IMA Strange Behavior - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
You can check it like you would any other vehicle. You can use a multimeter to check the voltage before you start up for the day or go to an auto supply store to check it.

Mines was 11.7 volts the next morning before I started up. I left mines on a manual charge over nite and fixed it. It should be 12.5 volts.

When its dead-dead the remote wont work and you have to use your key to open your door. Then for some reason the alarm goes off like 5 second later.
Did that permanently solve it or just for the moment? Didn't you put a bigger 12v battery in?
HybridNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjanracing View Post
Not true. Updates and programming are available to any shop that has the equipment and has a subscription to Honda's service site.
And there are so many of those....
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default IMA Strange Behavior

I always put bigger batteries in my vehicles. I like loud music, heavy ac usage and lots of aftermarket lights.

I dont think many shops have an HDS or a subscription. They likely have a generic one size fits all computer and a subscription to its service.

I tried 2 "pimp my ride" type of stores in RIchmond, neither had an HDS or access to the Honda library for system updates.

Tire stores have a generic one size fits all TPMS computer and sensor tools.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

I wasn't even thinking of a Pimp my Ride type of shop. Wy would you use a store that sells fuzzy dice, sewer pipe exhausts, and body panels, as an example of a shop that would have an HDS? Do you shop at Hobby Lobby looking for Home Depot stuff?
Also, as far as I can tell from the TSBs, Honda uses an Ateq TPMS tool. I guess you could call it generic, in that works on most everytiing and is a very complete tool. Lots of tire shops and general repair shops use it too.
My point was that the capability to do updates are available to anyone, it isn't something Honda is, or even can, keep to themselves. I know several shops that specialize in honda that have HDS and do programming and updates. There are plenty of cars out of warranty. There's a choice besides the dealer if one chooses.
kjanracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default IMA Strange Behavior

Maybe you can give us the name of a store in your area that does the Honda updates?

In Richmond we do have quite a fewshops that specialize in imports, however those are German and European vehicles.

The "pimp my ride" store or RPM is know for custom work on all vehicles from audio, suspension, turbos, NOS, etc. Infact they are the ones who reset my TPMS light or half what the dealer did and they actually turned it off for good.

Otherwise the only other special shops for imports is the battery place in Ashland JimE visited who deals with rebuilding oem and aftermarket hybrid batteries. Not sure if he enquired on the ability to offer computer updates.

Now there are quite a few aftermarket hand held programmers, but they exclude the Insight. Hondata just released one for the CRZ.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

As long as my car is covered by warranty I have no problem with taking it to the dealer, especially since I trust the service manager. He is arranging a loaner and it is going in tomorrow. He mentioned a software update. I mentioned this forum and the possibility of a failed 12v battery. I am sure that he will check it over closely. It has been in regen virtually for the last 5 or 6 days. They can't miss it.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'd do the same thing. Please post a follow up, I'm interested in how it turns out. Thanks!
kjanracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #18 (permalink)

For the past couple of months i had been experiencing the same problem. IMA battery almost always in regen and from time to time (on the same trip) total loss of charge.
Measuring the small 12V battery showed a decrease in charge (a little over 12V). I tried force regen a couple of times and it made things better for a couple of hours and then again the same situation.
Took it to the dealer today, put it under HDS and it showed decreased charge in a couple of systems as well as the 12V battery (11,7 Volts after a 5 km drive). Dealer put the battery in a charger for a couple of hours and then i drove off. Things were pretty much OK for an hour or so and then again the same sh*t.
So i went to a local battery shop to purchase a new (bigger battery). Since Cobb and other folks here recommended going to a 51 class battery we tried with that option. But with no success. No matter how we tried we could not squeeze a 51 battery in there. Even after removing the original battery base and case we faced up with two problems: 1) the 51 battery (being bigger in every sense) was pressing firmly against the air intake/filtre. Something i did not like a bit. 2) The 51's ends were thicker and more "up" making it impossible for the existing electrode ends to attach to the new battery. Of course we could have taken it to a nearby car electrician and find a solution by changing electrodes and battery case but... i was tired and bored already. So we fitted a new Bosch battery (same as stock in specs), payed 60 or 81 bucks and i went my way.
I drove for 25km and the result was amazingly different. No drop in IMA charge below medium level and it was supporting more the gas engine.
Now, i know that a few cycles are required to achieve optimum equilibrium between the two batteries but i think a solution has been finally reached.
Note that i had the same problem last year and back then dealer changed the 12V battery with a new OEM one under warranty. This latter battery lasted one year (20K km approx) exactly before it died. Let's see how far i can go this time...
Ehetleos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehetleos View Post
For the past couple of months i had been experiencing the same problem. IMA battery almost always in regen and from time to time (on the same trip) total loss of charge.
Measuring the small 12V battery showed a decrease in charge (a little over 12V). I tried force regen a couple of times and it made things better for a couple of hours and then again the same situation.
Took it to the dealer today, put it under HDS and it showed decreased charge in a couple of systems as well as the 12V battery (11,7 Volts after a 5 km drive). Dealer put the battery in a charger for a couple of hours and then i drove off. Things were pretty much OK for an hour or so and then again the same sh*t.
So i went to a local battery shop to purchase a new (bigger battery). Since Cobb and other folks here recommended going to a 51 class battery we tried with that option. But with no success. No matter how we tried we could not squeeze a 51 battery in there. Even after removing the original battery base and case we faced up with two problems: 1) the 51 battery (being bigger in every sense) was pressing firmly against the air intake/filtre. Something i did not like a bit. 2) The 51's ends were thicker and more "up" making it impossible for the existing electrode ends to attach to the new battery. Of course we could have taken it to a nearby car electrician and find a solution by changing electrodes and battery case but... i was tired and bored already. So we fitted a new Bosch battery (same as stock in specs), payed 60 or 81 bucks and i went my way.
I drove for 25km and the result was amazingly different. No drop in IMA charge below medium level and it was supporting more the gas engine.
Now, i know that a few cycles are required to achieve optimum equilibrium between the two batteries but i think a solution has been finally reached.
Note that i had the same problem last year and back then dealer changed the 12V battery with a new OEM one under warranty. This latter battery lasted one year (20K km approx) exactly before it died. Let's see how far i can go this time...
Thanks for the useful post. I sent a copy on to the service manager. It has been in the shop for 2 days now (free Civic Eco loaner car-don't like it nearly as much as my insight). No answer back yet. The service manager says they are waiting for feedback from Honda.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #20 (permalink)

I wonder if these under hood batteries just die prematurely because they don't get exercised enough? Or is it something with the recharge? (system being not a regular alternator) I have had Honda factory batteries die a little too early in other Hondas, but not this early. I think the one in my wife's van lasted about 34 months & got changed under warranty. I'm used to getting about 4 years out of a 5 year rated battery.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.