Help with tires, please - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help with tires, please

Hi guys!

It's been a while since I've posted here- and I'm sure this has been asked/anwered before but I can't seem to find it. My tires are nearly bald and winter is coming to Colorado so I suppose I should search for tires.

What do you guys suggest? My biggest concern is of course keeping my gas milage up. I've read that a lot of tires can really hurt gas milage and to be perfectly honest, I have no clue about any of it.

Before I let a sales person talk me into something- I thought I would ask those wiser than myself.

Thanks in advance!!!
MikoMarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd fit Michelin Energy for my 2 cents worth if you can get them in the USA... I have found the grip (wet / dry) to be good, they are quiet, last for ages and most importantly don't kill the MPG!

Always open to new info though!
JamesK-insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Tire Test Results : When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green

Tons of good data there... I'd probably go for the EnergySaver A/S or Ecopias... whichever you can get a better deal on at the time.

EDIT: Not seeing the EnergySaver in the I2's size on tirerack, so maybe the Ecopias are your best bet.

Sam
-IMAC&C
-Lower grill block

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg

Last edited by samwichse; 11-10-2012 at 01:39 PM.
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
Tire Test Results : When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green

Tons of good data there... I'd probably go for the EnergySaver A/S or Ecopias... whichever you can get a better deal on at the time.

EDIT: Not seeing the EnergySaver in the I2's size on tirerack, so maybe the Ecopias are your best bet.

Sam
Makes for an interesting read - thanks Sam
JamesK-insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

The Michelin Energy Savers are no longer available in the U.S. Michelin has come out with a new tire that replaces several in their line called Defender.
That is the tire we used for replacement in the 2012 size (on our 2010) 185/65/15. So far there has not been much of an MPG hit. But be warned, all brand new tires will give you a hit in the short term. We also have some members who swear by the Nokian WRG2 for wet and light snow use. There are a couple of extensive tire threads, just use the search.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here is the main thread:

Tires Any Suggestions?

I would certainly read through it and make some notes before heading out for tires. Also, the last three sets of tires I bought had to be ordered. Here that only takes 1-2 days. Decide what you want and then mostly shop price. Never settle for what's in stock for anything expensive.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.