IMA Strange Behavior - Page 6 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #51 (permalink)

You can check the pairs of sticks, 12 cells each through the taps the BMS uses, but to check the cell level, you got to poke and prod the shrink wrapped cells to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #52 (permalink)

It's important to not draw entire conclusions from the MID screen without being completely confident.

The information on the MID battery screen can lag approximately 20 to 30 seconds behind what's occurring in real-time. Happens all the time. It can go both ways, drop to zero or gain multiple bars to maximum in a second. The CHRG needle is more accurate as to what's going on.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #53 (permalink)

The gen 1 guys say its worthless, but from my experience grid charging, balancing and using a phev kit the meter is acurate, however it lags as much as 90 seconds. Ive never got an answer if the meter is slow or if its the whole system, which would explain recals. Recals is when the TAPs between the stick pairs reads off and it goes to recalbrate the whole pack by doing a recharge or discharge cycle.

FYI, dead is 95 volts, full is 117 volts, 90% is 113-114 volts.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:10 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Recals is when the TAPs between the stick pairs reads off and it goes to recalbrate the whole pack by doing a recharge or discharge cycle.
This cannot "necessarily" mean that one or more of the cells are wasted, right? Could be just the "readers" of the rods?
Darn this new technology!
Ehetleos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #55 (permalink)

Right, it could be out of balance, higher IR than the rest, lower state of charge than the rest, etc.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Right, it could be out of balance, higher IR than the rest, lower state of charge than the rest, etc.
How can you tell, then, apart from cracking the battery case open? The HDS will not detect single cell deficiency or reader's efficiency, right?
Any other way?
Ehetleos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #57 (permalink)

You could narrow the cell location to a pair of sticks by the BMS voltage taps.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
They checked all 84 cells? Thats quite an accomplishment!!!!!!! He should get an award or mention in the newspaper........
That is what he said. They had it for 3 days and according to Tom it took hours to put it back together so I hope they checked every little cell. I can only report what I was told.
HybridNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #59 (permalink)

Well, I cant say too much as I was not there.

One of the things that gets me scratching my head is reading how the gen 1 guys test the sticks or groups of 6 cells to rehab a bad battery. Having lived with recharagable cells I always test them cell by cell and try to match them the best I can. Even for devices that used 8 or 9 cells at that.

Its a taboo to talk about how to artifically make your battery throw a code to get a new one under warranty, but there is enough info on this site to figure it out.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, I cant say too much as I was not there.

One of the things that gets me scratching my head is reading how the gen 1 guys test the sticks or groups of 6 cells to rehab a bad battery. Having lived with recharagable cells I always test them cell by cell and try to match them the best I can. Even for devices that used 8 or 9 cells at that.

Its a taboo to talk about how to artifically make your battery throw a code to get a new one under warranty, but there is enough info on this site to figure it out.
How do you test and match an individual cell? Do you charge them for a specific period of time and test the voltage? Does the output voltage after a specific charge period indicate the quality of the cell to hold a charge?

As to making it throw a code, why should anyone have to? (getting on soapbox) I do have to make this observation. I believe you that 10% is the cut off for replacement and I was told that my battery is at 20%. But here is the point: who decides that 10% is the correct replacement value? My battery is 20%. If I have only 20% output of my engine would they say it is good, go home and come back when it is down to 10%? If my transmission was giving me only 20% output would they say that is fine, come back when it is 10%? Even my oil is slated for replacement at 15%. I think this is a unique value assigned by Honda that would not hold up if examined legally. I am no lawyer but I believe warranty repairs need to return the car to proper functionality. If Honda does not make good on my warranty very soon now I may file a complaint with the respective agencies that regulate warranties. I think this is crazy. If Honda doesn't want to swap expensive batteries then design them to be serviced. But Honda, fix your cars when they break. (Off my soapbox, for the moment)

Last edited by HybridNewGuy; 02-18-2013 at 05:04 PM.
HybridNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.