IMA Strange Behavior - Page 4 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
Quick question for Ehetleos and HybridNewGuy. Sorry if I missed you saying, but have either of you had the dealer software updates for IMA / CVT behaviour?
I do not think so...
Ehetleos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #32 (permalink)

Sounds "normal" to me.

I have this behavior where I can ride the brakes to a stop, see the SOC climb to almost 100%, then go to accelerate and the meter dips into regen and the SOC goes from nearly full to a bar and recharges for a few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehetleos View Post
The battery quickly went to recharge and gained all its charge in record time. As a matter of fact, it went to full charge many times so no complaints about that (of course the mountainous terrain played its role while traveling downhill).
Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #33 (permalink)

Default Re: IMA Strange Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehetleos View Post
I do not think so...
Ok, some of the behaviour you're both describing sounds a little like my car before I had the updates done (for free at Honda main dealer).

It totally transformed my car's behaviour, especially first thing in the morning, uphill on cold days.

Sent from my MB526 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #34 (permalink)

Yeah, thats the new behavior that pisses me off I have discovered since I removed my phev kit. I can ride the brakes up an off ramp, to a stop, down a hill, etc. I can see my SOC climb to almost or 100% full. I go to step on the gas and the car feels like I have the parking brake up 5 clicks and I see the needle dip right into the regen area vs assist. Soon after the SOC screen empties to reveal a white box with a bar in the bottom of it.

I am awaiting to find someone to service my converter and a sure proof way to balance my lifepo4 cells before I put it back into service.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #35 (permalink)

I was told that my software is the most recent version. Nothing has changed regards to firmware and for the first 26,000 miles plus it did NOT do this. Something has changed. Is it a combination of events including weather that is bringing this out? I don't know. I do know one thing. Honda will fix my car. I will take this to whomever I have to if this is not resolved. Trust me.

Last edited by HybridNewGuy; 02-11-2013 at 08:40 PM.
HybridNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #36 (permalink)

My Insight is at the dealer getting a new rear bumper skin painted and put on.

I asked them to check for software updates and to install them while they have it.

Should get car back tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing what all the rage is about.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Yeah, thats the new behavior that pisses me off I have discovered since I removed my phev kit. I can ride the brakes up an off ramp, to a stop, down a hill, etc. I can see my SOC climb to almost or 100% full. I go to step on the gas and the car feels like I have the parking brake up 5 clicks and I see the needle dip right into the regen area vs assist. Soon after the SOC screen empties to reveal a white box with a bar in the bottom of it.

I am awaiting to find someone to service my converter and a sure proof way to balance my lifepo4 cells before I put it back into service.
Cobb, you have EXACTLY described what I am experiencing. New for 2013. Your battery should be under warranty. Have you had them check it?

Last edited by HybridNewGuy; 02-12-2013 at 01:37 AM.
HybridNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #38 (permalink)

I dont think its a warranty issue. I think it still maybe related to the starter battery under the hood. I may end up replacing it with a deep cycle one if I can get to the Battery Barn during their business hours. I think a nf22 would be a nice fit unless they too offer a deep cycle 51.

Otherwise I drive her like my old mercedes 240d. I floor it, then lift as I reach my target speed. This way you dont get that shock when the extra 13 horses are out to lunch and another 7 are taken away to search for them.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #39 (permalink)

Cobb is sounds like you're saying the IMA system is trying to top off the 12v battery.

If that's the case, perhaps the normal, tiny battery has its own benefit. Small may be better. Hey it's all in how you use it, right?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #40 (permalink)

I got my best summer commuting tank mpg driving that way. Basically heavy footed under acceleration, feather footed cruise.

I think there's something to be said for short, sharp acceleration. Minimises the time spend at low mpg and limits the duration of the battery providng assist. My car seemed to go into regen less often that way.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.