just saying hello - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default just saying hello

Hey everyone. Just posting to introduce myself. Just purchased a white 2011 Insight EX with 10k miles on it.

So far I like it. Haven't finished the first tank of fuel yet so I don't know the mileage from the first two weeks yet. I'm tracking on Fuelly.com under the same user name if anyone cares .

I came from a 2003 Volkswagen Beetle TDI. Needed more room and wasn't willing to shell out an arm and a leg for a Jetta Sportwagen TDI.

So, I'm here. Hopefully I will be able to maintain my 45MPG average that I'm oh so used to with my Beetle.

I digress.....HI!
procupine14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome aboard. Depending on where you are in the country or world can effect mpg from the colder weather as well as winter blend fuel and ethanol content. A few of us have found brand as well as grade can have some impact as much at 5 mpg. Seems BP regular is the best.

After about ten thousand miles you will see the mpg pick up. When the starter battery needs replacing you will see a drop in mpg or a behavior where its more regen than assist.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice Cobb.

I'm in the Midwest and it is a 22F day here today (although we have been unseasonably warm so far save for yesterday and today). There is a BP near my house. I will do some experiments with that station and the other filling station (QuikTrip) next door to see if there is any difference.

I had the same issue with the Beetle when I had it. Volkswagens aren't big fans of winter diesel so my mileage dipped significantly in the winter.

I've noticed that the CVT is pretty jerky even if you take it easy on cold mornings. I'm making the assumption that this is normal when you are cold starting this far below freezing.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome aboard Pro!
Cobb's information is good, as usual. I notice higher mileage with BP than any other fuel I've tried. I don't think there's much difference between the '11 and '12 so I suspect you'll be able to get that 45 mpg through the Winter and be flirting with 50 mpg by Spring. If you can keep your speed below 65 mph or just stay off Interstates altogether 50+ will be a piece of cake in good weather.
Good Luck,
Brian
BrianZ54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Brian! Good to know that I have reasonable expectations from this car. Hands down I like this car loads better than I did the Prius. The Prius may do well in MPGs but it is a terrible car in my opinion.

Aside from that, I have a long commute to work but most of it is under 65 mph so things should be pretty good. We will see after the first tank is done. Occasionally I have a lot of traffic on my commute so that will definitely impact the mileage as well.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

How many miles is on your insight? The cvt is sensitive to its fluid and it needs to be changed with your oil like every 10 thousand miles for best performance.

Having come from a supercharged tacoma I am use to releasing the brake petal, waiting a second, then slowly applying gas to prevent the rear tires from going up in smoke.

This is assuming your jerkyness is from a dead stop and going. Now if the jerkyness is around 20-40 mph, thats the egr.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
How many miles is on your insight? The cvt is sensitive to its fluid and it needs to be changed with your oil like every 10 thousand miles for best performance.

Having come from a supercharged tacoma I am use to releasing the brake petal, waiting a second, then slowly applying gas to prevent the rear tires from going up in smoke.

This is assuming your jerkyness is from a dead stop and going. Now if the jerkyness is around 20-40 mph, thats the egr.
Just kicked over 10800 miles. Perhaps it is time for a CVT fluid change then.

The jerkyness is only at a dead stop and is only when it is stone cold first pulling out of the drive way in the morning. After that, I don't have issues with it. Hey feeding throttle slowly is the name of my game. This is the first Automatic trans I've had in awhile.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Oh, wow.... and This "automatic" is a bit unique to a tradational one and the one Honda uses on their other vehicles. We have a metal belt that goes between 2 drums for the ratios and then a clutch pack that is locked and unlocked around 7mph. Its a good idea to go ahead and change your fluid. thats like 50 bucks in fluid and its easy to do yourself. Make sure its CVT fluid either from Honda or a speed shop. Ive been wanting to try ENOS, but cant find it when I need it or have the money.

Another secret to dealing with the jerkyness is to roll to a stop so you stay around the 7mph limit and never come to a complete stop.

I think some have said turning off eco mode or using sport mode helps.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ah cool, makes sense. As I said, the only time it is jerky is the first acceleration out of the drive way (back out shift to Drive and start forward). After that, it is fine.

I've always coasted up to lights in an effort to never have to stop completely (in my mind, that is more fuel efficient) so I suppose I'm doing that properly . So, that's good news.

I will head up to the Honda dealer when they install the Bluetooth and front license plate bracket (that they threw in for free when I bought it) and pick up the fluid from them. I might look around for the other fluid next time around. I have a lot of pretty decent automotive parts stores around (the advance auto parts near me even carried Mann filters for my Beetle )

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thats good. I had a benz and another other than a Mann came apart in the canister. The oil filter looked like a roll of paper towels and was inserted into a long cylinder behind the engine and heled several qts of oil on its own.

I think autozone sells redline or royal purple cvt fluid, but likewise I havent got around to it.

Inaddition to coasting to and through lights you can add a pulse and glide to your in city traffic. I travel down 8 miles of a 45 mph rd with 16 stop lights. Luckly I can hit almost all greens and only have to stop twice tops. Well, Ill do this thing where Ill accelerate to 50mph, then let the car coast down to 40 and repeat.

Then of course blocking part of your grill, increasing your tire psi, lowering your car, etc. You know, the usual eco mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.