The base price is EUR 24.290 (=USD 31.353). Additionally, I got Honda SD-nav, body trim in front and back, I had the dealer chrome the wheels and got an aftermarket full leather interior (green leather with beige stitching on seats, middle armrest, door armrest and doorpanels). Also a bicycle carrier and trailer hitch (for the carrier). Total price was EUR 32.220, which is USD 41.600 at today's exchange rate.

Last edited by Undutchable; 10-26-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Undutchable is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undutchable View Post
Wait till you hear the prices in the Netherlands...

I got my brand new 2012 Insight two weeks ago. It's the Exclusive version in bronze metalllic. Don't know how it compares to EX or LX. It's got paddles, park distance control, rear view camera, auto wipers, auto lights, 16" alloy wheels, etc. The base price is EUR 24.290 (=USD 31.353). Additionally, I got Honda SD-nav, body trim in front and back, I had the dealer chrome the wheels and got an aftermarket full leather interior (green leather with beige stitching on seats, middle armrest, door armrest and doorpanels). Also a bicycle carrier and trailer hitch (for the carrier). Total price was EUR 32.220, which is USD 41.600 at today's exchange rate.
Ok I will stop complaining about the price! That is quite a mark up! Is the mpg the same on the European Insight? I know fuel is more expensive there too -- it's currently $4.60/gal in SF (cheapest station in town) and people are beside themselves.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrown1977 View Post
Ok I will stop complaining about the price! That is quite a mark up! Is the mpg the same on the European Insight? I know fuel is more expensive there too -- it's currently $4.60/gal in SF (cheapest station in town) and people are beside themselves.
Well, I've only had the Insight for two weeks now. Fuel consumption - according to the onboard computer - is 5.6 liters/100 KM, which is about 42 MPG. It's dropping, though. My last tank was 44 MPG.

About fuel prices... It can always be worse... Our going price in urban areas is about EUR 1.71 per liter, which compares to USD 8.38/gallon. We also have gas stations at the freeways. There price is a little higher at EUR 1,78/liter, which is USD 8,72/gallon.

It's all about taxes....
Undutchable is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

The colder weather does drop the mpg. May want to try blocking part if the grill and use less heat. I've found use of the heater prevents ev mode, autostop if not limit it, and even limit fuel cut off when coasting.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh my... those international vehicle and fuel prices have my jaw dropping!

I too was "on the fence" regarding a 2010 Insight or a 2012 model, but went with the 2010 due to a very good deal and a Certified Honda warranty. The 94-mile trip home from the dealer (did I mention it was a really good deal?) resulted in 53 mpg. Not bad for right out of the gate.

Now that I have the 2010 Insight, can someone please educate me on how or why I should use the paddle shifters?

TIA!

Last edited by SilvrHwk; 10-29-2012 at 05:38 PM.
SilvrHwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2010 vs 2012

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.