IMA Strange Behavior - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 02:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default IMA Strange Behavior

My 2011 Insight (base) now has about 27,000 miles on it and up until now it has been trouble free. However, lately I have noticed that my IMA system is acting very strange. Essentially starts out in the morning with a battery regen no matter what the charge was the night before. Then for most of the day it contributes a little and then drops to empty and starts a regen again. My MPG has dropped through the floor. I am suspecting a bad cell(s) in the IMA battery, but I was wondering if anyone has seen something like this? I have contacted the dealership (the service manager is a decades long friend and has sent a request for info into their tech support), but so far no answer. Any thoughts?
HybridNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: IMA Strange Behavior

Could be partly down to the weather. Are you running front and rear defrosters, heated seats, aircon much. If it's winter where you are, how does it compare to this time last year?

I typically get a 10-20% drop in mpg on my 9 mile each way commute in the winter compared to summer.

I used to get the car starting off with a regen soon after setting off first thing in the morning too but the recent dealer software updates seem to have changed this. Now it just tends to assist less until it's warned up.

Sent from my MB526 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'd get it to the dealer or a good independent shop that has Honda diagnostic scanner and see what shows up. All parameters of the battery can be read and if there is a low or bad cell, it should show up. There may be a fault posted that doesn't set a warning light. I could be really cold weather and your driving conditions too, but it doesn't sound normal.
kjanracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like the starter battery is checking out.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Besides what Cobb says, which has been reported here extensively; strange behavior with a weak under hood battery (that is under warranty by the way) I would suggest having the dealer hook it up to get the software updates. That will only be available at a dealer, not an independent shop.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjanracing View Post
I'd get it to the dealer or a good independent shop that has Honda diagnostic scanner and see what shows up. All parameters of the battery can be read and if there is a low or bad cell, it should show up. There may be a fault posted that doesn't set a warning light. I could be really cold weather and your driving conditions too, but it doesn't sound normal.
Thanks. I have already had this car through one winter and this is different. I will get it in to the dealer. The service manager is a long time friend and he won't jerk me around.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Sounds like the starter battery is checking out.
I remember discussions about this. How can I check it short of just replacing it? Someone else said that it is under warranty. I would prefer Honda replacing it to me having to fork over the cost.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

You can check it like you would any other vehicle. You can use a multimeter to check the voltage before you start up for the day or go to an auto supply store to check it.

Mines was 11.7 volts the next morning before I started up. I left mines on a manual charge over nite and fixed it. It should be 12.5 volts.

When its dead-dead the remote wont work and you have to use your key to open your door. Then for some reason the alarm goes off like 5 second later.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
Besides what Cobb says, which has been reported here extensively; strange behavior with a weak under hood battery (that is under warranty by the way) I would suggest having the dealer hook it up to get the software updates. That will only be available at a dealer, not an independent shop.
Not true. Updates and programming are available to any shop that has the equipment and has a subscription to Honda's service site.
kjanracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjanracing View Post
Not true. Updates and programming are available to any shop that has the equipment and has a subscription to Honda's service site.
In my case my car is under warranty so I will be heading to the dealer. I will be checking the 12v battery before I get in there to see what may be happening with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.