Farewell! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Farewell!

Hi everyone,

After only a few months of having my 2010 EX, I had to trade it in. I found that even with the all season tires, the high winds we've been experiencing in MD along with the nasty weather, that I just could barely keep the car on the road. When I tried to drive it through two inches of snow yesterday morning and almost took it off the road at 10mph, I had enough. I recently purchased my wife a 2013 TDI Jetta (drove through that blizzard yesterday evening 400 miles through the PA mountains and NY and this car just plowed through everything) that an older TDI would be right for me. I was able to find a very nice 2006 TDI Jetta and brought it home yesterday morning.

You guys have been a wealth of information, I just wish the car worked better for me. I could see if I lived in a more weather friendly area that this car would be simply superb.

All the best!
JSanta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry to hear of your problems on the I2. We have the same model and year and with upgraded tires and suspension extras it is very stable in snow. Its stability in very high winds could be better. But we have not really had a major issue with this. Hopefully you didn't lose too much money on the tradein. The upgrades on our I2 cost us around $1300 and really improved the stability and handling of the car. Based on the comments on this forum even the stock I2 does quite well in snow. I wonder if your problems in snow stemmed from the tires.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using AutoGuide.Com Free App
WFalicoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the response. There had been handling issues from the beginning and I just couldn't justify putting more money into a car to make it handle better because I didn't know how much I would have to spend to make it handle the way I need it too. I wondered, what would I need to replace to get it there?

My wife's stock Jetta just goes through everything, is stable in the wind, and actually gets better MPG than I was ever able to get out of the Insight (and I tried everything to get my MPGs up).
JSanta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

I love my i2 current setup as I can beat anything as long as I have a non straight section of road, pavement, path, etc in front of me. Once it straightens out, everyone passes me asI lack the acceleration coming out of a turn that they have.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm sure you'll enjoy the new ride.

Honda really should be bent over and spanked repeatedly for the horrible stock tires, though. I mean, just, horrible stock tires.

There's me and several other people on here that will tell you that by just changing the tires out the car performs 100% differently, for the better.

But yea, I have Yokohama Touring-S tires on mine. Work real well. It's snowing here, do pretty good so far in the snow. If I begin to have doubt I'll get off my lazy ass and slap on my Blizzak snow tires. I bought them last year for winter conditions and it only snowed a notable amount *2* times so I wasn't in a rush this year.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I love my i2 current setup as I can beat anything as long as I have a non straight section of road, pavement, path, etc in front of me. Once it straightens out, everyone passes me asI lack the acceleration coming out of a turn that they have.
I hear ya. I've driven low HP rides my entire life. I live for corners, I can count on one hand the number of people who have been able to hang with me.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default disappointed as well.

I might join you in the next year. We have had our 2010 insight since May and started off liking it. The car was doing well and getting over 45 mpgs during our 110 plus degree summer heat running A/C. It has gotten down in the low teens or less and the car performs terribly. I can let it sit for 5-10 minutes and when I shift the transmission into reverse it takes 5-10 seconds to kick in gear and feels sluggish once I start driving. It's almost like I'm driving a stick shift. It started doing this as soon as it got cooler out, like 50 degrees cool. The MPG's have dropped drastically in the cold as well without running the compressor for defrost. I had a tank that was all highway driving and got 33mpgs. Terrible. I wish I would have bought the Honda Fit. I had an 07 Fit Sport and consistently got 45-48 mpgs plus it performed better. This car has been a disappointment. I almost forgot that I bought the NAV screen Insight that gets you lost 30% of the time and even when you pay $150 for the map updates you still drive on roads that have been completed for 10-15 years and they show up as unverified. Honda dropped the ball on the NAV screen as well. Terrible. I've owned two Honda Elements and a Honda Fit and this is nowhere near as good as the others.
tsfarling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Where are you located? I am sure any i2 owner would be more than willing to meet up and take a look. THe worse mpg I managed was 36 on the highway and 29 in the city.

With other vehicles the absolute worse I managed was 6 mpg on a big moving truck and 9mpg on a small box truck. Think I had an econoline that got 9mpg then of course my tacoma and scion xb that got 19.

I am guessing its a combination of bad starter battery, low tire psi, poor alignment just to name a few.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Might want to change the trans fluid as well.
egads is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

i couldnt even get the car to go under 30mpgs by taking off eco and drving with the paddle shifters and in "s"port. i was still getting like 31.2. my 03 g35 sedan got 16-18 average. my volvo s60r got 20. my saturn vue redline got 22. my passat 1.8t got like 26. my cl type s got like 25. my current nissan quest 3.5se gets 23 on a heavenly day. mostly 20. ill take my average 42 anytime. i just miss all the power and speed sometimes.
insigtBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.